Thread: 2014 Mirage speedometer stops working and all warning lights but CEL come on

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2014 Mirage speedometer stops working and all warning lights but CEL come on

Hi. I have a 2014 Mirage (USA, California model) with the 1.2 CVT power train. Can’t remember what the trim level is, but it’s the base model. Anyway, when I’m driving and I go over a certain speed (somewhere around 50 mph) the speedometer will quit working, and almost every warning light comes on except the CEL (I’ll attach a pic). If I stop and restart the car everything will return to normal until I get up to that speed it again. It doesn’t do it at exactly the same time, every time, but it has been doing it every time I drive lately.

When it happens the brake, ABS, traction control active, traction control off, and electric power steering warning lights all come on. Not sure about tire pressure warning light and air bag light because those were already on for different reasons. Also, when it happens the speedometer quits working and so does the power steering. The tachometer works normally, and the car drives, shifts, and brakes normally, plus the fuel economy is normal. The check engine light never comes on during or after this happens.

I tried to pull codes with a basic harbor freight code reader and it says there are no stored codes. I tried again with an ELM 327 unit (so I could watch the speed sensor data) and it shows that the speed sensor is dependably reporting the speed the whole time I am driving, even when the speedo quits working. The ELM 327 was able to pull a P170E code, but my research says this is a manufacturer specific code and I haven’t been able to get a clear answer on what it means.

I’m leaning towards thinking that maybe the speedometer or dashboard has gone bad, but I’d like to diagnose the problem more conclusively before I start spending money. Any help is appreciated.

Note: I just confirmed that my CEL, battery, and low oil pressure lights do work, they just don’t come on when the rest of the lights do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is the link to the picture, the forum isn’t letting me edit my post to add it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/10G-...w?usp=drivesdk

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The white stains on the instrument panel is what happens when someone clears clear plastics with the wrong kind of cleaner, for those who are curious.