Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yikes

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Yikes

I hit a particularly nasty curb this weekend, service light came on. Code p0137, Oxygen sensor. Didn't trust myself with this one so I took it to the mechanic... I've been told the shock must've cracked the ceramic and Ill need a new one. OEM $300+ USD, plus mechanics fees, I am looking at ~$700 USD. Ouch.

The curb in question:
    Name:  photo1678628799.jpeg
Views: 319
Size:  44.1 KB
    Yes I hit the concrete, the rebar, then the concrete again

I'm convinced I was jinxed, mentioned I had just paid it off and my boss told me "That's when the real bad stuff starts breaking" >:[

This is a reminder to all, don't drive on autopilot!

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ouch! Any other damage?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    That sucks man. I totaled my Mirage 2 years ago. I miss that green machine.

Wow, I've seen these things crash into $hit so hard they rip the front wheel right off and don't break o2 sensors lol. $800/hr for labor seems high to me, but you gotta spend money to make money right?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I'm certain you can replace the O2 sensor yourself. For a whole lot less moe-knee too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I'd take my chances and do it myself too. Even if all you own is a crescent wrench...

You won't believe the amazing work(extreme sarcasm) that I just uncovered under the dash of a 2018 Mirage that I'm 99% positive that was performed by a dealership.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote was something like 350 for the part, 75 for diagnostics, 275 for labor. I would honestly give it a shot myself, but I don't like the idea of going under the middle of the car with just jacks and/or ramps, and I cant find any rent-a-bays near me. I'm just thankful that nothing else broke.

That's not so bad then. Only $550/hr for labor. I assume replacing the upstream O2 sensor can't possibly take more than 30 mins.
    Walk up to car, open hood. Remove air cleaner(3 10mm bolts,1 hose clamp,unplug maf,move pcv and trans vent out of the way),Then remove O2 sensor. At least that's the way I picture it in my head? Maybe there's more to it that I'm forgetting. On the 14-15's the front o2 is up top and easy to do. No climbing under car and dying is necessary.

I've never looked into it but is there any way you could skip the running into a curb part and see if it's covered under the emissions warranty or has that ship sailed?

Either way that seems high for labor but I don't pay attention to labor rates and forgot about that inflation thing. Bring it here, I'll do it for $50.

Or clear code and hope it stays out?

Edit: Ignore all that...I think I got it wrong. That code is for the downstream sensor...Whoops. Maybe don't ignore the labor cost though. It's even easier to remove the lower sensor. Just unbolt it. Crawling under the car is necessary for the downstream sensor. Maybe the inflated price is for danger pay?
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-14-2023 at 07:22 PM.
    Mirage videos:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think he said his Diagnostic fee is one hours hourly rate, that would be 150 I believe he said. Letting him go forward he waives half the diagnostic fee, so 75ish. So I'm guessing he quoted for 1.50 - 2 hours, which I agree is probably overkill. I'll post the receipt at the end of it just for those curious.

I agree I could probably DIY it, and I would have. Get a used part from a donor car (there are a lot of mirages in this part of Houston I'm SURE there has to be parts) for a lot cheaper, borrow some real lifts. Honestly, the real reason I don't feel like doing the DIY is because I just had a big life change and I need the car ready asap.

Gotcha, the easiest fix is electrical tape. Put a little piece right over top of the cel and it's fixed.

You don't need that rear sensor anyways, it's only there to tell you if your catalytic converter is working properly. Car should still run fine without it. Spend that money on beer instead. Then send me the beer.

Mirage videos:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (03-14-2023),mohammad (03-15-2023)