Thread: Gorilla brand or JB Weld?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Gorilla brand or JB Weld?

I am going to use epoxy putty for a winch repair.

I have experience with JB Weld products, I don't rate them highly, I put them on the same level a dollar store stuff. I'm talking about the 5 minute epoxy in two syringes that squeeze out equally.

I have experience using epoxy putty. I wish I could recall where my last batch came from, it was very easy to work with and durable. I swear I had a unopened tube or two before I moved. The brand is unknown.

So here are my choices, cost is no issue, I want the easiest and most durable product.

JB Weld: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/j...p.html?loc=plp

Gorilla: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...p.html?loc=plp

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I just typed out a big story about how it's sometimes easier and cheaper in the long run to just replace something than fix it but should ask what exactly you're trying to jbweld? If it's a critcal part of the winch I'd probably either try to find a replacement part or replace the winch with the same type and use the one you have for parts or not. Can get a winch at crappy tire for under $100. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...html?rrec=true
    I've never really had much sucess using jb weld kinda stuff other than when in a pinch to block off a brake line fitting one time. Used the quick set stuff and it worked fast and held for what I needed it to do.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just typed out a big story about how it's sometimes easier and cheaper in the long run to just replace something than fix it but should ask what exactly you're trying to jbweld? If it's a critcal part of the winch I'd probably either try to find a replacement part or replace the winch with the same type and use the one you have for parts or not. Can get a winch at crappy tire for under $100. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...html?rrec=true
    I've never really had much sucess using jb weld kinda stuff other than when in a pinch to block off a brake line fitting one time. Used the quick set stuff and it worked fast and held for what I needed it to do.
    First, that CTC winch is nice, comes with a $20 snatch block and can be easily converted to a wireless remote for $25 more. If it were on sale I would likely buy it and keep mine as a spare parts rig.

My winch was shipped with the top half of the foam packing missing. So it was a display or a return. It bounced around in the box and destroyed the plastic pull out clutch release knob. About 60% of the knob is still there but there's no way to pull it out to disengage the clutch without using side cutters underneath as a lever. The winch does function OK if I use power to feed it out, it just takes some time.

I thought I could first fill the missing 40% and let it set then came back and put a layer of epoxy over the entire top of the clutch knob then on the third day add some epoxy to the underside of the clutch knob thereby completely encasing it in epoxy.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Gotcha, I was hoping you weren’t trying to repair a broken drum or something.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Devcon is the epoxy the pros use... but it is priced accordingly too.

But man does it work. We fixed a 3-71 GM Detroit Diesel block with a 2" hole in it with that stuff.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cigarette ashes and super glue. Look it up!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Gotcha, I was hoping you weren’t trying to repair a broken drum or something.
    I'd break out the MIG or TIG after I figured out what kind of metal the drum was made from. Actually, on second thought, if the drum breaks below the rated capacity I'd just junk it. The whole winch is likely sub standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Devcon is the epoxy the pros use... but it is priced accordingly too.

But man does it work. We fixed a 3-71 GM Detroit Diesel block with a 2" hole in it with that stuff.
    I've heard of Devcon. But right now it's getting a bad rap on AMazon for the resin hardening on its own. Not risking $40 for that to happen to me.

So, the jokes on me I guess, I'm buying some Permatex putty epoxy with steel for $11. It has a longer expiry date than Gorilla or Jb. I'll report back if it's any good.