Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering trade in mine for the CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    My main cars are 5MT. Both Mirages, my Saturn Vue and my summer car. My CVTs are my Burgman 400 bikes. Reverse to most of the world. My rental Mirages from 2015 were CVT and I loved them. You never knew they were a 3 cyl. They were as peppy as a Fiesta/Versa/Accent.
    Wally - I had a Burgman 650 Executive. Let me just tell you, your 400 is superior. I had to TRY to get good mpg with the 650, and the best it would do is equal to the Mirage. It weighed about 6,000 pounds and resisted being pushed around when turned off. I still want to get a PCX (and a Boss Hoss). But I'm footing big college bills right now, and scared to buy a toy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The BE is no slouch though in the amenities department IMO. My wife's 2022 BE comes with unique 15" black alloys, an added OEM center console/armrest (the SE only comes with an armrest with no storage), fog lights, unique red accented stitching and fabric patterns, fog lights, faux-leather steering wheel. The SE only adds push button start, proximity key, and the upgraded dash. Those are cool but not worth another $2k IMO.
    I guess. I do not find the BE appealing enough. It just cosmetics.

I do not get Mitsu Motors logic. the 2023 BE do not come with the fog lamps but the lane departure warning is included. The 2022 BE had the opposite of the aforementioned option. Heck, the 21 SE had that red accent on the grill but the 22 and 23 SE does not. Talk about confusion!
    Last edited by defensivetackle88; 05-02-2023 at 04:11 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to defensivetackle88 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I guess. I donÂ’t find the BE appealing enough.

I donÂ’t get Mitsu MotorsÂ’s logic. the 2023 BE doesnÂ’t come with the fog lamps but the lane departure warning is included. The 2022 BE had the opposite of the aforementioned option. Heck, the 21 SE had that red accent on the grill but the 22 and 23 SE does not. Talk about confusion!
    It's been confusing for a long time. Why does the 2014-15 ES top trim level become the 2017+ ES base trim level?

During the ES, LE, SE, & GT years, why did the cheaper LE have 15" alloy rims & heated seats while the upper more expensive SE trim level had 14" alloy rims & no heated seats?

Why would you offer 4-5 trim levels since 2017 & the price range is only $2,000 (disregarding the manual option)?

From my interaction on this forum, Mitsubishi would have been better off offering two trim levels (in both manual & CVT). The top trim level would have everything including the kitchen sink. The base trim level would remain somewhat popular if they maintained some features like A/C, power windows, power locks with remote entry, & cruise control.

I look at the Mirage as an economy car. For my situation, it doesn't have to be blessed with features that jack up the overall price.

I place zero value on -
    alloy wheels
    automatic transmission *
    push button start *
    power windows
    power locks/remote entry
    auto climate controls *
    heated seats *
    fog lights *
    emergency braking *
    lane departure warning *
    hill start assist *
    auto headlights *

I am not going to list things that are mandated like TPMS & backup cameras, because you can't avoid those items today. I don't have a strong opinion on some things like ABS, but I would gladly live without it if it made the car cheaper.

For those who want all those extra items, throw them on the upper trim level & price the cars accordingly.

Some items (with a * above), I literally don't like. I would pay extra to not have them, but you shouldn't have to do that for a base trim level. I miss affordable base trim level vehicles!

All this is wishful thinking on my part. The manual option will most likely never return. I will never buy a CVT if manual or automatic transmissions exist in other vehicles. I will not compromise on some things, & it's my money.

All this extra crap added to these cars these days have made them very expensive. Most people want all that extra crap, too. I just wish the base trim level existed today! I'd rather spend my money on something else rather than all those extra features on a cheap, little economy car. For those who love extra features, that's why we have upper trim level & there is nothing wrong with that, too!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Wally - I had a Burgman 650 Executive. Let me just tell you, your 400 is superior. I had to TRY to get good mpg with the 650, and the best it would do is equal to the Mirage. It weighed about 6,000 pounds and resisted being pushed around when turned off. I still want to get a PCX (and a Boss Hoss). But I'm footing big college bills right now, and scared to buy a toy.
    I love the 400. I was wary of a small engine coming from a 919 Fireblade. But I wanted 2 wheels I could enjoy and not have my eyeball glued to the speedo. You only know you're doing 160mph by the speedo, the visual difference between 80 and 160mph on a quiet road is not that different.

My 400 pulls me, 150lbs, my friend, she's 125, prolly 35 lb of junk in the trunk, all day long at 80mph on hot days and get this. 88mpg. I kid you not. This thing is nuts. It's 29hp so more stressed than a Mirage engine but so smooth and fun. There's a 30 mile run beside the Niagara River with no lights, intersections or stops. Talk about finding inner peace! The Friday 13th runs to Dover are cool. Imagine 000's of bikes all gathered in a small town.

It's a toss up between the Burgman and my summer car for fun toys. I'm going to add AC/tinted windows to my summer car. There is now a unit that draws 1.5hp! I can part with that on a 90F day.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's been confusing for a long time. Why does the 2014-15 ES top trim level become the 2017+ ES base trim level?

During the ES, LE, SE, & GT years, why did the cheaper LE have 15" alloy rims & heated seats while the upper more expensive SE trim level had 14" alloy rims & no heated seats?

Why would you offer 4-5 trim levels since 2017 & the price range is only $2,000 (disregarding the manual option)?

From my interaction on this forum, Mitsubishi would have been better off offering two trim levels (in both manual & CVT). The top trim level would have everything including the kitchen sink. The base trim level would remain somewhat popular if they maintained some features like A/C, power windows, power locks with remote entry, & cruise control.

I look at the Mirage as an economy car. For my situation, it doesn't have to be blessed with features that jack up the overall price.

I place zero value on -
    alloy wheels
    automatic transmission *
    push button start *
    power windows
    power locks/remote entry
    auto climate controls *
    heated seats *
    fog lights *
    emergency braking *
    lane departure warning *
    hill start assist *
    auto headlights *

I am not going to list things that are mandated like TPMS & backup cameras, because you can't avoid those items today. I don't have a strong opinion on some things like ABS, but I would gladly live without it if it made the car cheaper.

For those who want all those extra items, throw them on the upper trim level & price the cars accordingly.

Some items (with a * above), I literally don't like. I would pay extra to not have them, but you shouldn't have to do that for a base trim level. I miss affordable base trim level vehicles!

All this is wishful thinking on my part. The manual option will most likely never return. I will never buy a CVT if manual or automatic transmissions exist in other vehicles. I will not compromise on some things, & it's my money.

All this extra crap added to these cars these days have made them very expensive. Most people want all that extra crap, too. I just wish the base trim level existed today! I'd rather spend my money on something else rather than all those extra features on a cheap, little economy car. For those who love extra features, that's why we have upper trim level & there is nothing wrong with that, too!
    Oops, extra post. Oh well.

You have to remember these days it may be cheaper for the manufacturer to include features considered premium in the past. Things like HSA & automatic lights are simply settings in the ECM. No real cost. It's probably cheaper these days to buy 4 small motors and gears for windows than bulky cranks and thick steel mounts and tracks. Plus, everything is dirt cheap in large quantities.

I think mITSUBISHI are off the rails with the RVR and Cross which seem to be the same car to me with different trims and drivelines. GM pulled this nonsense with every division offering the same platform with a different name. Consumers voted that down with their wallet. I think my Saturn Vue will never be replaced. There are no comfortable 15l/km loaded 5 seat vehicles with MT! Make that affordable too!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Oops, extra post. Oh well.

You have to remember these days it may be cheaper for the manufacturer to include features considered premium in the past. Things like HSA & automatic lights are simply settings in the ECM. No real cost. It's probably cheaper these days to buy 4 small motors and gears for windows than bulky cranks and thick steel mounts and tracks. Plus, everything is dirt cheap in large quantities.

I think mITSUBISHI are off the rails with the RVR and Cross which seem to be the same car to me with different trims and drivelines. GM pulled this nonsense with every division offering the same platform with a different name. Consumers voted that down with their wallet. I think my Saturn Vue will never be replaced. There are no comfortable 15l/km loaded 5 seat vehicles with MT! Make that affordable too!
    The different names for the same vehicle don't bother me. The Mirage is a Space Star in other markets. I could care less. It could be called a "Sh*t Box", & I would still buy it if it was a good value (affordable, reliable, & economical).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It could be called a "Sh*t Box", & I would still buy it if it was a good value (affordable, reliable, & economical).
    Shhhhh, be quiet. Hyundai will copy your idea!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Shhhhh, be quiet. Hyundai will copy your idea!
    In all honesty, my brain doesn't adjust for inflation very well.

My first new vehicle purchase was a 1988 Isuzu Trooper II (4WD/5-speed manual) for approximately $13,800 (demo model with approximately 1,000 miles). I wish I had kept that vehicle longer than I did, but I wasn't as smart back then. It was a good value in my mind at the time. I test drove a Ford Bronco II after test driving the Trooper, and headed right to the Isuzu dealership & bought it!

$13,800 sounds like a heck of a deal, but that amount of money would equate to approximately $33,200 today (after factoring in the price of inflation). I wouldn't pay $33,000+ for a brand new Isuzu Trooper now, & that was one of the most affordable base model 4-door, 4WD SUVs on the market back then.

Thus, one shouldn't be stuck back in time. Given today's market, I don't value a vehicle enough to pay new vehicle prices. My grandparents (both sides of the family) never owned a new vehicle, and I never thought any less of them. I can't say I admire those who pay $50,000+ for one these days either. Vehicles are necessary for most, but I don't place that much value on them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Going to try test driving the G4 CVT soon. Don’t want any surprise. I expect it to be equal or better than mine. Most importantly, see if I could live with it (I don’t see why it cannot during rush hours)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Going to try test driving the G4 CVT soon. Don’t want any surprise.
    I think you can still rent a Mirage at some car rental places. I've seen them occasionally at a local Enterprise car rental. It might be worth renting one for a day and using it on your rush hour commute.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)