Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tambourine like noise while acceleration

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    nimas1377 - I heard the noise in your sound clip. It is very light, not what I was expecting. I wouldn't say it sounds like a tambourine, at least not what I was hearing. It sounds like something rather unimportant. I wouldn't sweat it too much, as it doesn't sound like a problem that would lead to a breakdown. I recommend to let it manifest. Meaning, see if it gets worse. If it gets worse, it would be easier to identify.

If I were to take a guess, it sounds like something in the exhaust hangers or rear suspension.
    thanks for the reply
    yeah I don't really mind it but a reviewer said that mirage engine knocks in our country and I wanted to prove him wrong
    also the sound starts to appear when engine is warmed up
    I took a short trip today and didn't notice a thing but after it warmed up it was more noticeable

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks
    Hi, is there any update? I have the same noise.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Brother. Mine did this starting at 15-20k kilometers.

I have yet to figure it out.

I have heard this noise in other vehicles. A CVT corolla quite recently. It might just be the exhaust moving around tbh. This is also coupled with another exhaust rattle.

I made another post about it myself talking about the car sounds like someone is dropping coins below it. This is Exactly what I described in your voice note. I would love to know if someone can shed more light on this "tinkling" I call it
    SIMPLIFY THEN ADD LIGHTNESS.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimas1377 View Post
    hello everyone this is my first post here and I have a question and it might sound dumb but I hope I can get a good convincing answer

so I have a 2017 mirage CVT and when I'm in somewhere with walls around I can clearly hear a tambourine like sound while pressing the gas pedal slightly ( 1500 to 2000 RPM ) reflecting and It's not really visible on idle but it's specially present while acceleration on uphill parking ramps. someone told me it's knocking but I'm not sure ( in my country the fuel quality is bad but no naturally aspirated car ever had problem so I doubt it).

the car doesn't have much millage it's approaching 30k KM.

also another thing I noticed is when car is on idle and the a/c compressor kicks in dashboard light/maplight gets a bit dimmer then goes back to normal, I was wondering if it's normal?
    Literally every Mirage I have ever driven has made this noise. My brother just bought a '14 DE with 91k and asked about it. My '15 ES has 227k and makes this noise. My fiancee's '17 G4 SE made this noise. Her '15 DE made this noise. Her '14 ES made this noise. My ex's '14 DE made this noise. Her '17 ES made this noise. My buddy's '17 SE made this noise....

I think it is normal. Personally, I always presumed these engines were just designed to run lean and ping a bit. I notice it the most under light throttle accelleration which makes sense.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Whenever I'm in a drive-thru, I think my Mirage sounds like a lawnmower (when sound is reflecting off of the wall).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.6 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chumbo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Personally, I always presumed these engines were just designed to run lean and ping a bit.
    Absolutely not. It would be harmful to the engine (long term) and warranty claims would soar. Ain't nobody wants that. Secondly, it is my understanding that at least U.S. bound vehicles have to be tuned nowadays to run stoich across the whole fuel map, or at least as much as possible. Because the pre-cat emissions from stoich are MUCH cleaner than at any other AFR. Then run that through a catalyst and car exhausts are quite impressively clean. And the catalyst will last a lot longer processing stoichiometric exhaust. There are advantages to running it this way. Let me follow that with, this is my understanding, I'm not a factory ECU tuning expert.

However, I wouldn't mind tapping the ECU and have the ability to steer it a bit leaner under specific (hiway cruising) conditions. It would be nice to get a smooth 50 mpg at say ... 70 mpg. That should be feasible without unfavorable effects to the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

I tried again and can barely hear anything. Does it sound like this
    Can hear it best at the 8 second mark. Gotta have the bass turned down all the way to hear it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That noise at 8 seconds TO ME simply sounds like an exhaust harmonic (a local natural frequency). And the result of the local natural frequency in the exhaust is that wherever that is occurring in the exhaust, it is causing that part of the exhaust to rattle against something else. In summary: Sounds like an exhaust rattle to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That noise at 8 seconds TO ME simply sounds like an exhaust harmonic (a local natural frequency). And the result of the local natural frequency in the exhaust is that wherever that is occurring in the exhaust, it is causing that part of the exhaust to rattle against something else. In summary: Sounds like an exhaust rattle to me.
    The car in the video I posted is a 2017 that had a heat shield partially rusted off on the section of pipe between the two cats. The front part of the shield is clamped around the pipe. The clamp rusted apart. I ground the other brackets off and tossed the shield in the trash. No more rattle. The heat shields on the rear cat are common to rust off too and make fun noises.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a cost-down opportunity for Mitsubishi. HEADS UP MITSUBISHI!

In Canadian destination vehicles, where it never gets hot, you could just leave off the heat shields. Then the heat shields wouldn't rust or rattle. And the heat from the exhaust would do a better job warming up the bottom of the car, and keeping the cab just a bit toastier! A win-win! A couple / few dollhairs per car profit to you! P.S. - I'll take my cut for the idea!