Thread: Space Star 2020 - difficulty in turning the steering wheel

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

Space Star 2020 - difficulty in turning the steering wheel

Mitsubishi Space Star 2020 , automatic - 28,000 km. Vehicle under importer's warranty.
    In the last month I feel difficulty in turning the steering wheel.
    From a visit to the garage they performed a steering wheel alignment on the first visit, they sent to perform a front alignment, the front institute said it was not necessary and sent it back to the garage.
    On the second visit, after they did not solve the problem, they replaced the battery on the grounds that the previous one was defective.
    the problem is still there. The vehicle does not make turns easily, does not make the turn smoothly and you have to use force to make a turn. Feels like the car is heavy and not carrying. It is felt mainly in the morning, but also during the day.
    On one of the trips before visiting the garage, an engine light came on with an error code - P1590, the light went out after a few days on its own.
    what could be the problem? What to demand from the garage? Is it likely that the power steering comb is broken?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPACESTARGGG View Post
    Mitsubishi Space Star 2020 , automatic - 28,000 km. Vehicle under importer's warranty.
    In the last month I feel difficulty in turning the steering wheel.
    From a visit to the garage they performed a steering wheel alignment on the first visit, they sent to perform a front alignment, the front institute said it was not necessary and sent it back to the garage.
    On the second visit, after they did not solve the problem, they replaced the battery on the grounds that the previous one was defective.
    the problem is still there. The vehicle does not make turns easily, does not make the turn smoothly and you have to use force to make a turn. Feels like the car is heavy and not carrying. It is felt mainly in the morning, but also during the day.
    On one of the trips before visiting the garage, an engine light came on with an error code - P1590, the light went out after a few days on its own.
    what could be the problem? What to demand from the garage? Is it likely that the power steering comb is broken?
    I would start here -

Quoting a source -

"Electronic failure is when the electrical systems keeping the power steering running stop functioning. This type of failure can be caused by a fuse issue, so you can easily check the fuse box to see if one of the fuses needs replacing."

If the fuse (electrical part) of the EPS looks good, I would go back for more warranty work. Apparently, something is majorly wrong. These cars are typically super easy to steer. I haven't owned anything else that steers so effortlessly.

I haven't seen any power steering problems with these cars myself but there's another new member that sounds like they have a similar problem as you.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post149721

p1590 is a communication error Are you checking codes with a generic obdII code reader or using a scan tool that can scan the eps module and the other handful or so modules in the car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

SPACESTARGGG (02-24-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't seen any power steering problems with these cars myself but there's another new member that sounds like they have a similar problem as you.

p1590 is a communication error Are you checking codes with a generic obdII code reader or using a scan tool that can scan the eps module and the other handful or so modules in the car?

Do you know if the EPS has its own separate fuse? It would be interesting to see how the car steers if the fuse was pulled out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

SPACESTARGGG (02-24-2023)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Do you know if the EPS has its own separate fuse? It would be interesting to see how the car steers if the fuse was pulled out.

How i can test it? what should i do?
    what this is indicate?

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fummins View Post
    i haven't seen any power steering problems with these cars myself but there's another new member that sounds like they have a similar problem as you.

p1590 is a communication error are you checking codes with a generic obdii code reader or using a scan tool that can scan the eps module and the other handful or so modules in the car?
    i scaned it with generic obd ii. The check engine turned on 10 min after i connected the obd ii to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by SPACESTARGGG View Post
    i scaned it with generic obd ii. The check engine turned on 10 min after i connected the obd ii to the car.
    That makes sense. Some obdII devices make these cars throw trouble codes, that exact communication error. So don't use it while driving if you don't have to. Some will cause abs/traction control faults and kill power to the car. It took me a while to figure that one out. Oddly enough they don't seem to cause issues with any other vehicle that I've tried them on(Chev,Ford, Nissan, Dodge). Mfg said they saw problems with Mitsubishi and some Subaru's.

I can't say for sure but I don't think the cheap generic obdII readers can read anything other than generic obdII codes. If they can read airbag, abs, eps, transmission module codes then I'll have to look into buying one and toss the $1000+ autel I use that you have to pay to update.

If you pull the eps fuse (if there is one?) or unplug the power steering motor on the steering column you'll know for sure the power steering isn't working. If you don't notice any change in steering effort then you definitely have a problem with your power steering system. If it gets more difficult then you'd know it's at least doing something.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I could NOT find an EPS fuse last time I searched (2014 model year only).

You can pull the panel under the dash and unplug the power wire connector to the EPS motor on the column. But if I recall, it's in a tight spot and requires performing a Cirque du Soleil contortionist routine. Or requires hands the size of a 5 year old's. Or both! I forget.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

I just had the big red plastic cover off the postive battery terminal on a 2015. There's a good chance the fuse is in that big chungis. There's a few 60-80 and 140 amp fuses that didn't look very replaceable iirc. A guy could probably just unbolt the proper wire there and give it a go. I'll try that one day.

I'm also curious if you could take an eps module from a 2017 and throw it into a 2014-15 and have better return to center? But if it's anything like an airbag module they're not plug and play. At the least you'd probably have to program the vin into the "new" module>