Thread: A horrible key repair

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

A horrible key repair

I managed to bust one entire side off the the triangle style key leaving it vulnerable to snapping off the other side and losing the key. It's where the ring goes through and those with these type keys likely know what I mean.

To my surprise the putty epoxy I used, a Permatex plastic based product, did not stick, AT ALL, to the existing key housing. It just flopped off. What did work was cheap crazy glue to bond the epoxy repair to the key housing. It feels very strong and I hope it lasts. When the weather is better I plan to sand some of the excess epoxy off to give the gey a more rounded appearance.

My next task is to repair another triangle key I discovered that's broken in the same way, but this time I'm just going to pack the epoxy putty into the area previously occupied by the broken plastic, let it set, use crazy glue to anchor the new segment to the key housing then drill a hole through the epoxy plug to allow the key ring to pass thru.

For now here's a couple pics of the mess I made.Name:  IMG_20230312_140156.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  82.6 KBName:  IMG_20230312_140109.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  83.8 KB

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    This works too if you're dealer isn't too far away.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BD5CKN...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I've had to use one of those kits Dirk mentioned to repair a broken Eclipse key. It worked pretty good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-14-2023)