Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage CVT needs to be replaced with used CVT. What years will work?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2015 Mirage CVT needs to be replaced with used CVT. What years will work?

Hi,

My Mirage lost its second CVT today on the highway. It's done. I see several with low mileage on LKQ online. A 2020 CVT has 19k miles on it. Seems like a better bet than most. Can a 2020 Mirage CVT be installed on a 2015 Mirage?

Thanks!

Jack

Yes it can.

As far as I know any year will work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-31-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the fast reply. What might the labor cost be?

I'm not sure. Can be replaced in a day easy enough. If I had to guess what book time might be I'd say 6-7hrs X labor rate, plus "shop supplies", enviromental fees, and whatever things they charge for nowadays.

It's not any different than a regular automatic transmission as far as replacement goes. You have to remove the starter, tin inspection cover,torque convertor bolts, remove cv axles,lh inner fender, battery and tray,Shifter cable(remove bracket rather than try fiddling with plastic retainer),wiring(3 speed sensors and big round plug(pita) at front corner),Drain coolant,remove 2 hoses from heat exchanger, drain cvt fluid so fluid doesn't puke out when you remove axles(1st step), remove mounts(2), support engine (from above or below), remove bell housing bolts, removing suspension cross member isn't necessary but does make it easier to get in and out(it's only 5 bolts but it can be a pita to line steering shaft back up because it doesn't have a keyed shaft). They are heavier than they look. I can't remember how much exactly but they're pretty close to what the engine weighs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You have to remove the starter, tin inspection cover,torque convertor bolts, remove cv axles,lh inner fender, battery and tray,Shifter cable(remove bracket rather than try fiddling with plastic retainer),wiring(3 speed sensors and big round plug(pita) at front corner),Drain coolant,remove 2 hoses from heat exchanger, drain cvt fluid so fluid doesn't puke out when you remove axles(1st step), remove mounts(2), support engine (from above or below), remove bell housing bolts, removing suspension cross member isn't necessary but does make it easier to get in and out(it's only 5 bolts but it can be a pita to line steering shaft back up because it doesn't have a keyed shaft). They are heavier than they look. I can't remember how much exactly but they're pretty close to what the engine weighs.
    If I had a busted CVT and a lift at home, I think I'd give it a go. And then, after I tear all that shi1 up, have it flatbeded to a dealer and pay them to fix my problems. Aaaaah easy peasy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-03-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks again! Great info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The SECOND in a 2015!??
    Karl

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How are you chewing thru CVTs like that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The first CVT replacement was at 39k miles right after I bought the car. Covered under warranty. The second was last week. 60k miles on the dealer-installed second CVT. Fluid was changed at 30k. And then on the highway there was a sudden loss of speed and the blinking "D" on the dashboard, and then the fun started.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4713 View Post
    The first CVT replacement was at 39k miles right after I bought the car. Covered under warranty. The second was last week. 60k miles on the dealer-installed second CVT. Fluid was changed at 30k. And then on the highway there was a sudden loss of speed and the blinking "D" on the dashboard, and then the fun started.
    That's sucks man! Yours is the lowest amount of miles before CVT failure by far. There was one on here that failed at 130k miles and another at 175k IIRC. I'd drop that lemon ASAP, what your Mirage is doing isn't normal at all.