Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Erratic idle and now check engine light

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright cut all the loom/electrical tape off the maf and map sensors all the way back to were it collects with the main harness. Was getting dark but I don’t see any breaks or bare wires. Reinstalled the OEM intake with the original sensors and the car wouldn’t start at first when it was running for a few short seconds it’s was surging or chugging till it died. Replace the sensors with the new ones just to try and the car started right up no check engine light scan tool shows cylinder 1 misfire detected. You can hear it stutter but step on the throttle it responds ok. It started raining so stopped there for tonight I will get back to it as soon as I can tomorrow.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    So, with the OEM intake back in and both sensors replaced it more or less runs now but misfires?
    Lets get to the bottom of this, and that systematically! Either the MAF or MAP sensor could be broken. I would try replacing the MAP first, because those will easily break if dropped. Also check for bent pins mating the connectors. With that now rectified, it will run better.
    Now, its time to check what causes misfire in cylinder 1.
    Assuming compression is OK, you could simply swap the ignition coil between cyl 1 and another cylinder. Did the misfire wander with the swapped coil?
    If no change, check the wiring to the coil, also the sparkplug of cyl 1. If no improvement, you could swap injector 1 with number two.
    Probably it will be running now. If you still want to add the non-OEM intake, you could do it step by step, and undo whatever last step if it don't run good anymore. Finally the looms could be tidied up and fastened properly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update both sensors were bad. With OEM intake I tried each sensor 1 at a time. With one bad sensor it will run but gives that p0068 and I tried both bad ones and the car won’t start. I tried the new intake and it gives the check engine p0068 with the good sensors. The misfire was injector #1 I tried the way you described and the misfire went to #2. Replaced injector with known good one and she runs like a dream. I am in the process of re taping up all the wires and will replace the loom( Iam sure j have some somewhere). As far as the new intake I believe that crankcase vent needs that connection on the intake. I will see if I can modify the intake to tie the vent to it before I try installing it again.

This was pretty hard to follow. In your first post you stated you replaced the injectors I thought. Glad you're figuring it out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Bambam234 (03-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You’re correct, so far 2 bad new injectors I hate OEM prices and attempted to save money in something i probably shouldn’t have. I appreciate your help! I hope I can get this new intake usable cause it definitely looks better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bambam234 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-27-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Good you figured it out!
    Don't throw the bad injectors away. You could try a (cheap!) injector cleaner assy that works with a connected can of brake cleaner. Likely the injectors are only partly clogged. Saves you $$$

see:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/165950054251...Bk9SR_L3nMTkYQ
    Last edited by foama; 03-27-2023 at 06:10 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Bambam234 (03-27-2023),Fummins (03-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do those actually work? I had thought about trying it

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambam234 View Post
    Do those actually work? I had thought about trying it
    Yep! Worked every time for me. There is a video somewhere in youtube with a demonstration. It takes a bit of practice and needs to be done outdoors. Once you've got the knack it takes only a few seconds per injector.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Bambam234 (03-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Yep! Worked every time for me. There is a video somewhere in youtube with a demonstration. It takes a bit of practice and needs to be done outdoors. Once you've got the knack it takes only a few seconds per injector.
    I want to believe they work. But how does one KNOW that those things actually achieved anything?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I want to believe they work. But how does one KNOW that those things actually achieved anything?
    It's easy to tell. When you spray through the injector while cleaning, it atomizes the brake cleaner. If one or all the holes were clogged, you would see it spraying unevenly. Perhaps only a jet of fluid, or a jet of fluid inbetween the otherwise atomized spray.
    These injectors have 10 holes for atomizing fuel as fine as possible. That saves fuel because only evaporated fuel is what combustion wants. Fuel does not burn in liquid state, only evaporated fuel does. Since these holes are so microscopically small, a tiny particle is totally enough to clog a hole and increase fuel consumption or make it run unevenly. These injector cleaners do a good job and are cheap. They can also be used just for checking.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Bambam234 (03-28-2023)