Thread: 2015 Mirage no start after 30 seconds of driving. What is going on?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2015 Mirage no start after 30 seconds of driving. What is going on?

So I was taking singer to the other side of town today to get a battery replaced in my old laptop. About 30 seconds after leaving the house I pulled over and turned off the car, because I remembered I needed to send a text. I sent it, then went to start the car again. It turned over as per usual, then almost started (I could hear the engine) but it was very rumbly, as in the steering wheel was actually vibrating.

So I waited a minute, then pulled out my phone and took this video. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eeGTlq2JDWI

In the video, the engine turns over, then basically started for about 3 seconds. It is hard to see, but the steering wheel vibrates with the engine, then it stops.

I have NEVER had this issue when doing a cold start. If the car has been sitting longer than 15 minutes or so, it starts up no problem. But this is the third time now that it has started, been run for a short period (last time was about 3 minutes, a drive down the hill when my dad needed to pick up some wine) and then refused to start. Both times previous, after about 15 minutes or so of waiting the car starts up again like usual.

What is going on? Any guesses?

What I do know is that I am going to stop turning the car off unless I need to, especially after short drives.

The car is sitting on the road right now, I think I might go give it another shot after I post this.

**Also for those unaware, Singer is named that because the engine has a tick, that it has had since I purchased the car in 2021.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They flood easily if they are started & shut down without really driving & getting them warm. Go back to Singer, hold the throttle to the floor, crank it till it starts & release the throttle when it starts. I think some early ones had a reflash that would help this, but some others may know more about it then me. Good Luck !!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-04-2023),MiMi (03-04-2023)

If you still can't get it going give this a try I've had some that were a sob to get going after they flooded. Starting then shutting off shortly after is what floods these turds. I haven't seen it happen in the 2019 or newer cars(yet) but have a lot in 2015 and 17's. Usually if they're outside they start back up easy enough if they have a decent battery. If in the shop they're often a biotch to get going, I recently tried removing the fuel pump fuse in that video and it worked great.

When cranking over you don't even need to let go of the key, hold it all day long if you want. The starter will shut off once it's running. Or at least it should...These cars have some anti-grind(idiot proof) feature. When it's running you can try to engage the starter and it's disabled.

One other way these flood is by letting go of the key before they're running when it's cold. If they don't start on the first try they're usually flooded.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    They flood easily if they are started & shut down without really driving & getting them warm. Go back to Singer, hold the throttle to the floor, crank it till it starts & release the throttle when it starts. I think some early ones had a reflash that would help this, but some others may know more about it then me. Good Luck !!!

Ahh okay thank you. I walked back after about 15 minutes with my multimeter. Checked my battery, read 12V. Then tried again and it started right up. No more short runs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins
    If you still can't get it going give this a try I've had some that were a sob to get going after they flooded. Starting then shutting off shortly after is what floods these turds. I haven't seen it happen in the 2019 or newer cars(yet) but have a lot in 2015 and 17's. Usually if they're outside they start back up easy enough if they have a decent battery. If in the shop they're often a biotch to get going, I recently tried removing the fuel pump fuse in that video and it worked great.

When cranking over you don't even need to let go of the key, hold it all day long if you want. The starter will shut off once it's running. Or at least it should...These cars have some anti-grind(idiot proof) feature. When it's running you can try to engage the starter and it's disabled.

One other way these flood is by letting go of the key before they're running when it's cold. If they don't start on the first try they're usually flooded.
    Interesting glad I posted about this. New battery as of last year so it had no trouble getting going again! Thanks for the help guys.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Cool

Twice I have shut off my 2017 without letting it run longer. Both times I did so I got really lucky, It just managed to catch and run after a scary long cranking. It's normally 1-2 seconds but it took at least 3-5 seconds. It was cold-ish and damp in Dec. Now I try r4emembering to leave the key in start until the engine is truly and well going.

I should mention my Dad had a Santa Fe that would never, ever start without 1-2 hours elapsing since the last cold start without a thorough warmup. there was no such thing as a short trip in below freezing weather unless you wanted to be stranded for hours. It was a 2004 with 50k miles and this was in 2011. POS.

Dealer had no clue, they replaced all sorts of stuff, some under emissions warranty, some not. The problem was always there. Talking to other Santa Fe owners revealed this was a common issue. My Dad turned down a new loaded 2007 Grand Caravan or the same money. In hindsight those Caravans had horrible unreliable trannies although ours, next gen and abused by the ex could not be killed.

Last edited by Wallythacker; 03-05-2023 at 03:03 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)