Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Erratic idle and now check engine light

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    It's easy to tell. When you spray through the injector while cleaning, it atomizes the brake cleaner. If one or all the holes were clogged, you would see it spraying unevenly. Perhaps only a jet of fluid, or a jet of fluid inbetween the otherwise atomized spray.
    These injectors have 10 holes for atomizing fuel as fine as possible. That saves fuel because only evaporated fuel is what combustion wants. Fuel does not burn in liquid state, only evaporated fuel does. Since these holes are so microscopically small, a tiny particle is totally enough to clog a hole and increase fuel consumption or make it run unevenly. These injector cleaners do a good job and are cheap. They can also be used just for checking.
    And after all that, don't burn cheap gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    It's easy to tell. When you spray through the injector while cleaning, it atomizes the brake cleaner. If one or all the holes were clogged, you would see it spraying unevenly. Perhaps only a jet of fluid, or a jet of fluid inbetween the otherwise atomized spray.
    So, the injectors are pulled out to do the cleaning? Maybe a dumb question ... yeah, a dumb question considering its spraying brake cleaner. I've never thought about cleaning injectors before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I've never thought about cleaning injectors before.
    Same here until I watched this a little while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4MwHXjPUk21:27
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What part of that video made you want to clean them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

None of it "made me want to" but the part about having one effered injector took out an engine kinda had me thinking about it though.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It somewhat makes me want to pull the injectors out of my truck and send them off for cleaning and balancing. But the truck runs so well. Might not make any difference, and it is a good bit of work to pull them.

People claim they're hard to start back up due to priming issues. But I installed them (the bigger injectors it has now), turned the key to ON a few times to run the fuel pump, cranked it over for maybe 10 seconds and it fired up. Was pretty easy in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    It somewhat makes me want to pull the injectors out of my truck and send them off for cleaning and balancing. But the truck runs so well. Might not make any difference, and it is a good bit of work to pull them.

People claim they're hard to start back up due to priming issues. But I installed them (the bigger injectors it has now), turned the key to ON a few times to run the fuel pump, cranked it over for maybe 10 seconds and it fired up. Was pretty easy in my opinion.
    You're lucky. I replaced the injection pump(x2) in my old truck like yours(2002) and I didn't even bother trying to start it without cracking 3 of the injector lines(or I did and forgot because covid) to purge the air. Once it started to fire, tighten the lines up and it smoothed out. Do you still have the lift pump on the side of the engine near the fuel filter or has it been updated to the in-tank style? Failed lift pumps broked my injection pumps. One was stock and the other was a bd diesel lift pump that crapped out after a month. I had an edge tuner with the wire on the injection pump tapped, so that didn't help it life.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Old blue has 198k miles on it, on the 3rd lift pump in the original location (left side of the engine), and is on the original VP44 (injector pump). My son cranked it up a few times over this past weekend while I was standing outside of it. When it cranks and hits, if you're a lady standing near the tailpip not expecting anything, I'm sure they jump and dribble some tee-tee in their underwear. It is LAF when it first hits. And then it idles nearly LAF but sounds beautiful (to men's ears). It has the original manifold, original turbo, but from the downpipe back it is a straight 5" pipe. There's been 2 or 3 times when some old ladies were standing at ground zero ... so I waited until they cleared, because it might have sent them into arrythmia. I'm so nice.

You know, when you be standing some place kind of quiet and someone drops say, a book, and it hits flat on the floor, that loud pop that startles you? That's what starting this truck (if standing outside near the tailpipe) reminds me of. When my youngest son was in middle school, and I'd go pick him up sometimes (in old blue), we'd wait until a gaggle of girls were walking by real close to the tailpipe and make them jump and scatter (I'm so nice). Ahhhhh, fun times.

Wow. Mine had 440k km/273xxxmiles when I sold it. Still ran great. I did swap the turbo with one from a 6spd truck (because race car) and for some reason pulled the manifold off(don't remember why) and found it was cracked on the bottom iirc. It still made boost. I didn't notice much change after replacing both parts.

I like the exhaust on my truck(I think its some mrbp setup) unless I'm leaving for work at 5:30am and waking up my neighbors. It's not rappy like my 02 was and is quiet in the cab but not so much out the tail pipe. It drones if you do over 60mph when towing. I wish they made an actual crewcab 1994-2002 Style Dodge instead of the ext cab. My 05 with normal back doors has a tiny back seat that's not much bigger than the suicide door style.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quick update car has been running great but have been getting a check engine light for P0172 (system to rich (bank1) just haven’t had enough time to troubleshoot it. I will post a screenshot from the Carly app that I used to scan it because it’s odd in the permanent issues it shows p2096(post catalyst fuel trim system too lean). I did find a hose barb that I believe will work just want to make sure it’s secured well. Has anyone found a reliable way to get a little bit more power from these engines? Without going nutz and doing a stand-alone ecu to get better tuning ? Poor little engine doesn’t like the new alternator and I don’t think a second alternator is feasible with this engine. Name:  IMG_4713.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  88.2 KBName:  IMG_4713.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  88.2 KB