Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil filters

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I Agree!! I think the use of oil filters are over rated. My Volkswagen has a bigger engine(1.5L) holds less oil (Max 2.5Liters) & has never had an Oil Filter. VW recommended regular oil changes (5000 km or 3000mi) & so far I've followed that. I think if you do regular service it's more important then what filter you use. Any filter is better then none, but I can say that a filter that has a color you like is probably a good one
    I'm someone who did 3,000 mile oil changes (conventional oil/cheap oil filter) for decades. I never even considered synthetic oil until I bought my 2011 Forester in 2013 (ten years ago). 0W-20 was just becoming the norm for many vehicles at the time, & it made me re-evaluate things somewhat.

I find some comfort knowing Steve's plastic car (2014 Mirage) went 307,000 miles (before he sold it) without issue. Since he was granted free oil changes for most of those miles, I think he was good about having it done every 5,000 miles (5W-30 conventional oil/cheap oil filter done by a Cadillac dealership).

If given the choice -

I would pick a cheaper Super Tech full synthetic oil/low to mid-grade oil filter changed every 5,000 miles over a top of the line oil & filter brand changed every 10,000 miles.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If a shop is your plan, go to Walmart. Here in Canada you pay close to the same as the quick lube places BUT when you leave you find a 5l jug of Mobil1 in your hatch with 2 liters in it. Every 2nd oil change @ Walmart doesn't require oil which knocks ~$40-45 off the bill. Suddenly it's a $40 change instead of $80. for folks on a tight budget this might make a lot of sense.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)