Thread: WTB literally anything you can suggest to me for $20k CAD or ideally less

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exclamation WTB literally anything you can suggest to me for $20k CAD or ideally less

Hi there, me and my wife are both working low paying jobs and her vehicle bit the dust today. It could not be any worse, really, for us, and I am concerned that even with over exerting our meager life’s savings pulling $20k out of it, I will end up with an absolute piece of crap that is going to die yet again

Is there any kind soul out there that maybe has been looking at AutoTrader lately or even just has general Canadian pricing and vehicle knowledge that can tell me what to look for

Really, sincerely Appreciate any help. I chose this forum to post on because I’m both looking at the Mirage, but also notice you guys are generally helpful even for people not using a Mirage

Thanks again

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Zero — I don’t even change my own oil 😳

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    Hi there, me and my wife are both working low paying jobs and her vehicle bit the dust today. It could not be any worse, really, for us, and I am concerned that even with over exerting our meager lifeÂ’s savings pulling $20k out of it, I will end up with an absolute piece of crap that is going to die yet again

Is there any kind soul out there that maybe has been looking at AutoTrader lately or even just has general Canadian pricing and vehicle knowledge that can tell me what to look for

Really, sincerely Appreciate any help. I chose this forum to post on because IÂ’m both looking at the Mirage, but also notice you guys are generally helpful even for people not using a Mirage

Thanks again
    I hope some of our Canadian forum members step up & help you with your search.

Unless a new vehicle is highly discounted below MSRP, I would focus on low mileage used cars. I would follow this practice even if I was independently wealthy.

My first preference in buying used would be a private party sale. Along with that, I want to sense/know that they have followed good maintenance practices. If their reason for selling the cars is a good one, that's also reassuring. I realize most anyone can make up crap, but it's pretty easy to read through it. For example - If someone just had their 3rd child and they recently bought a larger vehicle, they may be letting their Mirage go. Some people just like buying something new every few years, too.

When shopping for used vehicles, there's a couple things going for the Mirage. The power train is somewhat proven. A dealership in Minnesota has a 2014 Mirage with 414,000 miles on it. Outside of a starter or alternator being replaced, the car hasn't had anything majorly done to it. Fummin's company fleet of Mirages he works on is a good testament to the reliability of these cars, too. I would listen to whatever advice he shares, too.

Some minor updates (74 hp to 78 hp) occurred in 2017. A 2017+ may handle slightly better, but I have not driven a 2014-15 to confirm that personally. I would buy a low mileage 2017-18 over a high mileage 2020-21. A 2017-20 may look different than a 2021+, but it's basically different bumpers & not much else. The cars themselves are mechanically all the same! Anything 2017+ is basically the same car. I would keep that in mind when shopping for a used one. I would rank them by their mileage/use rather than the model year.

You need a car now, & that's the main thing (lack of time) working against you. Given the current market (lack of discounts on new models), I would focus on slightly used vehicles.

I bought a brand new 2017 Mirage, but I only paid 65.4% window sticker for it. Had I qualified for any of the 3 rebates offered at the time, it would have been even less. Those deals don't exist today. I would be back to shopping for used vehicles in today's market. Now that I have owned/driven a Mirage for almost 6 years, I wouldn't shy away from a low mileage used one at all.

If you find a few possibilities, feel free to share them. Members will give you an opinion about it. Some may try to find something better for you. In the end, you will need to search & decide for yourself. Personally, I wouldn't rule out a low mileage Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit if the price was right, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-26-2023 at 04:43 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

frost (03-26-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey Mark thanks again for getting back to me! Good info and all makes a lot of sense. I’m not a car guy other than the fact I drive standard. I got out of Auto as soon as I hit grade 9 and am mostly completely clueless with knowing how to possibly go over a previously owned vehicle. Best I can hope for is to maybe ask some locals if there’s anyone out there in used auto sales that isn’t a complete crook.

I live in a smaller town outside Waterloo and one of the mechanics in town has a good reputation and a neighbour of ours said to inquire with them if they have any kind of used car inventory. Given the fact these guys operate here every day and have a pretty stellar reputation in town as being good honest mechanics, maybe this means they wouldn’t be selling locals a scambox?

As you mentioned as well, if anybody in Canada maybe has some ideas I’ll drive within 500km of Waterloo if you think there’s a real gem out there! But I understand the responsibility is on me, and I certainly can’t be expected to get any handout . I will report back with any used listings I might find

A big thanks again, and please, write back any time. I have not made any progress yet and am back at my phone and computer ALL DAY today trying to Google as much as I can

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry just to follow up - below MSRP is absolutely not a thing anymore out here as far as I can tell. - maybe it is on the more expensive cars that dealerships are all focusing on now - but I tried Toyota, Honda, Mazda, everybody in Waterloo basically and for any of those entry models like Corollas and Civics (still over my budget) come with a 8 month wait time. New Mazda3 I believe ARE within budget as they have models in the 20,000s (MSRP, again, no way I’m getting any discount further, they’re gonna force upgrades, it’s the total opposite if anything) but again they said it could easily be a year. They have people that have already had their deadlines go way past and those people don’t even have a notice that their car is in production yet. It sounds absolutely nuts.. way more likely to pay over MSRP than under it seems

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Probably outside of your budget but a NEW versa SR is 25k and a kicks is 26k before tax at this dealer: https://www.avenuenissan.com/New-Inventory

I was looking at the versa SR as it has blind spot monitoring, push to start, remote start, collision avoidance with braking, carplay and some other comfort features.

I wouldn't personally buy a car without blind spot monitoring and collision avoidance, i think some insurance companies in ontario give you 10-15% discount for having it which means that it could sort of pay for itself.
    Last edited by mohammad; 03-26-2023 at 10:07 PM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Probably outside of your budget but a NEW versa SR is 25k and a kicks is 26k before tax at this dealer: https://www.avenuenissan.com/New-Inventory

I was looking at the versa SR as it has blind spot monitoring, push to start, remote start, collision avoidance with braking, carplay and some other comfort features.

I wouldn't personally buy a car without blind spot monitoring and collision avoidance, i think some insurance companies in ontario give you 10-15% discount for having it which means that it could sort of pay for itself.
    This is very good to know actually, and at least a possibility maybe with some saving up.. I bought my previous car out there as well in that area, had to drive into the GTA for it after someone on a deals forum posted it.

My question to you would be, do you know if these are readily available? Or could it potentially be 6months+ just to get it?

I literally just saw a thread on another Canadian forum discussing car wait times and I’m nearly positive there’s a guy waiting for his Kicks since Feb 2022 and doesn’t even have a notification that it’s in progress yet

Thanks again for any additional info and for the post

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    This is very good to know actually, and at least a possibility maybe with some saving up.. I bought my previous car out there as well in that area, had to drive into the GTA for it after someone on a deals forum posted it.

My question to you would be, do you know if these are readily available? Or could it potentially be 6months+ just to get it?

I literally just saw a thread on another Canadian forum discussing car wait times and I’m nearly positive there’s a guy waiting for his Kicks since Feb 2022 and doesn’t even have a notification that it’s in progress yet

Thanks again for any additional info and for the post
    I have no idea about availability but as the top trim of the cheapest car Nissan makes i wouldn't be surprised if it is actually in stock. I imagine it is as the vin number and stock number are shared in the ad?

Its also not as desirable as a more fuel efficient car like a hybrid Corolla which has independent multi-link rear suspension, rear disc brakes, wireless CarPlay, a more powerful engine, and a very advanced driver assistance system compared to the Versa(and optional AWD). The hybrid Corolla MSRP is 29k cad, the waitlist last i checked with a dealer was 8 months.

If you do find out if the car is actually in stock feel free to let us know.

waterloo nissan also has a versa "coming soon" https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...1267?undefined
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Versa at Waterloo is pre sold. Went in person yesterday and test drove some other things. Of course the salesman wants to get us into a brand new Kicks. Wife loved it actually, but I can't do 30k+ on the road sadly