Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Vehicles You Are (Fo' Real) Contemplating...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts

Other Vehicles You Are (Fo' Real) Contemplating...

I don't care to pigeonhole this thread down one exact direction. And I do love a good thread digression. However, my original intent is to find out what vehicles any of you members care to have all of us "experts" discuss, and either tell you, "how cool" or "don't do it" kind of feedback.

Which means, it is a vehicle that you all might be considering to procure. Not necessarily to REPLACE the Mirage / Space Star. But it could be maybe you've lost your mind like me and seem to only add cars to the fleet and not sell them.

All street legal vehicles included. Must have to register it for street use in some way. Unless you're considering adding some kind of bicycle that you're going to use for something other than just riding for recreation. Preferably said vehicle would be for some type of duty. Could be recreational duty, as long as it is something that will need to be registered ... to keep our attention. Thread drifting allowed! Except for Mark's tire discussions!

I joke, I love Mark's tire expertise. As I'm not too far out from making expensive tire procurements (for cars other than the Mirage). And may be consulting Mark about those choices in the near future.

So ... here we go. This is something I am SERIOUSLY considering. However, I'm waiting on a couple milestones in my life. But they're not too far away.

Within a year's time, I would like to procure a Boss Hoss. It is a complete ridiculous and fairly worthless motorcycle. A behmouth of a motorcycle with a Chevy V8 engine. The example below would be perfect, but I'll be shopping used, so I may not be able to get Ed Zachery what I want. And I also may just wait and see if this vehicle bubble goes away. I'd hate to spend $10k more than I'd have to.

Name:  BHSS.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  59.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-26-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Early 80's mazda B2000 / Ford Courier
    Name:  b2000.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  97.0 KB
    Also perhaps an electric Motorcycle.
    Name:  Fllow.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  24.3 KBName:  218.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  30.5 KB
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 02-20-2023 at 08:07 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a friend whose dad had a yellow Ford Courier 5MT for years. Slap up some pictures!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I sold off all my Mirages a while ago now since I went with a 2012 Nissan Leaf for around town driving. Liked it so much I sold the Leaf and got a new 2023 Chevy Bolt EV 2LT. Absolutely LOVE that car. Still have a ton of other stuff too... but the Bolt is my everyday vehicle.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  1990-Chevrolet-Cavalier-Z24.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  100.0 KB

The 88 Cavalier Z24.... with digital gauges....and 5 speed. I will never not want this car and will keep looking for an opportunity until I can't drive anymore.

Name:  5646810535_0eee29213e_b.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  63.1 KB

I wouldn't mind a Mirage Cyborg either! Such a cool looking hatch.
    Last edited by precisionxt; 02-21-2023 at 01:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to precisionxt For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Z24 is cool. And, while in college, I wanted a Honda Civic VX hatchback sooooo bad. Never did get to get one. Was always too broke. It looked similar to the Cyborg, just not as ... sporty / racy. I'd still love to have a VX, but I'm sure they're all Fast-N-Furious'd out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

precisionxt (02-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I sold off all my Mirages a while ago now since I went with a 2012 Nissan Leaf for around town driving. Liked it so much I sold the Leaf and got a new 2023 Chevy Bolt EV 2LT. Absolutely LOVE that car. Still have a ton of other stuff too... but the Bolt is my everyday vehicle.
    I know two who recently received their brand Chevy Bolts within the past few weeks. They are brothers actually, & they both took advantage of the $7,500 tax incentive.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    When I replace my Mirage, I'll be test driving the cheapest new cars avaiable still with a manual, and without emergency braking. So right now that is the Kia Rio base 6 speed, and the Subaru Impreza base. But Impreza is a lot more money than the Rio.

A new car would be a big expense for me right now. I want to be mortgage-free first. But say tomorrow, my Mirage goes kaput, and I also had more money to spend, I would want the Mazda CX-3 CUV, or a VW Taos.

But spending over $30k on a car that is for commuting to work, seems like a lot of money.

Oh yea, I also don't like auto-engine shut off when idling, so I think I would go Mazda, instead of Taos.

I will have trouble parting with my Mirage, which I have been driving for 9 years exclusively. Except for rental cars (Hyundai Santa Fe, Mazda CX-3, Lancer Sportback, Mitsu RVR).

But that day will come. I don't want another Mirage just cause I want to try something different.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I don't want another Mirage just cause I want to try something different.
    That makes logical sense. And an excellent post. I recommend the Mazda over the VW.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

A new car would be a big expense for me right now. I want to be mortgage-free first. But say tomorrow, my Mirage goes kaput, and I also had more money to spend.

But spending over $30k on a car that is for commuting to work, seems like a lot of money.

I will have trouble parting with my Mirage, which I have been driving for 9 years exclusively.

But that day will come. I don't want another Mirage just cause I want to try something different.
    I'm in the same boat, I hate having debt. The mortgage is all I have and I'd like to get that done with before buying another car I don't need.

If I were to buy something tomorrow I'd be looking hard at the new fancy Prius. They're obviously not available as a manual but their cvt is proven to be reliable and they're a little sportier than they used to be while still having higher mpg rating than the Mirage.
    I'd avoid Kia like the plauge. They're better than they used to be but they're still just lipstick on a pig imo. The wifes sorento has been ok so far but I'm sure that'll be short-lived once the warranty runs out. It already has a valve cover starting to sweat and when I left it outside for less than a week the thing wouldn't start(-30c) so I had to boost it with my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)