Thread: 2014 Mirage Cruise Control and Drive Light

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2014 Mirage Cruise Control and Drive Light

I recently took a short trip to a neighbouring city (about 3.5 hrs away). I had been using cruise control while on the highway and the region I was driving through was particularly hilly.

Anyways, I had the cruise control on, and was going up a hill, when the cruise control suddenly turned off and the drive light started flashing. I pulled over at a rest stop and turned the car off to look through the manual. After a few minutes I turned the car back on and the drive light was no longer flashing. The car seemed to drive normally the rest of the way but I didn't use the cruise control after that.

The manual mentioned that the flashing drive light could be related to a transmission issue, but it hasn't flashed since then. I suspect that it turned off because of the hill I was driving up (but I haven't tested the cruise control since). Frankly, I'm a bit wary when it comes to cars so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    CVT or 5MT?

Could the transmission have overheated?

I've driven the mirage over 5hrs at speeds over 75mph, albeit not very hilly, and have no issues. 5MT.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    CVT. I was doing about 100-110 km/h.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaMirage2014 View Post
    ...had the cruise control on
    ...going up a hill
    ...doing about 100-110 km/h
    ...the cruise control suddenly turned off and the drive light started flashing
    What driving conditions produce the most heat in a CVT?

Nissan TSB NTB13-095c describes potential high-temperature CVT fluid situations as follows:

1. High RPM and/or high speed driving (4000+ RPMs, and/or 65 MPH or more for 1.0 – 1.5 hours)
    2. Driving in ambient temperatures of 96 degrees or higher
    3. Climbing steep or extended hills for 6 miles or more

Highway driving is what heats up CVT fluid because it represents an extended condition of continuous high engine torque operating the CVT drive belt. That’s why most Nissan/Subaru/etc. owners experience CVT “limp mode” on the highway. CVT “Limp mode” is when the car’s computer detects high CVT fluid temperatures and significantly reduces engine power until the CVT fluid has cooled to an acceptable level.

According to the service manual, the overheating fluid warning in a Mirage doesn’t come on until the CVT fluid temperature reaches 279F.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

The shift indicator light flashes quick when it's overheated and slow when there's a problem that throws a trouble code. It wouldn't hurt to change the fluid and check for stored codes, it'd probably have an overheat code stored in there somewhere if that was the case.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the fluid likely overheated. I'll have it checked anyways

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In my other vehicles with cruise control, when the cruise is unable to keep the speed due to grade, it just shuts off. I don't recall lights flashing, but those could be because of the tranny, as others have mentioned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    ...when the cruise is unable to keep the speed due to grade, it just shuts off.
    That is true with a Mirage. See this thread: Cruise Control Gives Up

But given the driving conditions and flashing "D" in this case, the CVT fluid was probably cooking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-23-2023),RiaMirage2014 (03-23-2023)