Thread: Cost of rust protection

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Cost of rust protection

How much is it going to cost to do rust protection for mirage nowadays?

Do you guys do rust protection? I知 in in Canada, picking up my brand new Mirage next week. I知 thinking about adding rust protection. Any info appreciated 🙏

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Look up a local Krown dealer. A treatment is $139 for any car (in the US). This stuff works. I get my car (a 2015) treated every few years and it has zero body rust. The bottoms of my doors are spotless and under the hood still looks great. It has very mild surface rust on some suspension parts. But overall it's been a great product. I buy a spray can of the stuff when I get my car treated and use it to do "touch-up" sprays in-between treatments.

You can buy other products to apply yourself, but for $139 Krown is a good option if you don't have the time/facilities to do that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage2023 View Post

Do you guys do rust protection? I’m in in Canada, picking up my brand new Mirage next week. I’m thinking about adding rust protection. Any info appreciated ��
    Do cars where you live get rusty from the salt in the air like some Florida cars? I've seen cars from there that look like swiss cheese they have so many holes in them.

If you go with Krown make sure they drill and make sure they saturate under the hood. I had to go back as the cheap *******s didn't spray under the hood.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Do cars where you live get rusty from the salt in the air like some Florida cars? I've seen cars from there that look like swiss cheese they have so many holes in them.
    I didn't think cars rusted in Vancouver, I thought it was like the California of Canada.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-13-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes, I知 in Vancouver BC Canada. I知 planing to keep this car for a long time. I am trying to make it rust proof. I don稚 know where I can get it done beside doing it in by the dealership. I don稚 know how much should I pay.

Too fuel, thanks for introducing Krown to me. I知 going to look for it in my area.

Wallythacker, what does it mean by making sure they drill? Please give me more details. Thanks for telling me that I need to do it under the hood.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fummins, I don稚 know how bad the salt they are using for the winter is going to rust my car. it is my first time buying a brand new car and driving it in Vancouver BC. Are you living in metro Vancouver BC?

Fummins, I don’t know how bad the salt they are using for the winter is going to rust my car. it is my first time buying a brand new car and driving it in Vancouver BC. Are you living in metro Vancouver BC?
    No, I dont' live there. I've been there a time or 70 over the years. Maybe things are different and they use calcium chloride there all the time.

What Wally means by drill, is the rust proofers will drill holes into parts of your brand new car and spray the magic solution into the places they can't get to otherwise like into your door, rockers, rear 1/4 panels, etc...Guys in the rustier part of the country swear by it and I'm sure it helps. I've never tried anything like that so they'd know more than I.

But...I wouldn't bother with dealer-offered undercoat crap. The stuff that I've seen done was just some rubbery/black tar crap that was slopily sprayed along the bottom of the car. It just collects salt and dirt, then rusts from behind worse than if the car was left alone. But that's just what I've seen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts

Do you guys do rust protection? I’m in in Canada, picking up my brand new Mirage next week. I’m thinking about adding rust protection. Any info appreciated ��

Mine is a 2014 and I rust-proofed it myself before it became bad. The earlier it is done, the better! If you rust-proof it after a year or two, it will be so much more work. Today this car looks just as rust-free as when it was brand new, and I live in the rust-belt of Europe!

What was done:
    The car was thoroughly steam pressure cleaned underneath. That removes dirt and any trace of oil, wax, grease. The front and rear axle bodies were thinly painted with a solvent-based undercoat. The undercoat product was "Hammerite Rust Blocker", and applied with a paint brush, but practically any solvent-based undercoat will do. The undercoated axle bodies were painted twice with the same sort of paint used for steel bridges, ocean going ships, etc. Ask a professional painter if in doubt what product to use. Always apply an undercoat first, even if it says "all in one undercoat and paint" on the can. That ensures the paint will actually stay on and not flake off. Today the axle bodies look both like brand new on this 2014 car. It was a total of only a few hours work, but worth it. Certainly better than spraying gooey "professional treatment" all over, and having it needed to be touched up yearly or bi-anually. For both axles you need no more than one can of undercoat, maybe one or perhaps two cans of metal paint. Rattle can products are certainly no good for this job, because the resulting paint layer is much too thin.

Perhaps you may want to remove the front and rear bumpers, and undercoat and paint the obvious areas that become visible. Takes about another two hours.

The next step was to apply cavity wax. There are several good products on the market, many come with a long tube for spraying deep inside cavities. I used brand Teroson, but there are many other equivalents on the market. Before actually starting, remove all the rubber plugs you can find. Also remiove the lower cladding to the left and right in the luggage compartment. That gives access to the rearmost area abopve the rear "bumper" cladding. The lower seams of the doors is worth doing. Be thorough and take your time. It can be done properly within a couple of hours easily. Two or no more than three 500mL (1 pint) cans should be enough. While spraying put newspaper or cardboard underneath the waxing area to protect your garage floor from drips.

There are plenty of threads on this topic in the forum, use the search function. You will find plenty of recommendations for inferior spray-on treatments, stuff usually sprayed over the top of existing rust, but better rely on your common sense than pay throgh the nose for inferior trash.

The cost of all was about €30.- (US $30.-) for materials. More expensive products at a more expensive store will obviously cost more, but shouldn't cost more than €50.-/ US $ 50.-. The rest was my own work hours. This job was done properly in the first place, nothing needed to be re-done. You could do it yourself. No gooey muck soiling the underside of the car and hiding the rust, and no being ripped-off..
    Last edited by foama; 03-02-2023 at 06:17 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-01-2023),inuvik (03-01-2023),mohammad (03-02-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Very detailed and useful info sharing! Thank you so much! Appreciated 🙏😍🥰