Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering replacing a Mirage with a Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    +1 on how rare those 2 colors are now! When those colors were available I would have bet $$ that the plasma purple would be the rarest. I've seen a couple of plasma purple in the wild but never a kiwi green one except for yours Dirk (and yours was only on the forum of course).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    +1 on how rare those 2 colors are now! When those colors were available I would have bet $$ that the plasma purple would be the rarest. I've seen a couple of plasma purple in the wild but never a kiwi green one except for yours Dirk (and yours was only on the forum of course).
    I miss it. I also miss the rubber ding strip I had on it and the fog lights too. I'd switch shells with my 2021 if I could!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    We have a 2014 Mirage SE with 124,000 km (77,000 miles) and are thinking of replacing it with the same model 2023 Mirage. I know that sounds boring but we can't find any other car that serves our purposes at the price of a Mirage. Since the power train is the same, we would expect to get the same fuel economy -- lifetime 5.1 litres/100 km (46 USMPG). The 2023 has rear view camera, android auto/Apple car play, rain sensing wipers, automatic headlights, and rear heater ducts that we don't have on the 2014. Our winter tires on 14 inch rims should fit on the 2023.
    Is there any reason not to get the 2023, assuming the price is right?
    I recently replace my 2015 Mirage ES with a 2023 Mirage SE and my new mirage is much nicer.
    The transmission is better, suspension is stiffer, all of the accessories are much better.

If I could have afforded it I would have gotten the GT trim.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleadus_fetus For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-27-2023),MiMi (02-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    At 77,000 miles your car still has a LOT of trouble-free life left in it. Mine has 215,000 miles (346,000 km) and just needed it's first major engine repair: a water pump. It still purrs like a kitten.

There were incremental changes made to the Mirage over its going-on-ten-year production life, but the car is basically the same as it was a decade ago. Bumpers, shocks, springs, brakes, gadgets, etc, have slowly been improved, but the only real reason I see to buy a new one is if you are so enamored with the Mirage you'd like to start over with a fresh odometer before they are discontinued or replaced with French junk.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-27-2023)

I had a 2017 in the shop last week with 491,000km/305,000miles. Same cvt and engine. It actually runs like a sewing machine, not even a hint of knocky knocky. And.... I have zero records of ever replacing a cvt filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-28-2023),Dirk Diggler (03-03-2023),MetroMPG (02-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    One thing that I don't like about the 2014 is that the steering doesn't self-centre after a turn. I think that I've read that problem was reduced in later years.
    Correct. The way they fixed it is weird, though: they programmed the electric power steering to "nudge back" toward center. "Active" self-centering!

Thread: EPS (electric power steering) actively self-centers steering for 2017 (video)

All that said, my current 2014 doesn't "stick" after a turn nearly as much as I recall some other 2014's did. I don't find this one to be weird. (Or... Stockholm syndrome, maybe?)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I vote that you keep your Mirage and add a new one to the fleet ... if at all possible. Especially if you're considering trading in your old one. They're not going to give you anything near what it's worth, so might as well keep it.

One question: Your mpg numbers of 46 average ... do you have a manual transmission? That sounds like MT mpg numbers. If you do have a MT, keep it for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

One question: Your mpg numbers of 46 average ... do you have an automatic transmission? That sounds like CVT mpg numbers. If you do have a CVT, keep it for sure.
    I agree those numbers seem high for a cvt but I've gotten almost 49mpg to a tank running snow tires. That took a lot of willpower though.

The op's sig shows automatic so I'm guessing it's a cvt unless that's a typo? Depending on where on the Island they are I assume the winter temps are milder than over here, so that'd help a lot with average mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Another reason to wait: it's reasonable to think that 2023 is probably the last model year for our favourite little econobox.

You'll probably get a better deal if you wait for leftover cars early next year. Supply chain price inflation will have eased even more by then, too. (New & used prices are already coming down, on average.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-28-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Correct. The way they fixed it is weird, though: they programmed the electric power steering to "nudge back" toward center. "Active" self-centering!

Thread: EPS (electric power steering) actively self-centers steering for 2017 (video)

All that said, my current 2014 doesn't "stick" after a turn nearly as much as I recall some other 2014's did. I don't find this one to be weird. (Or... Stockholm syndrome, maybe?)
    I never realized my Saturn had EPS which was a surprise when I found it. It did explain the feel of the Vue, being somewhat like a Mirage except it would center properly.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)