Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car wont start after attempting to replace brake drums

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Car wont start after attempting to replace brake drums

On Saturday, I lifter the rear end of my mirage to change out the drum brakes. I spent about 3 hours with the car like that while I inspected the drums and how they work. Turns out, someone had replaced them at some point before so there were still fine. I cleaned up the grime and put the old brakes back on, the old drum back on, and drove the car to my usual parking spot (apartment complex).

Next evening, I go to start the car... The starter goes and the car shakes violently for about 5-6 tries before giving up. During the process, many other dash lights come on and the battery light blinks. Then I get a service engine light.

I got the battery tested, 80% and healthy. I checked the coil packs, they are all firmly in place and plugged in and the tubes they go in are very clean. I am going to go get the socket I need to check the sparkplugs while I have that part of the car accessible (it has ~95 miles). My uncle says that it sounds like a solenoid issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

The engine light always turns on when the key is turned to run and engine is off, along with a bunch of other lights. That's how they work.
    So...Does the engine actually crank over? As in, when you turn key to start does starter engage, engine make engine cranking over noises? If so it's probably just flooded.

Sometimes just holding the throttle to the floor while cranking is enough to get it to start(if that's your problem). Otherwise I made a video of one car that was flooded after driving it into the shop. Pulling the fuel pump fuse helped get it going again.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-20-2023 at 06:00 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Nifty_Biscuit (02-20-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^this

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Pulling the fuel pump fuse helped get it going again.
    How hard should he pull on it? Should he pull on that fuse while trying to start the car? And if so, can he reach to where the fuse is and reach the key too? Or will need to get someone to turn the key while he pulls on that fuse?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Maybe it was a relay? My memory is horrible, part of the reason I started making videos is because memory is only gonna get worse from here!

Edit: ok it was a fuse. It might be in a different location on other years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Nifty_Biscuit (02-20-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do these cars flood regularly?
    I drove home in a panic once because the wife could not start the car and it sounded like it was rotating funny.
    I got home and listened closer and then held the accelerator down and it started up a litte rough for 4-5 seconds and has been fine since. It definitely seemed flooded to me but she swears she did not touch the gas pedal when trying to start it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    They flood. But it's not a gas pedal issue. Fummins can detail. Something about cold climates and shutting it off very soon after cranking it up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The engine light always turns on when the key is turned to run and engine is off, along with a bunch of other lights. That's how they work.
    So...Does the engine actually crank over? As in, when you turn key to start does starter engage, engine make engine cranking over noises? If so it's probably just flooded.

Sometimes just holding the throttle to the floor while cranking is enough to get it to start(if that's your problem). Otherwise I made a video of one car that was flooded after driving it into the shop. Pulling the fuel pump fuse helped get it going again.
    So by flooded, you mean the gas in the tank went to the front and flooded the engine? The engine does sound like it is cranking over, as you said.

https://youtube.com/shorts/EpQjkyf3kj8?feature=share

Mine is push to start so I don't have a physical key, I know what you mean though because when you push the button without holding the brake, the car turns on and all the lights come on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I knew about that one. I am just outside of STL. it can get pretty cold but usually not Canada cold.
    The day it happened it was mild. Fall weather. Light jacket temps.

I can't say for sure if the vehicle ran or not prior to the issue but I was led believe it was the first start of the day.

Yeah I see it happen often enough. Usually happens after it's been started and not ran for very long then shut off. The colder it is, the more likely it can happen. You don't have to touch the throttle to have these things flood.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-20-2023),Nifty_Biscuit (02-20-2023),ylekot (02-23-2023)