Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 purchase with high mileage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gardengurl71 View Post
    I have considered this but I want the SE trim, and when all is said and done, I'm probably looking at a $20k car, that will lose $4k in value when I drive it off the lot.
    Your initial depreciation likely won't be that high, but you will have a reliable vehicle with a 10 year warranty. Buying a high mileage vehicle is a gamble, especially when you don't know how and if it's been serviced, and what problems it might have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    Your initial depreciation likely won't be that high, but you will have a reliable vehicle with a 10 year warranty. Buying a high mileage vehicle is a gamble, especially when you don't know how and if it's been serviced, and what problems it might have.

yes, I do agree. I have owned several much older cars with over 100k miles and never had a serious issue with them. I know it's a gamble, and I'm not a gambler. I always do extensive research before purchasing a used vehicle. I had a financed Honda Accord and sold it to Carvana, and told myself I was done with buying brand new cars. The warranty is tempting tho..... only thing is, I don't live conveniently near a Mitsubishi dealer, closest is 1.5 hours away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    You have to drive to Florida to get this one.

Almost 100K fewer miles, clean CarFax, and a manual transmission...for $3,000 more than the car you are looking at.

Name:  offlease.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  55.5 KB

LINK TO CAR

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Almost 100K fewer miles, clean CarFax, and a manual transmission...for $3,000 more than the car you are looking at.

LINK TO CAR
    hey thanks for showing me this, yea, I'm in south Alabama and that's long a distance away from me. I don't want to drive a distance like that to then not be interested in purchasing....

The only thing I could suggest would be to bring a scan tool and check for any transmission or other trouble codes that may have been previously cleared by someone. Or even just pull the dipstick for the transmission before and after a test drive, just look at the color of the fluid. If it's pitch black like diesel engine oil then there's a good chance it hasn't been maintained very well so may need a transmission one day. If it's clear-to light brown then that's not so bad.
    The air cleaners often rattle loose and wear out where it bolts to the engine, give it a shake. It's probably wobbly. Not a huge deal but can cause annoying noises.
    It's a used car with high miles, if not driven into the ground it could last a while with no problems. But if it's at the top of your budget and you don't have an extra 2-3k laying around for an unexpected transmission replacement then I don't know if I'd consider it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The only thing I could suggest would be to bring a scan tool and check for any transmission or other trouble codes that may have been previously cleared by someone. Or even just pull the dipstick for the transmission before and after a test drive, just look at the color of the fluid. If it's pitch black like diesel engine oil then there's a good chance it hasn't been maintained very well so may need a transmission one day. If it's clear-to light brown then that's not so bad.
    The air cleaners often rattle loose and wear out where it bolts to the engine, give it a shake. It's probably wobbly. Not a huge deal but can cause annoying noises.
    It's a used car with high miles, if not driven into the ground it could last a while with no problems. But if it's at the top of your budget and you don't have an extra 2-3k laying around for an unexpected transmission replacement then I don't know if I'd consider it.

hey, thanks so much for your advisement I really appreciate it

Country
    United States
    Thanks

LINK TO CAR
    I like the '19 even better...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I like the '19 even better...
    I missed that one...damn...it also has a 5-speed. And manual AC controls. OK...for the money I'd go with the '19.

Name:  offlease19.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  45.6 KB

I'd throw away a day's worth of driving to score a lower-mileage car like this. I drove a 10 hour round-trip just to buy a Mirage that didn't have the front bumper drilled for a license plate. But I'm a little goofy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Basic (03-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I missed that one...damn...it also has a 5-speed. And manual AC controls. OK...for the money I'd go with the '19.

Name:  offlease19.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  45.6 KB

I'd throw away a day's worth of driving to score a lower-mileage car like this. I drove a 10 hour round-trip just to buy a Mirage that didn't have the front bumper drilled for a license plate. But I'm a little goofy.
    I get you haha, but I just don't want to do a distance like that to then be dissatisfied with it.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I totally get why you'd be interested in the SE trim. The push button and heated seats are great features. I'd be really hesitant to go that high in mileage though. Looking at Cars.com, I think you might find better deals that seem to fit your budget if you allow for 2018-2020 models- seeing plenty of cars in the SE trim with only 40-60k miles on them with clean 1 owner carfax reports.

I do note that the SE trim in those older years doesn't include heated seats- but heated seats and be done at a local pro auto detailer, usually for about 250 a seat at least here in Indiana. So you can actually add in some of the SE type features aftermarket and still end up ahead, so maybe give the ES or LE trims a look! Good luck on your search!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)