Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a used 2015 DE Hatchback (CVT) 102K miles. A bit rough, but $3500

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Got a used 2015 DE Hatchback (CVT) 102K miles. A bit rough, but $3500

Recently purchased a used 2015 DE Hatchback (but w/the CVT). About 102K miles. A bit rough but was only $3500US. (Infrared color)
    So far love the MPG. Have added some interior accessories (armrest box, cup holders, windshield shades, cell phone holder & new floor mats) to get it "Comfy".
    Also added some of those side window "brows" to allow opening them a bit even in rain.
    Just installed a "universal" washer fluid bottle but retained the lower portion of the original (cracked) bottle to function as a "shelf" for the new washer bottle unit.
    So far so good!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotaidalg For This Useful Post:

Ares (04-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotaidalg View Post
    Recently purchased a used 2015 DE Hatchback (but w/the CVT). About 102K miles. A bit rough but was only $3500US. (Infrared color)
    So far love the MPG. Have added some interior accessories (armrest box, cup holders, windshield shades, cell phone holder & new floor mats) to get it "Comfy".
    Also added some of those side window "brows" to allow opening them a bit even in rain.
    Just installed a "universal" washer fluid bottle but retained the lower portion of the original (cracked) bottle to function as a "shelf" for the new washer bottle unit.
    So far so good!
    Nice. Can't imagine in this market you could have done much better for 3500!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, Rotaidalg!

Congrats on the buy. Agreed that 3500 is a steal these days.

Maintenance history? You're going to want to make sure that CVT fluid is fresh & clean.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    welcome

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    CVT fluid change at Aamco would serve you well, $225. You can check the CVT fluid, it has a dipstick similar to your engine on the right side of the engine bay. The fluid should be a very faint, but clear green. If it's brown or black, change it out. Fummins is our JATCO CVT7 guru on this site. He can walk you thru it if you DIY.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT on hand & filter & O-ring OTW!

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, Rotaidalg!

Congrats on the buy. Agreed that 3500 is a steal these days.

Maintenance history? You're going to want to make sure that CVT fluid is fresh & clean.
    Already got things "moving" to get that done! I "drive like a Grandma" (though I am a Grandpa! LOL!) so I'm hoping to get many miles out of this thing.
    We already own a 2015 Fit (great little car as well!) that will now be the "Wife's"! So I'm comfortable/familiar w/a CVT, smaller engine & great MPG. This was just a less expensive (& intriguing!) option over an older Honda Fit.
    Found this website for the CVT issues from a tech's perspective:
    https://www.transmissiondigest.com/j...0a-bench-tips/
    Might be helpful?!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool score for $3500. Change that CVT juice and roll out.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotaidalg View Post
    Already got things "moving" to get that done! I "drive like a Grandma" (though I am a Grandpa! LOL!) so I'm hoping to get many miles out of this thing.
    We already own a 2015 Fit (great little car as well!) that will now be the "Wife's"! So I'm comfortable/familiar w/a CVT, smaller engine & great MPG. This was just a less expensive (& intriguing!) option over an older Honda Fit.
    Found this website for the CVT issues from a tech's perspective:
    https://www.transmissiondigest.com/j...0a-bench-tips/
    Might be helpful?!
    Welcome! That article is about a similar but very different cvt and most of the stuff won't apply to the Mirage cvt (there is no shim under any speed sensors, no rom in the valve body etc...) The cvt in these cars is a JF015E and looks very different than the Jf011E.

Like everyone else already suggested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least do a drop and fill(or two if the fluid is dark) of the cvt fluid. Dropping the pan is easy enough and you could see how much shmooh is stuck to the 2 magnets.
    If changing the cartridge filter make sure the inner cap of the old filter comes off, sometimes the filter comes apart and the one parts sticks to the trans.

And when re-installing the housing be careful as the o-ring can pinch easy enough and hold pressure until it doesn't. And... some aftermarket o-rings are reported to not fit properly so you may have to go argue with the Mitsu parts desk and get one from them(if you didn't already).
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-21-2023),MetroMPG (04-21-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Welcome! That article is about a similar but very different cvt and most of the stuff won't apply to the Mirage cvt (there is no shim under any speed sensors, no rom in the valve body etc...) The cvt in these cars is a JF015E and looks very different than the Jf011E.

Like everyone else already suggested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least do a drop and fill(or two if the fluid is dark) of the cvt fluid. Dropping the pan is easy enough and you could see how much shmooh is stuck to the 2 magnets.
    If changing the cartridge filter make sure the inner cap of the old filter comes off, sometimes the filter comes apart and the one parts sticks to the trans.

And when re-installing the housing be careful as the o-ring can pinch easy enough and hold pressure until it doesn't. And... some aftermarket o-rings are reported to not fit properly so you may have to go argue with the Mitsu parts desk and get one from them(if you didn't already).
    Or he could simply order the cvt parts from Nissan and use the search engine for a Nissan Cube or Juke, same cvt, cheaper parts I imagine.