Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bought an EV...wait...Sold my EV...

I dunno, I'm still not sold on ev's taking over the world. They are cool but there's gotta be something that's better. I wonder if hydrogen will take off? Maybe we'll have a car that runs off dog crap and potato peels one day?

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Fummy, have you driven one yet?

My favourite thing about EV driving is the serenity of the experience. It's almost magical being whisked along in near silence. It's calming. Makes even a cheap EV feel somewhat luxurious.

I drove a $1000 home-built EV for about 5 years, and I almost always chose it over the ICE car for local driving even though it was built from a clapped out '92 Metro, and was slow as crap. (How slow?? My little nephew could out-accelerate it on his bicycle from a standing start up to his top speed!)

But at least it had a manual transmission!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-01-2023)

No, I've never been in one. I'm sure I'd be hooked if I did. I just can't get past the price and the battery degradation, though takes a long time. I just learned about the Mazda EV that's kinda comparable in price to a Bolt, but the range is chit at 160km! I can imagine it'd be worse than a 10 year old leaf come winter time.

I'd still like to try one, there are a bunch of free chargers not far from my house but they're probably the slow kind. I could easily run 220 into my garage though. I really don't drive far enough to really worry much about range, if I do go out of town I usually take the truck, could always take the wifes korean trash can or just rent a car.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

You mean the weird looking MX-30?

Interestingly, Mazda announced a "range extender" version with a 1-rotor Wankel generator. Basically now it's a Mazda Volt.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-...nder-revealed/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-01-2023),mohammad (03-02-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Maybe we'll have a car that runs off dog crap and potato peels one day?
    They used to have them that ran off wood, so why not??? https://www.amusingplanet.com/2022/0...at-run-on.html
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-02-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Can you take a Tesla on a TD?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hear Hyundai makes a good one
    Check into hyundai/kia insurance info before making the jump. Apparently even some new cars are being denied by insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Forget that. Just hook a generator to the back wheel to charge while you drive.

What...the...

Please explain this photo
    Someone put a gasoline generator behind their tesla so they can drive and charge at the same time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This was very interesting, as someone who is an EV skeptic (but can totally see a use case for one as a commuter someday).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rohoGames View Post
    This was very interesting, as someone who is an EV skeptic (but can totally see a use case for one as a commuter someday).
    I have two friends who have bought 2023 Chevy Bolt EVs in the past few months. MSRP starts around $27,000. Take advantage of the $7,500 incentive, and they are in the Mirage price range. For a daily driver to work & back, it fits the bill for them.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-20-2023 at 12:10 AM.

I just can't justify flogging my car to get a new ev. I probably spend under $1000/year in fuel and maintenance for my Mirage. A new bolt up here is close to $40k, there is a 5k rebate but still, I can buy a lot of gas and beer for 35k.

Mirage videos: