Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought an EV...wait...Sold my EV...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, definitely want the 240V plug if you're going to own an EV. Chevy covered the install for the plug when I bought my 2023 so that was pretty sweet.

-Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    When I get me an EV, I'm going to tow the below around with my EV so a) I never run out of charge, b) can charge anywhere, and c) eliminate range anxiety. I'm going to have it custom wired to where I can leave it plugged in all the time even while driving and let that generator run even when it's being towed.
    Name:  Mobile Generator.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  21.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Alpha_One (03-20-2023),Fummins (03-01-2023),MetroMPG (03-01-2023),Top_Fuel (03-01-2023)

Very cool EV story, Top Fuel. Thanks for the details and congrats on the flipski!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    When I get me an EV, I'm going to tow the below around with my EV...
    Forget that. Just hook a generator to the back wheel to charge while you drive.

What...the...

Name:  generator.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  46.3 KB

Please explain this photo

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Forget that. Just hook a generator to the back wheel to charge while you drive.

What...the...

Name:  generator.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  46.3 KB

Please explain this photo
    What a genius, a perpetual motion machine....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I would just put some wind turbines on the roof.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That would be an interesting experiment. Would the extra charge overcome the added drag of the wind turbines? Don't forget the roof mounted solar panels for the day time travelers, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Noooo, just create a ram air type contraption that would feed the forced air to a small fan generating electricity behind the grille. Minimal impact on drag since it would not alter the air flow of the vehicle dramatically .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There are entire threads on the Bolt forum with suggestions on how to keep warm while minimizing using the heater. How about a 12-volt heated blanket? Yeah...some people do that.

The best case scenario is to have your EV plugged into a 240 volt charger at home. Then you can "pre-condition" the car (think of it as starting the car and warming it up) but you are using household current to do this...not the car's battery power. It takes less energy to maintain a warmed up interior than it does to warm up a cold interior. So heat up the car before you leave, then you won't need as much energy to keep it warm. Sounds good on paper!?!

That's why I keep telling people to do the research before you buy one of these things. If you don't have a garage and/or a way to plug in to 240 volts at home, owning an EV in really cold weather might be a serious pain in the azz...especially if you can't charge it at home.

Driving in snow hurts your range, too. So try to avoid that. LOL...I read that as a tip somewhere.
    I somehow doubt EVs will be affordable and come with enough range to satisfy me before I quit driving. Tesla has publicly denounced their $25,000 car. It's not going to happen. The world is an oil based economy and has been for 100+ years. Do TPTB really think they can break that stranglehold without upsetting the world economic applecart? What happens to the USD? It's only strong because all oil sales are conducted in USD. That keeps $ demand high.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Sure, at some point used EV's will be available for cheap again - suitable for use as city cars due to declining battery capacity.

Prior to the chip/car inflation problem, it was already happening with older Leafs, with say 70-90 km range. People were picking them up for $3 - $4k.

I've seen older iMiev's with repairable mechanical & electrical problems for peanuts.

At some point, Bolts will be cheap too, and even with degraded batteries, they'll be much more useful because the initial capacity was so much higher.

You'll probably always have an ICE car as backup & for longer trips anyway, so an older EV will work as your around town / errand car.