Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering replacing a Mirage with a Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Considering replacing a Mirage with a Mirage

We have a 2014 Mirage SE with 124,000 km (77,000 miles) and are thinking of replacing it with the same model 2023 Mirage. I know that sounds boring but we can't find any other car that serves our purposes at the price of a Mirage. Since the power train is the same, we would expect to get the same fuel economy -- lifetime 5.1 litres/100 km (46 USMPG). The 2023 has rear view camera, android auto/Apple car play, rain sensing wipers, automatic headlights, and rear heater ducts that we don't have on the 2014. Our winter tires on 14 inch rims should fit on the 2023.
    Is there any reason not to get the 2023, assuming the price is right?

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-27-2023 at 04:39 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    We have a 2014 Mirage SE with 124,000 km (77,000 miles) and are thinking of replacing it with the same model 2023 Mirage. I know that sounds boring but we can't find any other car that serves our purposes at the price of a Mirage. Since the power train is the same, we would expect to get the same fuel economy -- lifetime 5.1 litres/100 km (46 USMPG). The 2023 has rear view camera, android auto/Apple car play, rain sensing wipers, automatic headlights, and rear heater ducts that we don't have on the 2014. Our winter tires on 14 inch rims should fit on the 2023.
    Powertrains wouldn't be exactly the same, because of the 2017+ updates (78 hp). I haven't driven a 2014-15 Mirage with 74 horsepower. I am not sure how steering & suspension vary? Someone like Dirk could answer that for you.

If you like all the extra features of the 2023, I say go for it.

Tire & rim sizes haven't really changed since 2014.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    CarPlay is not wireless on the mirage and its limited to certain trim levels. Also even the 2015 i own has rear heater ducts.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    CarPlay is not wireless on the mirage and its limited to certain trim levels. Also even the 2015 i own has rear heater ducts.
    There are odd 2014 builds out there. Mine was titled an ES but had SE climate control among other things
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That extra 4 horsepower would be nice to have as long as the fuel economy doesn't drop.
    One thing that I don't like about the 2014 is that the steering doesn't self-centre after a turn. I think that I've read that problem was reduced in later years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

I'm pretty sure all these cars have the rear floor vents. The 2023 isn't any different than my 2014.
    I thought my 2014 with 306,000km drove alright, then I drove a couple 2023's and was almost tempted to just buy one case they drove so much better. Almost like a real car!

I didn't notice much difference in power, but I have a 2017 engine in mine with the unnoticeable extra 4hp.
    I dont know what real world mileage is on the 2 2023's at my work. One car was just put into use this week and the other one still hasn't turned a tire.

The tires from your old car will switch over to the new model unless you buy the GT that has 15" wheels. Wheels will bolt on. If you are concerned about saving a few hundred dollars worth of snow tires maybe you should price out the cost of a new windshield on the 2023 Mirage ahead of time.
    ICBC probably offers better/cheaper glass insurance than I can get here, but I don't bother cause a windshield for my 2014 is $200, I priced one out for a 2023 and it was $1000(dealer only) plus install.

My 2014 sounds the same as yours, take a corner and let go of the wheel and it'll just keep on turning. The 2017's started to self center much better than the 2014-2015's. I didn't drive the 2023's much and can't recall if they are any better than the 2017-2019's at work...

As for any reason not to get a 2023? Not that I can think of. It's your money. Financially it'd probably make more sense to drive the one you have into the ground then just keep throwing junkyard parts at it until they're unattainable. But it's nice to drive something new, less worry's of break downs, it's shiny, everything is tight, no clunks, no rattly air cleaner housing. But in 2017 they changed the exhaust design so it's prone to wear out exhaust hangers and cause annoying resonance noises. Easy fix but the 2014-2015's never had this issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-27-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. We should probably keep driving the 2014 since it has been trouble free and is no longer depreciating significantly. The main reason to buy the 2023 is to get a new car before there are any problems with the old one -- whenever that may be. The extra features on the 2023 would be nice to have but are a long way from necessities.

We have considered getting a hybrid car, but my research says that we would pay a lot more for the car and end up getting about the same fuel economy as the Mirage.

I haven't put any entries into the "view my fuel log" since 2015, but the numbers are exactly the same as my own log which is up to date. The fuel consumption is a little higher in winter and lower in summer, but overall very consistent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MiMi For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-25-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Powertrains wouldn't be exactly the same, because of the 2017+ updates (78 hp). I haven't driven a 2014-15 Mirage with 74 horsepower. I am not sure how steering & suspension vary? Someone like Dirk could answer that for you.

If you like all the extra features of the 2023, I say go for it.

Tire & rim sizes haven't really changed since 2014.
    There's no noticeable difference between 74HP & 78HP, it's miniscule IMO.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    The biggest thing you'll notice from going from a 2014 to a 3rd gen is the brakes, they're a bit stronger. I'm not sure about Canadian trim levels but in the US, the base 2021 - 2023 ES comes with a lot more amenities including 7" Alpine touchscreen (better quality than you'd expect from an econobox), Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay, a manual 6 way adjustable driver seat, cruise control, the steering wheel has a volume switch, a button to "ask Google" about anything, and that's about it. My 2014 DE CVT had auto HVAC, which blew my mind, as does my 2021. Performance is completely the same.

If you go up to the LE trim, you get 14" alloys and a fancy metal knob shifter.

The BE, you get a different seat fabric design, more interior chrome, soft touch material, fog lights, faux-leather wrapped steering wheel and good looking 15" black alloys.

Top trim SE, you get all of the above plus a nicer blue/white speedometer display, not the orange light most have, push button start, arm rest (not the console though weirdly), 15" silver alloys and ONE proximity key. Also the BE and SE has a lot more piano black in the cockpit.

One proximity key is a joke! I think Mitsubishi wants $700 USD for a spare one too!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Also, the shell of the 2014-15 will be the collector's item in the future I bet, especially if you had the rare kiwi green or plasma purple. I know the 3rd gen front fascia was changed to implement the "Dynamic Shield" look bs but the 1st gen still has a lower drag coefficient I'd venture and it simply looks better when modified IMO.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-25-2023)