Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Vehicles You Are (Fo' Real) Contemplating...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We're blessed with only 13%. That would be $2340.00 for a total of $20340.00 if they don't charge anything else. Even the "Admin Fees" are taxed...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    We're blessed with only 13%. That would be $2340.00 for a total of $20340.00 if they don't charge anything else. Even the "Admin Fees" are taxed...
    Yeah, I just did a build and price for Ontario and a cvt base model came to $20,117 before dealer add ons. There are those $500 discounts(loyalty,military,education,and disability) that could theoretically knock off $2000 but there probably aren't many if any that would qualify for all 4.

I assume you'd get the deer in the headlights look if you walked into a dealer and offered 2k under msrp.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yep, already been down the Mirage route. After forced configuration to get the features I need it's actually more like $24k after taxes and stuff that I've been quoted by Mountain Mitsubishi.

I think I'm gonna have to pass because a brand new Nissan Kicks is barely more expensive and seems like way more vehicle with way more features. I've reduced my shopping budget down to cars at $15k price point because I already know that's gonna mean more like $20

I'm gonna just set price alerts for things like civics, corollas, Mazda3s and try to stay on top of the used inventory for now until I can find someone out there who specializes in finding used cars for people.

I heard there are independent shoppers that will do the work of inspecting the important things and working within a budget for used cars buyers. I plan to research this today and hope to find someone.

I am willing to pay just for someone to help me pick a used winner..

If any Canadians are up for the task I'd love to hear about it. Or if you know who to contact. You could put me right beside a lemon of a car and I wouldn't know any better. So I'm in a dangerous spot

PS - something is wrong with the edit button on this forum. It's causing my posts to be deleted. This is my third time rewriting this

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure about the edit button deleting... I used it quite frequently because of misspells.

Before I purchased my '22 Honda Passport, I definitely checked the "lower end" of the spectrum. I'll stand by what I've said in the past: I think the mirage is worth it when if can get a top-of-the-line manual for $19k; maybe top-trim CVT for $20k. While I know there are more "features" in these vehicles today, I still stand by those numbers.

Any more than that, I would look for a used corolla with under 20k miles for $20k.

EDIT:
    Here's a newer corolla with 20k miles for $20k

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Not sure about the edit button deleting... I used it quite frequently because of misspells.

Before I purchased my '22 Honda Passport, I definitely checked the "lower end" of the spectrum. I'll stand by what I've said in the past: I think the mirage is worth it when if can get a top-of-the-line manual for $19k; maybe top-trim CVT for $20k. While I know there are more "features" in these vehicles today, I still stand by those numbers.

Any more than that, I would look for a used corolla with under 20k miles for $20k.

EDIT:
    Here's a newer corolla with 20k miles for $20k
    That's more than double the op's new budget. That car is easy $30k(cad) by the time it crosses the border with shipping, tax, duty etc...

This is one of the hardest to follow topics. How many threads are there about this same guy looking for a car? As for the Nissan goes. I'd rank those right next to a Kia. The Nissans I work on are garbage compared to the Mitsu's and they cost twice as much. The build quality is horrible, especially in the wiring department.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apologies; I skimmed the OP. When I saw he was considering Kicks, I assumed the budget was around $20k.

Good luck finding anything under $10k. Although I did find a 2014 Mirage ES for $10k that I'd buy in a heartbeat.

As far as $ vs CAD difference, I'm obviously shopping on $. Y'all will likely shop in CAD; the vehicles should be proportionate and similar in value.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    Yep, already been down the Mirage route. After forced configuration to get the features I need it's actually more like $24k after taxes and stuff that I've been quoted by Mountain Mitsubishi.

I think I'm gonna have to pass because a brand new Nissan Kicks is barely more expensive and seems like way more vehicle with way more features. I've reduced my shopping budget down to cars at $15k price point because I already know that's gonna mean more like $20

I'm gonna just set price alerts for things like civics, corollas, Mazda3s and try to stay on top of the used inventory for now until I can find someone out there who specializes in finding used cars for people.

I heard there are independent shoppers that will do the work of inspecting the important things and working within a budget for used cars buyers. I plan to research this today and hope to find someone.

I am willing to pay just for someone to help me pick a used winner..

If any Canadians are up for the task I'd love to hear about it. Or if you know who to contact. You could put me right beside a lemon of a car and I wouldn't know any better. So I'm in a dangerous spot

PS - something is wrong with the edit button on this forum. It's causing my posts to be deleted. This is my third time rewriting this
    I agree that this topic has gone a bit all over the place. If someone gave me a Nissan product with a CVT today, I would be selling it tomorrow. A Nissan could look like the best deal in the world, but I would personally pass on it. I'm not going to harp any more beyond that statement.

I really like my 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES manual, but it's not a car I would buy new in today's market. Others are free to think otherwise. I'm actually surprised the Mirage has survived. I'm not saying that because it's a bad car. I say that because Mitsubishi is horrible about how they market it. Trim levels suck from my perspective (no affordable base trim levels exist in the States).

If a 2023 Mirage is going to cost you $24,000+ ($17,620 USD) OTD, I don't blame you for considering something else. Like I have shared before in one of these threads, the Mirage is mechanically the same since 2017. Thus, I wouldn't rule out a used one unless you are stuck on the looks of the 2021+ bumpers. Personally, I like the 2014-15 bumpers the best. The current Mirage bumper just looks like everything else (which doesn't make it special in my opinion).

If I needed an affordable daily driver, I would be searching for low mileage cars like the Mirage, Yaris, Fit, Civic, Corolla, & Scion models. The Toyota Matrix & Pontiac Vibe have an excellent reputation if you can find a low mileage one. I would rather find an older model with low mileage, & try to save a buck that way.

I really feel the Mirage has to be seen as affordable, reliable, & economical to appear appealing. I think the affordable piece is missing today. Yes, it may be cheaper than other new vehicles today, but that doesn't make it the best value! A slightly used vehicle may be a much better value.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe consider a used Micra? New Versa S is too expensive for OP for what it worth.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My apologies for posting too much, was not my intention to create any problems, sorry guys. I have initiated a transfer from my TFSA for $15,000 to my every day bank account. The way we are going to approach this is just use our $15,000 as an ever growing piggy bank until we finally have enough to buy something. Each week will try and add on another 50 or 100 bucks or something and just keep increasing Kijiji Autos and AutoTrader.ca max budget sliders weekly as our budget increases bit by bit.

Second opinion from a better small town mechanic says my wife's 2012 Ford Fusion can be repaired for $3500 if it's just steering and transmission related issues or $5000 if the subframe is too rusted out to be worked on or safe. This car has 235000 km (not miles) on it and l has never had an engine problem. Mostly alternators and wheel problems. The thought of spending $5k max to get it back to good condition is tempting but I researched this vehicle on a site called CarComplaints and they absolutely hate it and have branded it with a "Piece of Crap" badge 😢

I'm guessing at some point and excessive amount of these fail with electronic steering module woes

I'm on the fence as to Nissan Cvt's. The Nv200's at work are holding up. The only one I replaced burnt up because it was driven with a hole in the trans cooler until it quit moving then they managed to get it moving again and finished it off.
    Other than that....the highest mileage one is a 2018 with over 273,000miles(444k km). These have a different model Jatco cvt than the Mirages though. They drive more like a normal grown up car(has power, not as jerky/clunky). Drivetrain seems okay, just everything else is garbage. Heater motors, heater cores, heater resistors, heater box, wiper transmissions, door handles, door hinges, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, tires, heater controls, all wear pretty fast. They're the worst as far as build quality. I tear the center consoles out of each one to do some wiring mods and everyone has the wiring harness ran incorrectly(you can see the clips and where they go but they skipped a step...).
    That's all I got.

As for posts deleting, if you don't click the "keep me signed in box" then you'd better be quick when posting or editing otherwise it sometimes goes mia.

Mirage videos: