Thread: Newbie Mirage owner

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Newbie Mirage owner

What's up guys I just bought my first brand new car and it's a 2023 black edition! So far I love it but I want to make upgrades on it but I have no mechanical experience whatsoever. The first thing I want to do is upgrade the suspension and tires because having another adult in the back bottoms out on everything can anyone please point me in the right direction and help me

2. The Following User Says Thank You to H9000 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-12-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H9000 View Post
    What's up guys I just bought my first brand new car and it's a 2023 black edition! So far I love it but I want to make upgrades on it but I have no mechanical experience whatsoever. The first thing I want to do is upgrade the suspension and tires because having another adult in the back bottoms out on everything can anyone please point me in the right direction and help me
    Welcome to the forum!

I believe the Black Edition comes with 15" rims & 175/55r15 tires. I don't see different tires accomplishing much of anything for you. 15" tires on a small car is already a pretty good size. Just for comparison, my Subaru Forester has 16" tires, & I would NOT want them any bigger. My 1990 Ford Festiva with 12" rims & 145SR12 tires had small tires, but they were never an issue the 14 years I rode on them. I noticed you called them baby tires in another thread, but larger tires are not going to solve any issues for you in my opinion. Some may not agree with me, however.

Good 175/55r15 tire (22.6" outside diameter) options, however, are a bit harder to find than 185/55r15 tires (23" OD & only +1.8% tire variance). When it comes time to replace your worn out factory tires, I would consider 185/55r15 tires as an alternative choice. Those who have gone to 195 or wider tires do report more rubbing issues on a Mirage. I have never seen anyone make that complaint with 185/55r15 tires.

One of the forum members (MrFixIt) has done a clip on installing an Ultra Racing Rear Sway Bar -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnGjkWQOabs

One left on eBay today -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173238724389

Once again, I don't think this will fix your issue of bottoming out on bumps. It will improve the overall handling of the car on the road.

I don't have experience in what you really need - stiffer shocks & rear springs. Someone else can contribute there.

Good luck in making improvements!

Edit to my original post here -

This may be a good thread to check out. In his case, however, Top Fuel was doing an upgrade from 14" rims/165/65r14 tires to 15" wheels. You already have 15" rims, & I like the looks of them, too!

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...eels-and-Tires
    Last edited by Mark; 02-12-2023 at 09:13 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new car, sounds like a good one. Now, to help you...

The first thing I want to do is upgrade the suspension and tires.
    Don't. At least wait until you wear out the original tires. You're welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-13-2023),Mark (02-13-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't make any changes right away.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-13-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You must have some monster potholes and speed bumps there. Our G4 has had two adults and a kid in the middle and it didn't bottom out.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Interesting I heard this issue about the G4s suspension bottoming out from other youtube reviews.

I haven't had multiple passengers on the back seat yet.

The only person to ride in the backseat of my Mirage is actually me, when I hired driver to drive me to work I let my mom seat in front.

My mom was annoyed as **** by that idea saying I am being such a diva. But come to think of it since its my car that could be the last time I will get to ride in the back seat of my own car.

Lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atras View Post
    Interesting I heard this issue about the G4s suspension bottoming out from other youtube reviews.

I haven't had multiple passengers on the back seat yet.

The only person to ride in the backseat of my Mirage is actually me, when I hired driver to drive me to work I let my mom seat in front.

My mom was annoyed as **** by that idea saying I am being such a diva. But come to think of it since its my car that could be the last time I will get to ride in the back seat of my own car.

Lol
    I've been a passenger in my 2017 a lot when my friend drives me home from medical stuff. God, she rides the clutch and it freaks me out. Next time she drives me I'll climb in the back to check it out but I'm so full of versed and fentanyl I usually pass out.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)