Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 mirage engine and transmission swap for 19

Country
    United States
    Thanks

15 mirage engine and transmission swap for 19

I have a 2015 Mirage that I use for courier with 269k miles and still gets 100 miles minimum daily. This weekend I picked up a 2019 with 23k miles that was in a front end collision with a concrete barrier and will not run due to the amount of damage done. The trans on my 2015 is getting worse day by day with surging and slipping, however the engine still runs smooth with no oil leaks and has never even been cracked open for anything. My question would be if the engine is proven to be ok and not damaged in the 2019 should I swap it along with the trans or should I keep the engine I have, also will there be any issue swapping any of this, differences etc. Any feedback is appreciated thanks much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    What do you think about getting both engine & transmission and storing the engine for when you need it? The engine is pretty small you could stuff it in your closet or something.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What do you think about getting both engine & transmission and storing the engine for when you need it? The engine is pretty small you could stuff it in your closet or something.
    True �� I’m going to keep the engine either way.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddmrcsen22 View Post
    I have a 2015 Mirage that I use for courier with 269k miles and still gets 100 miles minimum daily. This weekend I picked up a 2019 with 23k miles that was in a front end collision with a concrete barrier and will not run due to the amount of damage done. The trans on my 2015 is getting worse day by day with surging and slipping, however the engine still runs smooth with no oil leaks and has never even been cracked open for anything. My question would be if the engine is proven to be ok and not damaged in the 2019 should I swap it along with the trans or should I keep the engine I have, also will there be any issue swapping any of this, differences etc. Any feedback is appreciated thanks much.
    Don't forget to grab all the other goodies out of it you can too. Alternator, radiator, tubing, serpentine belt, HVAC components, you're sitting on a parts goldmine my friend!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Don't forget to grab all the other goodies out of it you can too. Alternator, radiator, tubing, serpentine belt, HVAC components, you're sitting on a parts goldmine my friend!
    I bought the whole car so no worries there lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ddmrcsen22 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-21-2023)

Everything will bolt up. Did you take a good luck at the back of the transmission and make sure the case isn't cracked the rearmost edge? I had one that pretzelled the dogbone mount and the transmission was pushed back into the rack and pinion cracking the case.
    Both engine and transmission will bolt up and work with the 2015.

If you really want to wring every last mile out of your current drivetrain I'd pull the oil pan off the transmission and have a look. If there's nothing to scary looking stuck to the magnets then I'd consider swapping out the valve body with the one from your donor car. It's a pretty easy job and typically the oil pan gasket is re-usable.
    The transmission in my 2014 was surging fairly often and was giving the previous owner some other problems before I bought it. I planned to replace it one day and finally did when the engine cratered at 280k km a few years ago. After tearing the old transmission apart I'm pretty confident that I could have just replaced the valve body and kept that old cvt going a while. I did consider trying that route but didn't want the iffy transmission to contaminate a good valve body if it did decide to self-destruct.

As for whether to replace your engine or not, that's your call. There's a 4 Mirages in the fleet out here with over 300k that are still running the original engines. 2 of them still have the original cvt.

Here's how you remove the valve body. Skip to 4:00
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

precisionxt (03-21-2023),Top_Fuel (03-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    If I were going to swap transmissions, I'd let the associated low mile (comparably) engine tag along with it. That's a lot of work to swap stuff. Might as well do them both. Even though your current engine seems to be running fine, I bet the new combo would feel like you bolted in a racecar engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddmrcsen22 View Post
    I bought the whole car so no worries there lol
    You did say that, I skimmed right over that little detail. Duh.

Reading is hard.

Hope you got the donor cheap. There should be lots to salvage there. Still, it's always sad to see another one off the road.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Everything will bolt up. Did you take a good luck at the back of the transmission and make sure the case isn't cracked the rearmost edge? I had one that pretzelled the dogbone mount and the transmission was pushed back into the rack and pinion cracking the case.
    Both engine and transmission will bolt up and work with the 2015.

If you really want to wring every last mile out of your current drivetrain I'd pull the oil pan off the transmission and have a look. If there's nothing to scary looking stuck to the magnets then I'd consider swapping out the valve body with the one from your donor car. It's a pretty easy job and typically the oil pan gasket is re-usable.
    The transmission in my 2014 was surging fairly often and was giving the previous owner some other problems before I bought it. I planned to replace it one day and finally did when the engine cratered at 280k km a few years ago. After tearing the old transmission apart I'm pretty confident that I could have just replaced the valve body and kept that old cvt going a while. I did consider trying that route but didn't want the iffy transmission to contaminate a good valve body if it did decide to self-destruct.

As for whether to replace your engine or not, that's your call. There's a 4 Mirages in the fleet out here with over 300k that are still running the original engines. 2 of them still have the original cvt.

Here's how you remove the valve body. Skip to 4:00
    I have not had a very good look at the engine or trans yet besides checking fluids, it was hit from the passenger side front and it completely crushed the frame on that side, from the looks of it the trans should be fine but I will be checking it out on the weekend, will know for sure then. From your experience is the valve body typically what goes wrong? I have been having surging, slipping, bucking for around 80k but now its starting to get dangerous, most recently it has been accompanied by a screech like noise sounding very much like a belt. No blinking D yet but almost positive it going to start soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not a mechanic but one would assume just swapping the tranny would be less work - especially if your engine is fine. I'd definitely keep the parts car for later use, though.

FWIW, if it makes you feel better, I got my MT swapped out for a lower-milege one at 75k and cost some $1500, new clutch included. I know I was ripped off, but it was what it was. Since then, I've taken (better) care of the tranny and now at 125k with no issues (yet).

What repairs or maintenance have you done at that mileage? Are you the first owner?

Congrats on such a high-mileage! Nice to know the mirage does well up there.