Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVT Replacement

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT Replacement

Hi all. I’m pretty new to this forum. I have a question and I can’t seem to find it using the search tool.
    Essentially, I have early 2014 Mirage and the CVT has failed. I’ve been trying to have it fixed or replacement but garages are asking a ridiculous amount of money to do the work. I have been to the dealership and they will not cover the replacement under warranty (because when the transmission was serviced, the paper work did not state that OEM J4 fluid was used, therefore my claim was denied).
    I have found a CVT for a reasonable price, but it’s a new model (2019 I believe). I do know the part numbers are different, but also understand it is pretty much a direct replacement with a few caveats.
    What extra parts do I need to purchase in order for the CVT in the 2014 model?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Fummins put a newer CVT into a 2015 Mirage I believe. Hopefully he'll chime in on this. How many miles did it have before failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom2319 View Post
    Hi all. I’m pretty new to this forum. I have a question and I can’t seem to find it using the search tool.
    Essentially, I have early 2014 Mirage and the CVT has failed. I’ve been trying to have it fixed or replacement but garages are asking a ridiculous amount of money to do the work. I have been to the dealership and they will not cover the replacement under warranty (because when the transmission was serviced, the paper work did not state that OEM J4 fluid was used, therefore my claim was denied).
    I have found a CVT for a reasonable price, but it’s a new model (2019 I believe). I do know the part numbers are different, but also understand it is pretty much a direct replacement with a few caveats.
    What extra parts do I need to purchase in order for the CVT in the 2014 model?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
    It'll bolt right in. You shouldn't need to buy anything else. If you like, you could replace the filters, pan gasket(just in case it's damaged while removing the oil pan and maybe the o-ring for the cartridge filter(they tear easily). Or just leave it all along for now and deal with that stuff down the road.
    I installed a 2017 cvt(and engine) in my early 2014 with the oddball part number. Everything worked great right out of the box. Just make sure the fluid level is correct. To do it by the book is a pita without a scan tool to monitor fluid temps.

You don't need to reprogram anything, just bolt in and drive it. There are no computers or modules in these transmissions, just solenoids and sensors. The transmission module is inside the car.

I can't see the warranty being denied because oem fluid wasn't used. But if it was fluid that didn't meet the J4 spec then that's a legit reason. Especially if it was red.

Theres a Mirage here with a leaking case(damaged in an accident and not properly repaired), that I'll have to replace one of these years. I'll try to do a bit of a how-to if I can. They're no different than a regular automatic as far as removal and replacement go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    All fluids added were J4 approved. The dealership told me I had to prove that it was Mitsubishi fluid, which I don’t know if that is what the service centre used when I had it serviced at 80 000 km. It ran fine until now (156 000km).

Wow, that sadly sounds like one of the stealers I've dealt with. I'd try another dealer if possible, maybe try the manager. Or maybe try to contact mitsubishi canada yourself. I could be wrong but I have a hard time believing that everyone needs to buy fluids from a dealer to keep their warranty valid.

The one warranty claim I took to the dealer had just over 100k kms, they wanted me to provide proof of fluid flushes every 50k kms. I assume by flushes they meant fluid replacement because smrt.

What is going wrong with your transmission? The most common failure that I've seen is a thrust washer pile-up. The symptoms are lurching forward and stalling when stopped and in drive, black fluid, metal chunks, filings and slivers in the oil pan, and usually a few trouble codes that I can't remember off hand.

I was just at an independent tire shop and their posted labor rate was $149/hr, min 1/2 hr charge. I don't know what book time is to replace a Mirage transmission, I'd guess high at 6hrs? @$149/hr would be $900, plus tax, shop supplies, etc...Pricey. Where abouts in Canada are you?
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-09-2023 at 05:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom2319 View Post
    All fluids added were J4 approved. The dealership told me I had to prove that it was Mitsubishi fluid, which I don’t know if that is what the service centre used when I had it serviced at 80 000 km. It ran fine until now (156 000km).
    It's been awhile so it might not be Consumer and Corporate Affairs Canada but look around at the consumer protection for Canada and report the dealer. It's illegal to deny warranty if a manufacturer OEM product is replaced by an equivalent 3rd party product. If they could deny this easily then every car with any type of engine issue would be denied if it had a Fram/Autolite/Delco whatever filter on it.

I'm fairly certain it was the dealer that made the denial and not Mits Corporate. Since you were so close to warranty expiry on the drivetrain someone decided just to screw you over.

Also, what dealer was this? you need to name them to warn others who might be getting denied warranty work.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-10-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    97k miles. That might be the lowest amount of recorded miles on here before a CVT failure. That's sucks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-10-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Too bad no warranty.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi all. Finally got the new transmission installed. Labour+OEM fluid+taxes came to 1100.
    The dealership that denied the claim is Redline Mitsubishi in London Ontario Canada.

Once the mechanic opened up the casing, it turned out I needed a total rebuilt, so I sourced one myself and had them install it.

Does anyone know who to contact or call to reach Mitsubishi Corporate?

Mitsubishi motors: 1-888-576-4878

Maybe look into OMVIC https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/Consu...omplaints.aspx