Thread: Rear spray nozzle not working

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Rear spray nozzle not working

Recently my rear washer has stopped working, when activated it instead sprays from the front but at a weaker pressure than had you intentionally activated the front washer.

I put 30psi and some water into the nozzle and it sprayed. Not sure if this was a good idea but then I put 30psi backwards into the hose that feeds the rear nozzle and its bubbled out the reservoir and made a mess in the engine bay. Still same behavior as before. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Sounds like the line running to the rear has a kink or blockage. I'm betting there's a clever way to clear it. But I'm not clever enough to know. At the Hyundai plant, at least at one time, they liked to assemble this fluid line as wrong as possible, even though the friggin fluid line had markings all over it as to where to support the line, and prevent too much slack or too little slack in any one area. But, the line workers didn't give a rip, they had their conversations going on, and just flung the line in there wherever so they could get back to their conversation. Lots and lots of fluid jams.

Pulled engineering into it ("we got an engineering defect here...") and we showed them ... "you see these markings? Yeah, those are markings. You use those as a guide. Watch this" ... on this problem vehicle if we simply re-assembled it to the correct locations, the fluid sprayed freely! The next day, we'd walk down there and they're just flinging them on again. Anywho - I had to vent.

Maybe disconnect it at both ends if you can get to both ends, and blow some air through it. Just a suggestion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-12-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, air definitely came through it at 30psi, but I guess the pump doesn't produce that much. A kink would make sense but I only glanced at where I thought the lines might be routed and didn't see anything because I was getting ready for a roadtrip. I'll take a better look soon. Until then guess I'm just wiping the rear window by hand at the gas pump, lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Sounds like the line running to the rear has a kink or blockage. I'm betting there's a clever way to clear it. But I'm not clever enough to know. At the Hyundai plant, at least at one time, they liked to assemble this fluid line as wrong as possible, even though the friggin fluid line had markings all over it as to where to support the line, and prevent too much slack or too little slack in any one area. But, the line workers didn't give a rip, they had their conversations going on, and just flung the line in there wherever so they could get back to their conversation. Lots and lots of fluid jams.

Pulled engineering into it ("we got an engineering defect here...") and we showed them ... "you see these markings? Yeah, those are markings. You use those as a guide. Watch this" ... on this problem vehicle if we simply re-assembled it to the correct locations, the fluid sprayed freely! The next day, we'd walk down there and they're just flinging them on again. Anywho - I had to vent.

Maybe disconnect it at both ends if you can get to both ends, and blow some air through it. Just a suggestion.
    As a young engineer at Ford in the raw body build section rather than properly fix the jig that holds the door to the frame my superiors decided to use the jig as is and let the line staff use rubber mallets to center the door in the van frame. Well these clowns pounded the f*uck out the doors to the point of throwing the van out of square! down the line NOTHING would fit in, not interiors, trim, NADA. Hyundai didn't own the retard eng. award, Ford and Chryco (friends of mine in Brampton) told similar retard tales.

For some color, a bare metal car body is really weak. Only with the addition of items that are structural in nature, glass, engine, headliner, interior body panels, does the car become strong enough to take the daily pounding on a road.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    It's an interesting field to work in Wally. If Toyota did any of that baboon type of bidness, I never saw it. Did you ever experience any of that structural foam? I'm not a body guy so I had only limited experience with it. Vendors for it would come in and propose to spray it down A, B, C pillars. They bring in some pillar cuts and spray it in there, and that stuff would expand inside. They said it was super light and became as hard as cement. I don't know if Toyota ever used it in production. It was probably somewhat sloppy to control, and of course, it was yet another cost to add. I've pondered in a few cases, I'd like to have some of that stuff to spray a few places. It was some really cool stuff.

whisk - if you had air coming through as freely as you mentioned, it doesn't seem to have a blockage. I don't know if I've ever triggered mine to work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskthecat View Post
    Well, air definitely came through it at 30psi, but I guess the pump doesn't produce that much. A kink would make sense but I only glanced at where I thought the lines might be routed and didn't see anything because I was getting ready for a roadtrip. I'll take a better look soon. Until then guess I'm just wiping the rear window by hand at the gas pump, lol.
    There is only one pump in these things. It runs in one direction to pump to the front and the other direction to pump to the rear. There's a check valve in the pump. It's been a while since I had one out, can't remember if you can remove the pump without pulling the bumper or inner fender out of the way? The washer line to the rear runs inside the car, you might be able to see it by removing the glove box. I'm pretty sure there's a clear section of line inside the car there. It should run down to the rear along the rh sill plate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There is only one pump in these things. It runs in one direction to pump to the front and the other direction to pump to the rear. There's a check valve in the pump. It's been a while since I had one out, can't remember if you can remove the pump without pulling the bumper or inner fender out of the way? The washer line to the rear runs inside the car, you might be able to see it by removing the glove box. I'm pretty sure there's a clear section of line inside the car there. It should run down to the rear along the rh sill plate.
    That's interesting stuff. I always figgered it was one motor, running in both directions but on cars with rear fillers there must be a second motor?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)