Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early fuel economy adventures

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I think they could make 4th just one to one, with no need for an actual gear. Then make the transmission a 6 speed. 6th being taller than the existing 5th gear. Either that or run the 3.55 in the N.A. Mirages. Swapping us the 3.55 would be quicker / easier / less expensive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I really couldn't be bothered lately to try for great fuel economy, I'm just happy to get over 30mpg shifting at 4k and driving like F&F.
    Fixed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm assuming that at about 70 mph and above, the MIVEC has surpassed its activation point and therefore the valves are lifting more. So if you blow more air into the cylinders, it's got to blow more gas in to match that. The result? Better power / lower mpg. It's a trade off. I suppose that's the majority of the reason this car takes a fairly big dip in mpg after ~ 65 mph (that and the associated wind drag).
    I wanted to come back in here and rectify the information above, for the 2 people that might have read it. It is not accurate. I was assuming the MIVEC was an ON or OFF kind of thing. But no, it is continually variable. So there's no specific rpm where the mpg will take a dip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that I've been work commuting, some more thoughts:

The Mirage does not look to be babied as a means to save fuel! I was trying so hard this week to roll to stops, not accelerate too much, etc. etc.

Today I was in more of a rush to get to work, so I wasn't trying to baby it. Instead of 36-38mpg I was hitting close to 40! I think its because the sweet zone for The Tiger is 45-60 mph. When I'm rushing, the 45 mph speed limit roads are being traveled on at about 50mph, instead of when I'm babying the car, and its more like 40-45.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with your sweet spot. It *seems* as if I get the best mpg in the 55 mph - 60 mph zone. I run 50 mph a lot on particular roads around me ... but it doesn't seem to go up as quickly as it does at 55 - 60. It's probably just my feeling, and not for real.

I just got home from a 310 mile trip (each way), from south Atlanta to southeast Mississippi to visit cousins. There was a headwind against me as I was heading west. Not much of any wind coming home yesterday. I decided before I left that I would run all roads at 5 over the speed limit. About half this trip was on the interstate and I was doing 75 mph gps confirmed (~76.5 mph speedo). Then the other half was at 70 mph gps, on 4 lane rural highways. I got 39.8 mpg on the way west. I haven't refilled from coming home yet (the whole fuel gauge is blinking as I went to lunch today), but I suspect it was less than 41 mpg.
    Another correction: My mpg on the way home was 39.7 mpg (very consistent). It took 7.848 gallons or so. However, I did top it off to 8 gallons. The average will work itself out no matter if I top off or not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just adventured over to the gas station in my GMC Sierra. I've been driving it like Ms. Daisy was in there in order to really conserve fuel. 16.5 mpg.

Professional Grade my ass. The only thing it's professional at is guzzling gas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Work commute frustration, but it’s not the car’s fault: I work on a college campus, so I’ve noticed that 2/3 of the commute is like 40mpg, until the stop and start driving with all the walking students starts, and especially when I go into the parking garage and drive to a few decks. That last bit tends to pull me down to 36.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just adventured over to the gas station in my GMC Sierra. I've been driving it like Ms. Daisy was in there in order to really conserve fuel. 16.5 mpg.

Professional Grade my ass. The only thing it's professional at is guzzling gas.
    What engine does the Sierra have?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think they could make 4th just one to one, with no need for an actual gear. Then make the transmission a 6 speed. 6th being taller than the existing 5th gear. Either that or run the 3.55 in the N.A. Mirages. Swapping us the 3.55 would be quicker / easier / less expensive.
    The 3.55 is like the Holy Grail to me. I hate to tear down a 100% reliable tranny to swap a single gear but that RPM reduction (along with the tallest thinnest tires that will fit) and seeing 2200 RPM @60 mph would be like the biggest hit of smack you could do without dying.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    What engine does the Sierra have?
    4.8L V8, 3.73 rear gear. Standard cab, short bed, 2WD. Smallest simplest full size truck you can own. And I have an appreciation for that. But dayim it's thirsty. If I stay near the speed limit on the interstate and run a full tank, it will yield about 22 mpg though.