Thread: Noticed a little flaw...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts

Noticed a little flaw...

This is for the 5MT owners. Perhaps a CVT might do this too.

This morning I was driving along, and when I noticed the next substantial section of road will coast nicely without losing much or any speed, I bumped it into Neutral (release the clutch pedal) and coasted.

So I'm doing that, coasting. And just for giggles, I pressed the "Set" cruise toggle down. And sure enough the rpms come up to an rpm that would have worked for 5th. I've never had a car do this before. Most can't be tricked into activating the cruise function while coasting in Neutral. I hit cancel which worked, and thought I'd post it "up in here."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

That's something I've never tried in a manual. I imagine the same would happen with your truck but may not have the same outcome lol Most manuals that I've seen aren't smart enough to know whether it's in gear or neutral except reverse.
    I know that when I have the cruise activated in my cvt car it will kick off the cruise when you shift to neutral, it happens pretty quick and the rpm doesn't really have a chance to chance much.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I'm 90% sure it doesn't do this in my truck. I believe I tried it years ago. I don't know how my truck knows, but it does.

Try this: push yours to N while rolling. Once in N and rolling, then try to set your cruise. I already had my system ON, and pressed down on the toggle. I wasn't expecting anything and was surprised. The motion from D to N might be killing it. But my guess is, your still won't set once already in N.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage manual doesn't have a neutral detection switch. Just a clutch switch. I think lots of other manual cars I have owned will rev up if you try to set the cruise with it rolling in neutral.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    The Mirage manual doesn't have a neutral detection switch. Just a clutch switch.
    I think mine has, for it's AS&G. The procedure to stop the engine is put the gear in neutral and release the clutch. But of course it is possible that simply releasing the clutch is enough. When the engine keeps running and the car doesn't move, it has to be in neutral, right?
    I tested a while ago if I could switch off the engine this way while coasting, but it didn't work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will have to try this next time I have the car...