Thread: Engine swap?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Engine swap?

Has anyone swapped a 2016 Chevy Spark engine with a 2017 mirage ES? Have one lying around and wondering if it’s even possible. Thanks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Anything is possible with enough money and time, the question is about the value of the conversion?

To gain a few hundred cc's and 40-50hp over the Mirage I would super/turbocharge the existing engine in a second. There would be so many variables in a swap it would be insane. Even if nothing but pure H2O exited the tail pipe I'm sure the EPA/DOT regulations would have dozens of areas and exclusions prohibiting such engine swaps. Imagine figuring out how to successfully mate a foreign ECU into an equally foreign chassis/drivetrain only to have some freak at the DOT with a clipboard denying your car roadworthiness because a 29 cent spring clamp on the air filter cover is not approved.

Turbo/supercharge a Mirage engine with 6 bolt mains, forged con rods/pistons, 4 ring pistons, custom stainless o ring block/head seals, intake all cleaned up and smooth, ECU modified to have a variety of profiles that can be invoked, (like the mode in a Hellcat that invokes all 808 hp with a special key, is that not super cool?) The Mirage engine, with mods, is a 500hp mill waiting to happen. A guy named "ghost rider" out of Sweden had a Hayabusa with a turbo and 500 hp. Ganted, his 'Busa started with 150hp and high performance parts but the same style of parts in a Mirage engine gets you to 500 hp.

He does miles long wheelies going over 240 mph.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valpofire View Post
    Has anyone swapped a 2016 Chevy Spark engine with a 2017 mirage ES? Have one lying around and wondering if it’s even possible. Thanks
    Just put a LS in it. That's what it seems everyone does with classic cars & trucks that were made with 6 cyl engines & 3 speed on the tree transmissions. There are now more SS Camaros out there then Chev ever made... All cars in the '60's were big block muscle cars I guess??? Sorry, just my rant for the day...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valpofire View Post
    I'd wager the answer is a simple "no".

That also means you could be the first!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-06-2023)