Thread: Mudflaps and aerodynamics

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Mudflaps and aerodynamics

Okay, seeing how mudflaps don't come standard on either the Mirage/Space Star or the Attrage/G4, aftermarket mudflaps have seemingly become all the rage, especially in our local enthusiast forums.

Although mudflaps would certainly help in keeping the area around the tires clean, my question is: will installing these affect the car's aerodynamics, and ultimately, fuel efficiency? Thanks.

Short answer: yes, and yes.

Longer answer: the difference would be fairly small, and would also depend on how large the flaps are, and how much they stick out to the sides.

I would say you probably wouldn't be able to "see" the negative impact of small mud flaps in your tank-by-tank fuel economy monitoring.

It will also be less of an issue for drivers who spend most of their time at slower speeds (city commuting).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    On my car, the area behind the front tire has been sandblasted on gravel roads, and that is where I first started to see rust. On any new car, I think mud flaps would help prevent that. I have also considered, though, getting the lower rockers covered with something like Line-X. This would add some mass (not too much, I suspect), but maintain the aerodynamics. Of course, the mud flaps also prevent the car looking dirty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I want to put on the evo style ralliart branded ones.
    But they cost around 140 from England

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Why not just get OEM or aftermarket side skirts? They will take all the abuse and can be removed and repaired once in a while.
    No issues with aerodynamics.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    3M has a plastic film that can be applied to the rocker panel . Many body shops or possibly detailing shops could do it . Would be aerodynamic and likely less expensive than side skirts . Go here , http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4484266&rt=rud . I think this is the product I'm describing . Looks to be a picture of a 2nd generation Prius rocker panel .
    Last edited by cinder; 04-15-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Now there's a clear spray . Go here , http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender . Anyone want to enlist for this and give us the results ?
    Last edited by cinder; 04-15-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    minimal effect on aerodynamics and FC....They do reduce the aerodynamics of the car and cause a little bit of air resistance.....well if they are close enough to the wheels... they won't produce any drag at all...... Its better to have them installed..saves your cars running board from rust and corrosion.. IMHO

"Our knowledge is a receding Mirage in an expanding desert of Ignorance!"