Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to do oil change myself at the DIY shop (and rent a lift). What do I need?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I've done 15 Mirage oil changes so far. I've done all of the oil filters from the top, but I would do them from the bottom if I had access to a lift.

I use both hands (one on each side of the oil filter) to manipulate the filter once it is loose. Lining up the new oil filter to get it started can be a bit of a pain at times. Using two hands helps!

A stubby handled 3/8" drive ratchet & a 65mm (I believe) oil filter socket allows me to tighten & loosen the oil filter with ease. Most oil filter sockets I have seen are 3/8" drive. I would buy the cheapest stubby handled (shorter the better) one can find.

A short handled one like this works best. I don't need the ratchet because I don't have the strength to do it by hand. I need it to work around the radiator hose with ease.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

example of socket -

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...214863576&th=1

I would try to buy the first oil filter & socket at the same time at some store to make sure it's the right one.

I personally wouldn't do an oil on my Mirage without these two items, but I like doing it from the top. While my pan is draining, I switch out oil filters. Since I have a Fumoto value, I spent less than 2 minutes under the car.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-03-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Seems like some guys with the 5spd mirages can reach the oil filter from the top, this is hard to almost impossible to do if you have a cvt with the larger rad fan shroud.
    With the MT I just need one hand reaching in from the top. No sweat, no effort at all. A thirty second job.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    With the MT I just need one hand reaching in from the top. No sweat, no effort at all. A thirty second job.
    None of us have the 1.0 L Mirage. It may not be comparing apples to apples?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I've done all my oil changes in my 2015 with a CVT from the top. I use the longer Baldwin B1431 which is easy peasy to remove due to it's extra length.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I've done all my oil changes in my 2015 with a CVT from the top. I use the longer Baldwin B1431 which is easy peasy to remove due to it's extra length.
    The 57356 is barely 1/2" shorter and I can't grab it easily. The only way I can reach from the top is to go-go gadget with my left hand. I can do it but it's tight, doesn't help 95% of the fleet cars have the rad supports smashed in. I'll have to try on one of the newest non-smashed in cars one day.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    None of us have the 1.0 L Mirage. It may not be comparing apples to apples?
    The 1,0 and 1,2 engines look totally identical from outside.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    You must have spaghetti arms. I can do it, but it's not easy and I feel like my left arm is being cut on something sharp. It's not been cut yet but it comes out with imprints. It hurts but I do it anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You must have spaghetti arms. I can do it, but it's not easy and I feel like my left arm is being cut on something sharp. It's not been cut yet but it comes out with imprints. It hurts but I do it anyway.
    Ha ha! No spaghetti arms. Arthritis in both elbows, both wrists, thumbs and almost all fingers...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ha ha! No spaghetti arms. Arthritis in both elbows, both wrists, thumbs and almost all fingers...
    A person should do whatever works best for them. I don't feel I can grab the oil filter well enough & rotate it at the same time with my bare hand. A stubby handle ratchet & correct oil filter socket ensures I will get it off & back on with ease.

If someone can grab it with their bare hand & do the job, they should do that by all means. If all oil filter locations were like my 2011 Subaru Forester, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    So far my changes have been done from the bottom, I figure if I'm on the ground for the oil pan bolt I may as well do the rest without getting up. That, and I find placing the catch pan is easier, I'm right there with the stream of oil. I admit I can't even picture how to get at the filter from the topside. Obviously it's easy as you guys are doing it but I just can't see it.

Maybe if used suction for the oil doing it all from the top would be good. As of now, it's working for me so I'll stay with what I know.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)