Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Ontario!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exclamation Greetings from Ontario!

I am from K/W and seeking information on the Mirage! After my wife’s Fusion has bit the dust we are both super intrigued by the Mirage. I have read the disparaging mean comments on reddit, and you know what I think? redditors are idiots. That is the conclusion I arrived at.

In fact, their constant negative and bashing comments had the opposite effect on me. It made me want this thing even more just because I want to love something reddit hates

I come seeking advice on purchasing, thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to frost For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    I am from K/W and seeking information on the Mirage! After my wifeÂ’s Fusion has bit the dust we are both super intrigued by the Mirage. I have read the disparaging mean comments on reddit, and you know what I think? redditors are idiots. That is the conclusion I arrived at.

In fact, their constant negative and bashing comments had the opposite effect on me. It made me want this thing even more just because I want to love something reddit hates

I come seeking advice on purchasing, thank you
    Some car critics hate the Mirage, but most Mirage owners like it. It's really that simple!

I look at a lot of owner reviews on cars.com, kbb.com, & other sources prior to my purchase in 2017. I also looked at what Europeans were saying about the Mitsubishi Space Star before buying my 2017 Mirage ES.

I remember this review in particular, because he took the Mirage on the Autobahn (see below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVi3hYruIqU

I've owned 3 vehicles in the past that had less horsepower than the Mirage. If someone never drove a vehicle under 100 hp before, it may be an adjustment. Mechanically, the Mirage hasn't changed since the 2017 update of the car.

It may not be a car that will "wow" you during a test drive, but it has a 3 cylinder charm that grows on you over time.

I paid $10,153.73 OTD for my brand new 2017 ES manual. Sadly, I didn't qualify for any of the three $500 rebates at the time. I have approximately 76,000+ miles on my Mirage. Outside of normal maintenance, I have replaced the wiper blades, tires, & front brake pads/rotors. That's not bad for a car that was selling for under $10,000 brand new.

I only share the price I paid, because people were bashing this car at the time in the States. They should have been pointing out the great value the Mirage is. Ironically, most of the cars (Yaris, Fit, Prius c, Scion models, Spark, Sonic, Mazda2, the list goes on & on) that they claimed were better are now gone. Yet, the Mirage is still standing in 2023!

I have found the Mirage to be affordable, reliable, and very economical to drive. I'm happy to have one in my driveway!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-26-2023),frost (03-26-2023),MetroMPG (03-26-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey Mark! Appreciate that, and is very much what I suspected. I am glad I did not stop investigating and researching even in the face of negative articles and commentary. A lot like what we read in the headlines each day, there is almost always more to the story

I will say I am very confused as to what I should be doing with a budget of $20k CAD or so as I need a replacement vehicle for my wife ASAP. The 2023 Mirage will be closer to $24 but would be totally brand new. I guess the big issue is veterans of the Mirage series now no longer consider the value as good because prices have literally doubled from when you guys bought them

Damn.

I need help!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Recent new 2023 Mirage buyer here who paid current MSRP.

The car’s current value is relative to where prices are at today. I had no idea that five years ago you could buy one of these at 10k, so that didn’t make me feel bad about my purchase and still doesn’t after I joined this forum and found out!

When I was car shopping I was expecting for my money to get something with a minimum of 40k miles up to 70k. I was shocked to see anything brand new in my budget, and I loved car’s vibe (I much prefer hatches to sedans which for me eliminates the versa and rio, Mirage’s price competitors, YMMV). There are certainly no 10k deals to be had for any car much less the mirage.

So for my perspective by going with the Mirage I avoided the potential used car problems, have the fun of something 100% new and tremendous manufacturer warranties- for the same money I was expecting to spend on a used crossover SUV or whatever. So for *me* it was a great value today, in today’s market.

Happy hunting!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohoGames For This Useful Post:

frost (03-26-2023),MetroMPG (03-26-2023)

I will say I am very confused as to what I should be doing with a budget of $20k CAD or so as I need a replacement vehicle for my wife ASAP. The 2023 Mirage will be closer to $24 but would be totally brand new. I guess the big issue is veterans of the Mirage series now no longer consider the value as good because prices have literally doubled from when you guys bought them
    Ottawa road trip?

"Almost brand new" 2015 CVT with under 9k kms for $12.5k asking. (I'm pretty sure I've seen the same ad at $10k a while ago.)

This one doesn't have A/C though, in case that's a deal-breaker.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-499184921264

From this thread.

Welcome to the forum & good luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ottawa road trip?

"Almost brand new" 2015 CVT with under 9k kms for $12.5k asking. (I'm pretty sure I've seen the same ad at $10k a while ago.)

This one doesn't have A/C though, in case that's a deal-breaker.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-499184921264

From this thread.

Welcome to the forum & good luck!
    I would drive across Canada, not just Ottawa! If you find any other awesome deals by chance please definitely let me know!

AC the deal breaker for sure, sadly. It’s the one summer luxury my wife absolutely can’t do without

Thank you for looking for me though, really appreciate it !

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would drive across Canada, not just Ottawa! If you find any other awesome deals by chance please definitely let me know!

AC the deal breaker for sure, sadly. It’s the one summer luxury my wife absolutely can’t do without

Thank you for looking for me though, really appreciate it !
    I have the non-ac model and im in toronto, if you start your trips from a parking spot with coverage overhead such as an underground lot and stay moving then its not bad at all.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Wally has a 2017 5spd with ac for sale in Niagra. Looks like he wants a fair dollar for it but maybe he'll give you a friends and family discount.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I have the non-ac model and im in toronto, if you start your trips from a parking spot with coverage overhead such as an underground lot and stay moving then its not bad at all.
    mohammad - Really good point. When I was in my early 20's, my car that I had until 28 years old done went and busted its A/C. The car had more than 150k on it at that time, and I drove it until it had about 298k on it (and then got crashed). I was working my first engineering job (for peanuts). I drove that car FOR YEARS with no A/C. And that was in Georgia and Tennessee. And it gets blazing hot down here. Even to this day, I use the A/C in all my cars (including my Lexus) very very little. I mostly just put the windows down, and enjoy the breeze and the sounds. When I'm hauling down the interstate though, and it is over about 80°F outside, and the sun is bright in the sky ... then I will use the A/C. I'll not use the A/C until about 90°F if it is cloudy. At 80°F and sunny, the inside of the car is a bit too much like a greenhouse. I'll also use the A/C just about every time the wife is in the car, because princess...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wally has a 2017 5spd with ac for sale in Niagra. Looks like he wants a fair dollar for it but maybe he'll give you a friends and family discount.
    Or for slightly more you can get a fancy 2022 model with 29k for $16000. Says it’s slightly damaged but they forgot to show any damage. https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...6751319657497/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)