Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage CVT needs to be replaced with used CVT. What years will work?

Quote Originally Posted by jack4713 View Post
    The first CVT replacement was at 39k miles right after I bought the car. Covered under warranty. The second was last week. 60k miles on the dealer-installed second CVT. Fluid was changed at 30k. And then on the highway there was a sudden loss of speed and the blinking "D" on the dashboard, and then the fun started.
    Did you happen to check to see what codes were stored? After tearing apart the cvt from my own car, I'm pretty confident that replacing(or possibly even just cleaning) the valve body could have fixed the problems it was having.

Who did the fluid changes for your car? Was it drained from the drain plug and filled back up or was the pan dropped too?

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quick question: I got a 2019 CVT with 19k miles on it. My mechanic tells me it will be ready tomorrow afternoon (4/10). He has lots of automatic transmission experience, but none with this CVT that I know of (I trust him to install). Is there anything I need to tell him about any resets or fluid/filter issues specific to this job?

Thanks!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'll defer to Fummins but if your 2019 CVT w/19k miles is in need of anything, well, it's mistreated junk and expect more problems. There's NO way unless that CVT was in a car towing 1500 lb. all the time it shouldn't meet all specs just like a basically new CVT.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quick question: I got a 2019 CVT with 19k miles on it. My mechanic tells me it will be ready tomorrow afternoon (4/10). He has lots of automatic transmission experience, but none with this CVT that I know of (I trust him to install). Is there anything I need to tell him about any resets or fluid/filter issues specific to this job?

Thanks!
    They’re nothing special that needs to be done.
    Bolt it in and go basically. There is sometimes chatter about relearn this and fluid degradation reset that but I’ve never bothered with that stuff and they work fine.

The only thing that’s finicky is the fluid level. There’s a fluid level chart posted in the service manual and it’s probably posted around the forum too. Make sure the mech uses cvt fluid that meets the J4 spec(most probably do) and not atf. To get the fluid level right you can monitor fluid temps and check dipstick or if in doubt pull the drain plug with the car level then refill with 2.5L. Should be about right.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    CVT Culprit? My mechanic put in a CVT from a 2019 with a "rumored" 19k miles on it. He said he noticed that the valve on the left in the picture had a plastic cap on it. The original mechanic forgot to uncap it. My guy says this caused it to overheat and fail. I've lost two CVTs prematurely. Did this error start at the factory?

He put in the Valvoline CVT/AFT fluid. Hoping that is alright. And he told me that he could not access the filter to replace it. Said the filter was internal (?). So, I've got all new fluid but the original filter at maybe 19k miles (mechanic laughed and ballparked 75k).

Name:  20230412_141134.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-12 144555.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  23.0 KB

CVT Culprit? My mechanic put in a CVT from a 2019 with a "rumored" 19k miles on it. He said he noticed that the valve on the left in the picture had a plastic cap on it. The original mechanic forgot to uncap it. My guy says this caused it to overheat and fail. I've lost two CVTs prematurely. Did this error start at the factory?

He put in the Valvoline CVT/AFT fluid. Hoping that is alright. And he told me that he could not access the filter to replace it. Said the filter was internal (?). So, I've got all new fluid but the original filter at maybe 19k miles (mechanic laughed and ballparked 75k).

Name:  20230412_141134.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-12 144555.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  23.0 KB
    That's the cvt cooler/heat exchanger. Those hose's would have coolant in them. If one of those were plugged/capped off then for sure that's your problem...But those hoses look cut so I assume that's the cooler from from the wrecker transmission?

Sounds kinda like the dealer is doing this install...They don't know these things have filters either. One is accessed via the oil pan, it's a typical looking screen filter, just like a regular automatic transmission since the 60's(and likely earlier). The other filter is in a round housing that's easily accessed by removing one 10mm bolt. There a round housing that you spin to unlock it then pull it out. It's sealed with a small o-ring. The filter just pops out.

I hope they used cvt fluid not atf(aft?). It's kinda hard to decipher which was actually used? The valvoline cvt fluid does meet the Mitsu J4 spec. This looks like a scammy as eff link but it's a pdf of the fluid specs. Trust me https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...0-ac162d889bd3
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-01-2023 at 01:51 PM.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the low down on what was going on with the coolant. This is the fluid the mechanic put in. Name:  20230412_140417.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  86.8 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jack4713 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-12-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I think you've had the worst luck with your JATCO CVT7 than anybody in North America! I'm sorry you're going thru all that but just know, your situation is an outlier, the Mirage has a good CVT reputation undoubtedly. I hope you get some recompense brother.

I can't say I've seen a bottle say cvt fluid and atf on the label before. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the others!
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    What was the mileage on the factory installed / first CVT failure?

And, do you remember what it did (failure mode) when it failed?

I ask because I'm following this thread and learning. I don't believe the first CVT failure was detailed. I would be curious.

It is VERY DOUBTFUL the factory would have missed connecting coolant lines. They do extensive checking during the course of a build, and after the build. If they missed the connection(s), I'm doubting they would have been plugged. And so, when the vehicle was cranked, I would imagine they would quickly have a mess and easily understand why. Again, I speculate (I'm good at speculating...).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-13-2023),mohammad (05-03-2023)