Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Early fuel economy adventures

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    ...seeing 2200 RPM @60 mph would be like the biggest hit of smack you could do without dying.
    If it makes you feel better, I think that would be a no good condition. The lil' peanut engine doesn't make enough torque at 2,200 rpm to overcome wind drag, while ascending a 0.0001% slope. I think you'd find yourself annoyed having to downshift too much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Just buy a cvt car and only drive on flat ground with a tail wind.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The 3.55 is like the Holy Grail to me. I hate to tear down a 100% reliable tranny to swap a single gear but that RPM reduction (along with the tallest thinnest tires that will fit) and seeing 2200 RPM @60 mph would be like the biggest hit of smack you could do without dying.
    I wish the Mirage came with the taller European 5th gear, but it's really not bad as is. I just filled up the other day, and my previous tank was 43.7 mpg. Given that I still have snow tires on front & we are probably still using winter blend gas, I am more than content with that. I'm thinking of pulling my snow tires off tomorrow, and that usually brings on another snow storm or two. Taking the snow tires off won't be that big of a risk, because I will keep the snow tires on my Forester for a few more weeks.

Even though the Mirages with a CVT seem to run at a lower rpm at higher highway speeds, I haven't seen anyone share economy numbers that would make me jealous (develop CVT envy).

Overall, the Mirage is a pretty nice little car. Given the price of both cars & gas these past couple years, I appreciate my little Mirage more than ever.