Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to do oil change myself at the DIY shop (and rent a lift). What do I need?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I can't even picture how to get at the filter from the bottom. I think I've tried it, it was not easy. I may try it again next time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Ha ha! No spaghetti arms. Arthritis in both elbows, both wrists, thumbs and almost all fingers...
    Not picking on you my friend, but it appears just from reading this thread that a lot of us have varying degrees of physical impairments, dexterity among them but it doesn't seem to stop us from maintaining our beloved little cars!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I can't even picture how to get at the filter from the bottom. I think I've tried it, it was not easy. I may try it again next time.
    It's easy if you're standing underneath it. Or rip the splash shield off and leave it off for next time? Some shops that service a few of the Mirage's at other locations have hacked a chunk out of the shield off to make it easier I guess.

I have spaghetti arms and can't get the filter off from above without ripping off a bunch of knuckle scabs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's easy if you're standing underneath it. Or rip the splash shield off and leave it off for next time? Some shops that service a few of the Mirage's at other locations have hacked a chunk out of the shield off to make it easier I guess.

I have spaghetti arms and can't get the filter off from above without ripping off a bunch of knuckle scabs.
    If I had a lift, I would remove the oil filter from the bottom while standing. Now imagine sliding under the car on your back from the front (car only lifted slightly). As you lift your hand up towards the filter, it becomes somewhat of an awkward twist of your arm/hand to grab it. The tiny drain shield directly under the oil filter doesn't help the cause either.

I drive my Mirage up a homemade ramp (height is the thickness of three of 2" x 8" boards made into a simple wooden ramp). I use a cheap mechanic creeper to slide under the car, & I drag two cheap plastic trays with me. One catches the oil from the Fumoto drain valve. The other is placed under the oil filter. I think the angle created by the ramps aids draining through the Fumoto valve, too.

At that height, I can still reach down from the top & remove the oil filter with ease (using a stubby handle ratchet/oil filter socket). By the time I switch out oil filters, the oil pan is pretty well drained. I slide back under with the mechanics creeper, close the valve, & remove the drain pans.

Not saying this is the best way, but it's how I do it with what I have on hand. My homemade wooden ramps each have a 4x4 wooden block added to the end of them (so I don't accidentally drive beyond it).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

defensivetackle88 (04-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Gotta add two centavos: #3 coming up for me. #1 was a huge suckeroo! The filter socket was a waste. Got tired of fumbling with that "two-sizes-in-one" junk and got out the BIG Channel-Loc pump pliers! Once loosened from the gorilla that put it on the rest was easy. #2 was easy off because I did not put #1 filter on but just shy of 3/4 turn after gasket contact. Been doing it that way for several decades...

The only difference with #2 was to SEE the gasket surface and wipe it clean before installing the new filter. The splash shield came off for this. Mind you, this all is done with old me on the ground and Mitsu on ramps.

Maybe some day I will do a remote filter....
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Gotta add two centavos: #3 coming up for me. #1 was a huge suckeroo! The filter socket was a waste. Got tired of fumbling with that "two-sizes-in-one" junk and got out the BIG Channel-Loc pump pliers! Once loosened from the gorilla that put it on the rest was easy. #2 was easy off because I did not put #1 filter on but just shy of 3/4 turn after gasket contact. Been doing it that way for several decades...

The only difference with #2 was to SEE the gasket surface and wipe it clean before installing the new filter. The splash shield came off for this. Mind you, this all is done with old me on the ground and Mitsu on ramps.

Maybe some day I will do a remote filter....
    I agree the single size socket is best, and it's also why I recommend buying the socket with your first filter in the store. Pull the oil filter out of the box and make sure it fits snug. I have a plastic & metal one that's the correct size. They both work great. The plastic one, however, could not remove the factory installed oil filter.

The same oil filter sockets fit oil filters for my John Deere Riding lawnmower & Kawasaki Mule, too. I have an assortment of them after decades of oil changes. I would struggle with using a channel-lock type oil wrench (but I have one & the strap models, too), but everyone should do what works for them. If you can grab the darn thing & twist it off, skip the tools!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-04-2023),defensivetackle88 (04-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Opened the hood this am and tried to loosing the black oil filter by either hands and it went nearly impossible to do so thanks to that front grey hose getting in the way.

I had grips and could only turn the oil at the tip of my fingers. Not my palms obviously. Doesn’t help that I’m tall with thick forearms.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Opened the hood this am and tried to loosing the black oil filter by either hands and it went nearly impossible to do so thanks to that front grey hose getting in the way.

I had grips and could only turn the oil at the tip of my fingers. Not my palms obviously. Doesn’t help that I’m tall with thick forearms.
    This is why I use an oil filter socket & stubby handled 3/8" drive ratchet. I may have shared that a few times on the forum.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hear you, Mark. Just wanted to try it with my hands for the first time. Will try your suggestion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I hear you, Mark. Just wanted to try it with my hands for the first time. Will try your suggestion.
    Yeah, I wasn't really saying that for you. It sounds like you have done oil changes on other vehicles, and the Mirage is really no different.

If someone is doing a vehicle for the first time, I would always suggest making sure you can remove the oil filter before dropping the oil. Especially if you needed your Mirage to go buy an oil filter wrench of some sort.

I suppose someone could add new oil & replace the oil filter after the fact, but some of the new oil would surely be lost in the process.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post: