Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May be letting her go soon...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hats off to one handed work while aiming & recording with a camera phone. Well done Fummy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Foama posted this a while ago. It'll give you an idea of the tone from the belt. He has an audio file on the first post... Hope this helps !!! https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Tension-Howto
    Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hats off to one handed work while aiming & recording with a camera phone. Well done Fummy
    Didn't even realize that

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Didn't even realize that
    Try it, you'll see how disorienting it can be to not only describe a process but to record it & keep the relevant parts in the frame of view. Unless you've got mad skillz.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Unfortunately, it would be best to let them tackle it themselves...

You're putting yourself in, "a situation." One where no good deed goes unpunished.
    I don't know if Tx requires permits/licenses/etc but I'd have my lawyer draw up a personal lease contract. It should insulate you from liability if things go sideways.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fortunately, I work with lawyers so I was able to ask someone about this.

Apparently, here in TX, even a 'verbal' contract will hold up in court. Since I'd rather be safe than sorry, I started drafting the "agreement." I was about halfway done when I went ahead and asked my friend if she'll accept it as a gift instead of loaning. I mentioned it would make "things easier" for everyone. She agreed.

We had our first MT driving lessons yesterday. After 2hrs she can now go from stop to 1st mostly without stalling the car. I'm hoping to finish the start/stop lessons and move on to 2nd gear on Wednesday. Maybe hand her the keys next Sunday.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Fortunately, I work with lawyers so I was able to ask someone about this.

Apparently, here in TX, even a 'verbal' contract will hold up in court. Since I'd rather be safe than sorry, I started drafting the "agreement." I was about halfway done when I went ahead and asked my friend if she'll accept it as a gift instead of loaning. I mentioned it would make "things easier" for everyone. She agreed.

We had our first MT driving lessons yesterday. After 2hrs she can now go from stop to 1st mostly without stalling the car. I'm hoping to finish the start/stop lessons and move on to 2nd gear on Wednesday. Maybe hand her the keys next Sunday.
    You're a helluva guy Ares. But one little panic and working a clutch goes out the window. However, we're talking about a 74 lb-ft / <2,000 lb vehicle. Versus something more substantial.

When I drive my truck (an example of something more substantial), I worry about someone pulling out in front of me and me T-boning them. So I drive it very conservative. With my truck, if I'm at a stop, and holding the brake in 1st gear, I don't know if the brakes would stall the engine. One time, I had it in 2nd gear (the normal driving gear to start in), and was sitting still in a parking spot. I leaned over to get something off the passenger floor and my foot slipped off the clutch, my right foot was still on the brake. The truck went nuts. It must have looked like a bronco bucking. It barked the rear tires about 3 times before I could get my foot back on the clutch ... the engine never stalled. It lurched forward 3 times and almost bumped the car parked in front of me. And that was 2nd gear! The engine made some grunting / roaring noise in an effort to NOT stall. It has so much friggin torque.

Anyway, the point is, at least you're not giving your friend something like that. My sons want my truck. I try to explain to them about things like that. But until you experience it, you don't know how dangerous some things can be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    She's always lived in poverty. Finally moved out at 20 and found that life is better outside where she can be free of what was weighing her down. She started driving at 20 with the help of other friends so it's easier to teach her since she has already driven (automatics) before.

She's also a dancer so mind & body coordination, taking in information via sound/touch, and doing multiple things at the same time help with the teaching. I would argue that my (lack of) teaching experience is slowing her down.

As far as the fear of running someone (or something) over, the first thing I told her was that the brake is more powerful than the engine. In case of an emergency (or panic), push on the brake and the car will die. She does not have much of a choice; if she wants a better life, she needs a car. Here in TX, you need a car to go to work and most everywhere else.

The mirage was the first vehicle I paid off; something that I actually own. I'm choosing to give it away to someone in need. Sharing was/is never an issue with me. Somehow, things come back to me - more often than not, double what I had given.

I would do anything for a friend. Luckily, I don't have many.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    She's always lived in poverty. Finally moved out at 20 and found that life is better outside where she can be free of what was weighing her down. She started driving at 20 with the help of other friends so it's easier to teach her since she has already driven (automatics) before.

She's also a dancer so mind & body coordination, taking in information via sound/touch, and doing multiple things at the same time help with the teaching. I would argue that my (lack of) teaching experience is slowing her down.

As far as the fear of running someone (or something) over, the first thing I told her was that the brake is more powerful than the engine. In case of an emergency (or panic), push on the brake and the car will die. She does not have much of a choice; if she wants a better life, she needs a car. Here in TX, you need a car to go to work and most everywhere else.

The mirage was the first vehicle I paid off; something that I actually own. I'm choosing to give it away to someone in need. Sharing was/is never an issue with me. Somehow, things come back to me - more often than not, double what I had given.

I would do anything for a friend. Luckily, I don't have many.

I want to be your friend!

What you are doing is quite nice!

"Pay it forward" - applies here!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Ares (03-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,026 Posts
    She's also a dancer...
    I want to be HER friend...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LoL...