Thread: Tires or tubes?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Tires or tubes?

I picked up a couple of riding mowers that will suit me better than my 13hp 38" cut when I refurb them. They are 30"cut single blade with small 8-10hp rear mount engines, one has a CVT!!! and the other is a 5 speed. (just like our Mirages!)

Both have fairly major weather cracking on the rear tires, which are 16x6.5x8. They all hold air, I don't know how. Maybe they have tubes already, at this point I don't know. If they don't then my plan is to do the cheapest thing that gives me reliability. Are tubed tires (of any condition within reason) more durable that tubeless? Should all tires get tubes for the utmost in reliability?

So, new tubes ($20) are cheaper than tires ($46) but at what point should I really be writing off the tires and going for new ones? I should attach pics but of course at the moment it's pouring out.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I picked up a couple of riding mowers that will suit me better than my 13hp 38" cut when I refurb them. They are 30"cut single blade with small 8-10hp rear mount engines, one has a CVT!!! and the other is a 5 speed. (just like our Mirages!)

Both have fairly major weather cracking on the rear tires, which are 16x6.5x8. They all hold air, I don't know how. Maybe they have tubes already, at this point I don't know. If they don't then my plan is to do the cheapest thing that gives me reliability. Are tubed tires (of any condition within reason) more durable that tubeless? Should all tires get tubes for the utmost in reliability?

So, new tubes ($20) are cheaper than tires ($46) but at what point should I really be writing off the tires and going for new ones? I should attach pics but of course at the moment it's pouring out.
    My 1993 John Deere LX176 (14 hp Kawasaki engine) with a 38" deck has been a good mower. I bought it used in 2002 for approximately $1,500. The owner of a large John Deere dealership told me I would be much happier with this machine over some of the cheaper new John Deere models I was considering at the time. I mow as many as 3 or 4 lawns with it some summers. My yard isn't exactly flat or pleasant to mow either.

I replaced my front tires two years ago. They were really shot! I had a thorn go through one of the new tires last summer already. I put a plug in it, and it has been fine ever since. I see value in tubes, but most of these things go without these days.

My rear tires seem perfectly fine after 30 years. If I had to replace them (20x10-8), I would put an aggressive UTV tire on the rear. I would value the extra traction at times!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My 1993 John Deere LX176 (14 hp Kawasaki engine) with a 38" deck has been a good mower. I bought it used in 2002 for approximately $1,500. The owner of a large John Deere dealership told me I would be much happier with this machine over some of the cheaper new John Deere models I was considering at the time. I mow as many as 3 or 4 lawns with it some summers. My yard isn't exactly flat or pleasant to mow either.

I replaced my front tires two years ago. They were really shot! I had a thorn go through one of the new tires last summer already. I put a plug in it, and it has been fine ever since. I see value in tubes, but most of these things go without these days.

My rear tires seem perfectly fine after 30 years. If I had to replace them (20x10-8), I would put an aggressive UTV tire on the rear. I would value the extra traction at times!
    Hey Mark you're up late. I know the JD you have. Very nice choice. And obviously tough as it's 30 yo and still strong. I think I'll go with new tires. when there is a sale I can get them 16x6.5x8 for about $25 which is only a few bucks more than tubes. All the property I need to mow is flat thankfully, and easy access. I'm fine with regular tread tires. Both my new mowers are the same era give or take 3-5 years. The tires on the one are great, hold air, no cracking. The other tires are horrid. I'm guessing both tractors are on original tires and the one was stored carelessly. It probably say outside all winter long axle deep in rotted mulch and soaking wet.

My 38" mover can't easily go between yards at my house without fiddling with fences. There's also an issue at my other properties where I can use my 38" but it has to be offloaded on the road and driven a bit before I can access my land. I'd much rather unload my 30" cut right where the first cut begins. Of course I also realize it takes longer using my 30" instead of the 38". If I had a 46" or more and could use it I could do the job in half the time. I have about 3 acres to cut at my rural place and maybe 1/2 acres in town.

I don't mind cutting grass in the nicer weather. I'm outside, I get to daydream a bit, the air is fresh. That's all pretty good. It beats any form of snow blowing.

Hmm, what do you know, I think I found a good sale on 16x6.5x8, $23. Free shipping if I up my total order to $100.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)