Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming from the Philippines

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Incoming from the Philippines

Bogeyman here, from the Philippines. Going into two weeks of ownership of a Mirage G4 sedan (M/T). Had a bit of a learning curve since I drove an old-school, RWD diesel for the last ten years, but it's all good. I'm probably having way too much fun with this thing so far, and my biggest fear is that after five years, I still wouldn't have enough of it.

Nice to see an international community dedicated to the Mirage.

Hi Bogeyman - welcome to the forum!

That's quite a change going from a diesel to a 1.2L 3-cyl gasser. Bit of a torque difference, I imagine? Not as much short shifting or starting up from a stop without using the gas.

They're still trying to decide what to do with the G4 here in Canada. Last I read they're "planning" to bring it over, but may change the front end styling or something.

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Hi Bogeyman - welcome to the forum!

That's quite a change going from a diesel to a 1.2L 3-cyl gasser. Bit of a torque difference, I imagine? Not as much short shifting or starting up from a stop without using the gas.

They're still trying to decide what to do with the G4 here in Canada. Last I read they're "planning" to bring it over, but may change the front end styling or something.

Darin
    Thanks for the welcome, Darin.

You said it, it was quite a change. Consider that the one I used to drive had a Mitsu 4D56, with 55 kW (74 hp) at 4,200 rpm and a torque rating of 142 N·m (105 lb·ft) at 2,500 rpm. It had relatively short throws, though, so it's not like I drove a tractor all the time, haha. On the day I took the Mirage home from the dealership, I spectacularly stalled at least five times on the road (sheesh). But then I learned that it already has drive-by-wire, which could partly account for my learning curve.

Truth be told, I initially abhorred the sedan when it first came out, with its seemingly bloated dimensions and seeing how the hatchback was cuter. Turns out that pictures don't do the sedan justice; you have to see it in the metal to appreciate it. What turned the tide for me was the cavernous boot, and the fact that it acts as a secondary crumple zone in the event of a rear-end collision (important on account of my two kids). Eventually, I read about a few of the sedan's advantages: it's relatively quieter, has a higher ground clearance and the ECO indicator lamp is a handy thing to have (I've made a game of making sure it lights up whatever gear I engage).

Yes, I reckon they'll revise the front somewhat for NorthAm/Canada. At least you guys get to have traction control (or is that for the Euro market?). My wife personally prefers the purple hatchback, but we don't have it in our shores.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hope they don't change the front. its sharp

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Bogeyman. Congrats on the car too!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Traction control and ABS is for wussies.

Welcome kabayan!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I spectacularly stalled at least five times on the road (sheesh).

Truth be told, I initially abhorred the sedan when it first came out, with its seemingly bloated dimensions and seeing how the hatchback was cuter. Turns out that pictures don't do the sedan justice; you have to see it in the metal to appreciate it.
    I was hoping to see one in person at the Ottawa Auto Show this month, but I just checked their web site and Mitsubishi isn't even participating! They must really be saving their pennies to skip an auto show.

Yes, I reckon they'll revise the front somewhat for NorthAm/Canada. At least you guys get to have traction control (or is that for the Euro market?).
    Yes, we get the traction control here. Do you mean traction or stability control? What type of driving do you do where traction control is needed? With ice/snow 4 months of the year I can understand the need...

Though I've never owned a car with traction control, and only one with ABS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I was hoping to see one in person at the Ottawa Auto Show this month, but I just checked their web site and Mitsubishi isn't even participating! They must really be saving their pennies to skip an auto show
    They also didn't attend the Detroit auto show.

Wow - really. Well, I hope they're secretly planning to show the G4 in New York next month. That's where they first showed the Mirage hatch.

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Welcome, like you i think the Attrage/G4 looks great in the flesh. It seems a small car from the outside but has lots of room and a massive boot (trunk).