Thread: Finally scored a set of LRR Potenza RE92 tires!

Finally scored a set of LRR Potenza RE92 tires!

I've been on the lookout for a cheap set of RE92's for the Mirage for a few years now.

My patience paid off this week!

Name:  20230307_134749.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  20230307_134820.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  20230307_135047.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  94.6 KB

$220 for this set of practically new tires on Mirage steelies.

I picked these up from a local used car dealer that took a Mirage on trade with the winter wheels/tires on it. They sold the car, and THEN the previous owner brought in the summer wheels/tires. So the dealer posted them cheap on FB marketplace and I nabbed 'em.

RE92 = O.G. Honda Insight OEM tire ...

Name:  tail-wrapped-collage.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  54.0 KB

These are the OEM tire for the first gen Honda Insight -- in the same size as the Mirage.

Honda let its engineers go crazy, squeezing maximum efficiency out of that machine, and the RE92 was the best 14" tire for low rolling resistance at the time.

I had one of these amazing cars for a couple of years (that's mine in the pics, in case it's not obvious). With aero mods & a few electrical mods, I was able to regularly get 100+ MPG out of it. And that was with hybrid assist disabled. (It had a worn out hybrid battery.)

LRR tires + super slick aerodynamics meant this slippery fish would coast forever!

Increased electric car range ...

Name:  23-gt-wheels-re92-tires.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  48.4 KB

I stuck a used set of RE92's on my $1000 DIY electric car too, and they made a noticeable improvement in range.

I even did a coastdown comparison test with a bunch of different tires I had "in stock" on my fleet. The RE92's came out on top:

Name:  8-results-chart.gif
Views: 358
Size:  17.3 KB

Thread: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...e92-19126.html

So... what rolls better, Enasaves or
    RE92s?

The Enasave could benefit from being a much newer tire design. But does it have less rolling resistance?

Now that I have a set of each tire on rims, I'll do a comparison test this summer and we'll find out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Basic (03-10-2023),Fummins (03-10-2023),Top_Fuel (03-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wth? In your smallish town you manage to find 92's like new on rims for peanuts? Bah, humbug. J/k. good on you. test these things so we can know. I'm in the market for new tires.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Yeah - I was surprised as anybody that this deal turned up close to home.

I'm looking forward to the comparison.

I'm also eager to slap these on the car ASAP! The winter tires have terrible rolling resistance. We're probably safe from any more significant snow at this point, but if I stick 'em on today, that'll probably curse us with a massive March blizzard.

I need a pit crew.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a good deal for tires and wheels!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Nice set!
    In these parts A.) rolling resistance and B.) braking quality on moist roads are posted on mandatory EU tyre labels. Sometimes tyres carry a TWI number, but thats not mandatory here.

The difference between one roll resistance group and the next is enormous, roughly 10% difference in fuel consumption!
    That adds up to more than the price of the tyre. For folks in the States, it may be an idea to compare tyres by looking at EU labels, of course thats only possible if a certain tyre does have a EU label. It might save from making expensive mistakes.

On the other hand, if you drive in pothole ridden areas with LRR tyres, the carcase may get damaged easier.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "My patience paid off this week! "
    Alton Brown from "Good Eats" TV program says "Your patience will be rewarded"

NICE Time to setup the tire pressure sensors.
    Good luck with them and keep us posted on how the work out.