Thread: Tire pressure and TPMS for non-OEM wheels [2014]

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tire pressure and TPMS for non-OEM wheels [2014]

Hi,

Thanks to help from this forum, I replaced my stock wheels with 15" MINI wheels (5.5x15 part number 36-11-1-512-458). I mounted 15" tires (Continental TrueContact Tour 175/65 R 15) on my 2014 Mirage ES. They feel great, have plenty of fender clearance and are less noisy than stock.

I have two questions:
    1) How do I determine the correct tire pressure for front and back?
    2) If the recommend pressure differs from Mitsubishi's, can the pressure monitoring system be programmed with the new pressures?

Thanks,
    John

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  psi Screenshot 2023-03-13 111443.png
Views: 461
Size:  30.7 KB

I have not seen the TPMS on the stock wheels, but if they can be moved, that's what I would do.

Some other TMPS work without changes but they have to be the same type/radio frequency.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I assume those mini specs are based on the weight of a mini. Do you think it's the same for a Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    The TPMS warning light in a Mirage will illuminate when any tire is below approximately 27 PSI. No matter what pressure you decide to put in your new tires, just remember that if you see the warning light come on, one or more of your tires has dropped to (roughly) 27 PSI or less.

Don't worry about trying to re-program the system for different pressures. The TPMS system will still work fine with your new wheels/tires.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-13-2023 at 06:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

jrc92 (03-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrc92 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks to help from this forum, I replaced my stock wheels with 15" MINI wheels (5.5x15 part number 36-11-1-512-458). I mounted 15" tires (Continental TrueContact Tour 175/65 R 15) on my 2014 Mirage ES. They feel great, have plenty of fender clearance and are less noisy than stock.

I have two questions:
    1) How do I determine the correct tire pressure for front and back?
    2) If the recommend pressure differs from Mitsubishi's, can the pressure monitoring system be programmed with the new pressures?

Thanks,
    John
    Welcome to the forum John!

I don't think the sensors on a Mirage are very sophisticated. They are not going to sense what type of tire they are stuck in.

Most vehicles recommended 32-35 psi, & my Mirage says 35 psi on the sticker (driver's door frame). I personally don't follow the recommendations, because I like my tires being a bit more full. I don't like it when tires have a squat/flat look.

I have 4 different pairs of tires for my Mirage. Maximum psi for these tires vary (44, 47, & 51). I tend to run my 44 psi tires around 40 psi, 47 psi around 44 psi, and 51 psi tires around 47 psi. I could run 35 psi in all of them, but I choose to not do that.

I like having my tires above the factory recommended 35 psi, while remaining under the tire's recommended maximum pressure. I don't care if the pair are on the front or back. I just keep them about 3-4 psi under their maximum psi rating.

If someone doesn't like how the car handles or rides with higher psi, they surely don't have to follow my advice.

I looked up your tires, & they are 51 psi max tires. You're running a larger diameter (24") tire, & you may need to experiment with them yourself. I would try 45 psi in them, but you may be happier sticking closer to the factory recommended 35 psi. As long as you stay under the maximum tire psi rating, the tires themselves will be fine.

The only way the TPMS is going to come into play is if your tires drop below a certain psi, and I am not even aware of what that level is (28 psi maybe?). TPMS is just an early reminder that your tire pressure is low. If you have a tire blow out on the road, you will know it long before the dash sensor appears.

I wouldn't worry about the sensors in your new tires, & just experiment with what suits you best (within a 35-51 psi range).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

jrc92 (03-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Welcome to the forum John!
    I have 4 different pairs of tires for my Mirage.
    I thought I was extra for having 3 sets of wheels/tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I thought I was extra for having 3 sets of wheels/tires.
    I basically have a summer set & winter set, but they don't all match. I added a pair of snow tires up front the first year. I lost a factory tire to a sidewall issue within the first year, too. I replaced it with a pair of tires & used up the other Dunlop pair.

My pairs (not sets) are -

Dunlop Enasaves - worn out/ready to be replaced
    Nokian Nordman 7 - doing their 6th winter season
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 - summer duty
    Kumho Solus TA31 - summer duty (winter duty on the rear this winter)

I have some Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on backorder that I bought on sale from Tire Rack ($68.07/tire). They will replace the worn out Dunlop tires next fall, and I will test them up front next winter. My Nokian Nordman 7 tires have been doing quite well, and I will use them in the rear for the next couple winters. I try to keep newer threads up front during the winter months, and having extra tires allows me to that. All of my tires are 165/65r14, too.