Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fog lights

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have some fogs to install my self this spring. Does anyone have an ETACS cable they want to sell? I plan to do lots of ECM fiddling on my 2014 & 2107 this summer.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just an Update. I took the Mirage in for It's first maintenance and the Dealer turned on the fog lights for me at a cost of $35.00 I think it was 1/4 hr labor. The mechanic I spoke with stated that on the 23 Mirages everything must be done thru the ETACS system. He also recommended that to bring the Vehicle in at least 1 time a year and have any updates preformed that have to be done thru the ETACS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    ...the Dealer turned on the fog lights for me at a cost of $35.00 I think it was 1/4 hr labor.
    Thanks for the update. Glad you finally got them working.

That's great that they only charged you $35. My Mitsubishi dealer is competent, but I've never been charged anything less than 1 hour ($100) for anything. I don't think they would tell me where the restrooms are without charging me for an hour of labor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-24-2023),Fummins (05-24-2023)

Yeah, I had a dealer charge an hour of diag time to tell me a car with a fuked transmisison needed spark plugs and the throttle body cleaned.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Hide the OBD connector, and they can't run diagnostics. If they try to charge you for it, call them on it.

This is if you know what the problem is and just want them to do what you say.

To hide it, I pull it out of the holder bracket and jam it as far up inside the guts of the dash wires as possible.

On Edit: I need to clarify that I have not done this with the Mirage. As I have never taken my Mirage to the dealer. It's better off, and so is my wallet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Hide the OBD connector, and they can't run diagnostics. If they try to charge you for it, call them on it.

This is if you know what the problem is and just want them to do what you say.

To hide it, I pull it out of the holder bracket and jam it as far up inside the guts of the dash wires as possible.
    A piece of tape over the connector would probably be just as confusing.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Just an Update. I took the Mirage in for It's first maintenance and the Dealer turned on the fog lights for me at a cost of $35.00 I think it was 1/4 hr labor. The mechanic I spoke with stated that on the 23 Mirages everything must be done thru the ETACS system. He also recommended that to bring the Vehicle in at least 1 time a year and have any updates preformed that have to be done thru the ETACS.
    It's good to hear that your fog lights are now working, and the dealer didn't charge much to make that happen.

As far as performing yearly updates through ETACS, what does everyone think about that? I have never heard of such a thing. Has something changed on the more current Mirages that would require this? What features are being updated?

I can't imagine a 2023 Mirage is all that different from previous models with the exception of Forward Collision Mitigation becoming standard on all trim levels.

Is this once a year update recommendation legit, or is he being fed a line of bull?

Does our maintenance schedule recommend such a thing?

Just curious what others think?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's good to hear that your fog lights are now working, and the dealer didn't charge much to make that happen.

As far as performing yearly updates through ETACS, what does everyone think about that? I have never heard of such a thing. Has something changed on the more current Mirages that would require this? What features are being updated?

I can't imagine a 2023 Mirage is all that different from previous models with the exception of Forward Collision Mitigation becoming standard on all trim levels.

Is this once a year update recommendation legit, or is he being fed a line of bull?

I thought it odd. The dealers nearby me didn’t even say that when I took it to them for free oil change. I personally wouldn’t want to take it to them when the car isn’t broken. I mean don’t have it fixed if it not broken.

As far as fog light activation goes, for $35 bucks, it a seamless affordable option. I would had love that on me. I wonder if he even tried the “open doors/10 second” approach? Because that what I did, obviously without ETAC and it didn’t even take me >2 minutes to accomplish.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I think that recommendation is just a sales division fishing for income, and totally unnecessary. Probably even NOT recommended.

Nowadays, OEMs can make software changes, that can dumb things down in order to avoid potential warranty costs. I know of a specific thing but it is for my old blue Dodge. I've never let the dealer touch the OBD connector on that truck and it runs like Swiss watch ... a Swiss watch that is loud as hell. Just like it did the day I bought it. The way electronics and computers have changed in the past 25 years, there's absolutely no telling what dealers can do in your vehicle now, without asking or receiving your consent.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I thought it odd. The dealers nearby me didn’t even say that when I took it to them for free oil change. I personally wouldn’t want to take it to them when the car isn’t broken. I mean don’t have it fixed if it not broken.

As far as fog light activation goes, for $35 bucks, it a seamless affordable option. I would had love that on me. I wonder if he even tried the “open doors/10 second” approach? Because that what I did, obviously without ETAC and it didn’t even take me >2 minutes to accomplish.
    According to his first post, I think he did try the door flapping procedure. Apparently, it didn't work for him.

I have very little respect for dealerships. I would go to them for warranty work, recall work, or if my local small town mechanic sends me there.

I replaced the HVAC mode actuator on my 2015 Impala Limited recently. It's a small electrical motor that allows you to select your different modes (vents, defrost, etc.). It was stuck in vent mode. The part was $55 at Auto Zone (Dorman with lifetime warranty). Since it's not my car, I got some quotes for my driving school owner. My local Chevy dealer wanted $95 for the A/C Delco part, & I asked the service manager what the cost would be to install it. I was quoted $1,224 (claims they had to remove the entire dash/8-hours labor).

I watched an 11 minute YouTube clip. I dropped the glove box compartment & installed the new $55 part in under a half hour.

I even suggested to the GM service manager that I watched something that showed how to do the job in less time, and he had no interest in what I had to share. I have lived in this area for 37 years , & it was the first time I ever set foot in the local GM dealership. The girl at the parts department seemed annoyed that I stopped her from looking at her computer screen. When I got to "2015 Impala Limited", she stopped me & asked a 2nd guy there for help. Nothing about my short visit there was impressive.

Personally, I think dealerships need to be called on their sh-t. There's nothing that suggests a vehicle needs a yearly ETAC evaluation. I would be asking them why? What's the purpose? Please show me in writing where this is necessary? Pointing that out to them, however, probably wouldn't change much. I would probably leave just more irritated. Have I mentioned I don't like going to dealerships!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2023)