Thread: A personal note and thank you for this forum

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A personal note and thank you for this forum

Hey everyone-

So last Thursday my father passed away from cancer. He was 74.

I've mentioned here and there that I've been driving from Indiana to Ohio a lot. The reason I've been doing this was, at first, to help my dad when he was sick (he was being take care of, heroically, by mom at home so I was helping share the load when I could). In the past 5 days it was to help plan and execute the funeral arrangements. As I now joke (dad would have laughed at this): try not to die, it is a lot of work!

It also explains my desperation to buy a car (see also: my Introduction post). I actually really needed it to help mom and dad out. It also explains why I was so incredibly upset with Carvana when they screwed me over on the delivery date multiple times. I actually got upset and emotional with them over this.

It may also help explain why, when I saw that I could just take the money I had to buy a nice used car and instead just buy a brand new car off the lot, I jumped on it. I had thought this was an impossibility in 2023, and it was literally just a couple days before I was to head off to Ohio to help Dad for a week. If I hadn't found this car, I would have probably needed to have my wife drop me off *and* pick me up each way for the 3+ hour drive. I would have done it, but it sure would have made it much harder.

And it should also help explain why I post so darn much here: It has been a welcome distraction. It is hugely stressful to have a beloved parent fall ill, and even more stressful when it is clear that you are entering the end-of-life phase in that person's illness. So to come on here to chat cars was frankly a lot of fun. I am *not* a car guy but for some reason I found it to be a great escape to just post on this forum about the dumb little things I was doing with my Mirage.

And, of course, I've learned alot from you guys which is really neat.

Anyway- I hope you don't think its weird that I'm saying this- but it is what it is! And obviously I'll continue to post here as I've grown to like this community. I'm guessing my posting frequency will go down somewhat, but it shouldn't completely dissipate as I'm sure I'll keep doing silly little things to the car over time. And I find the fuel mileage log to be fun- much like a video game of sorts (I drive my wife and kids nuts with how I track it, haha).

That's it everyone- just wanted to say thanks for this community during this weird time in my life. -rohoGames

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rohoGames For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

7milesout (04-10-2023),Ares (04-10-2023),Cobrajet (04-14-2023),CROSSBOLT (04-06-2023),foama (04-08-2023),Fummins (04-06-2023),inuvik (04-06-2023),Mark (04-06-2023),mohammad (04-06-2023),precisionxt (04-06-2023),Top_Fuel (04-06-2023),Wallythacker (04-12-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. My thoughts & prayers are headed your way for you & your family.

I am planning to visit my parents (age 82 & 80) for Easter. They are little banged up from recent falls and various aches & pains from years of hard work on a small dairy farm. I live in SW Wisconsin, & they live in NE Wisconsin. I use my Mirage to close that distance quite often, too.

This forum may be the best part of being a Mirage owner. I've visited some other car forums in the past, & I was not impressed! Personally, I think Mirage owners & dog lovers may be some of the best people I know!

I'm glad to hear the forum has been a much needed distraction. I think we all need that at times in life. Hang in there! Life is good!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-06-2023),mohammad (04-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your Dad. I miss mine every day.

you'll make amazing contacts here. This is really the best place for all things Mirage and many things in life.

Enjoy your little beast! Nothing is better.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    rohoGames - I've felt a good feeling from you from your post #1. I was in similar shoes as you back from the middle of 2019 when my mother passed, until February 2021, when my dad passed (https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ad-passed-away).

I drove my Blueberry 140 miles each way almost every weekend to my dad's house to help him out. I took care of his bills, pills and meals. Well, I cooked (nothing extravagant) when I was there over the weekend. He nearly killed himself screwing up his medication. He was recovering from lung cancer (surgery & radiation). I made a spreadsheet for his medication (when and how much) and created a organization of where to keep his med bottles so as to help him with what and when, and checking it off on the spreadsheet I made. Got him straightened out on that and kept his bills paid and took that worry off his mind.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad passing. My condolences. It's tough. I hope we still see you in here aplenty.

7milesout
    Last edited by 7milesout; 04-10-2023 at 02:37 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    rohoGames - I've felt a good feeling from you from your post #1. I was in similar shoes as you back from the middle of 2019 when my mother passed, until February 2021, when my dad passed (https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ad-passed-away).

I drove my Blueberry 140 miles each way almost every weekend to my dad's house to help him out. I took care of his bills, pills and meals. Well, I cooked (nothing extravagant) when I was there over the weekend. He nearly killed himself screwing up his medication. He was recovering from lung cancer (surgery & radiation). I made a spreadsheet for his medication (when and how much) and created a organization of where to keep his med bottles so as to help him with what and when, and checking it off on the spreadsheet I made. Got him straightened out on that and kept his bills paid and took that worry off his mind.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad passing. My condolences. It's tough. I hope we still see you in here aplenty.

7milesout
    Thank you! Wow, you were an incredible help to your parents! I'm sure I'll keep puttering around here. I really like this community!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

7milesout
    I should adopt you. With my recent health problems, starting with cancer in 2018 and continuing to today a lot of my life fell apart. Without March of Dimes seeing me daily I'm sure I would have perished, but they only provided cooking/care for me, no help with meds (and I nearly killed myself with them). My oldest is holding a grudge against me, she's 35 now and my other is only 13, a bit young to help.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    You'd have to dig your way out of the through the snow and head south. I couldn't handle only having 10 days of summer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You'd have to dig your way out of the through the snow and head south. I couldn't handle only having 10 days of summer.
    It's 11 actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    It's 11 actually.
    Lucky! We only get 6 over here.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    My parents live north of Green Bay, & they got 2" of snow on Friday night. It was pretty much gone by the time I got there on Saturday.

It's so nice this week - I'm thinking of pulling the snow tires off the old Forester soon!

Turkey hunting blinds are going up this week! Spring is here!

Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-12-2023),inuvik (04-12-2023)