Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering trade in mine for the CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Considering trade in mine for the CVT

I didnÂ’t think the moment will come prematurely but it has just begun.

I have been encountering bumper traffic to traffic M-F thanks to my new job requiring me to be at the office (like it BETTER than my old one BTW), the gear change do get me long leg very tiring during rush hour and it takes the joy away. I just wanted to relax driving and forget about the labor.

I could easily instead drive my highlander to work but I dislike driving that one especially by myself. It like me driving a minivan by myself daily which defeat the purpose of acquiring the G4 in the first place. 17 MPG? No thanks. I love the Mirage!

Additionally, I will be starting Instacart gig soon as well. Plus my wife has recently expressed to me that she has liked the manual gearbox much less than before.

Im casually exploring my options, even as a 2nd hand Mirage CVT for cheap (unlikely these days) or perhaps trading in mine for the new CVT.

Will call dealers around to see if the $ makes sense in a trade. I doubt it will but I wouldnÂ’t know unless I try.

Hopefully, I wonÂ’t be taking a hit in MPG but I really doubt it.

Chime in your thoughts if desired.

I ended up with a cvt mirage partially cause it's a commuter car and I swore I'd never drive another stick after using my truck as a commuter car for over a year...My clutch leg has bolts and a rod in it that get grouchy and lately make some cool popping noises so the less of that the better I think.
    The other reason I have a cvt mirage is cause the best bargains I came across were cvt cars at the time. I was snobby and wanted ac and keyless entry. Most 5spds I found were no-ac stripper models. The cvt isn't so bad. Some can be hit or miss as for reliability.

My biggest complaint is that the older ones, sometimes lurch forward when almost stopped or just after coming to a stop. There's a tsb/reflash that should take care of that but I've never had it done. It makes coming to a smooth stop almost impossible sometimes. I didn't notice this at all on the 2023's. Can't remember if the 2019's were good too?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can confirm that, at least in my own vehicle, the CVT seems quite smooth (2023). No rough transitions or lurches. It performs fine, my van's CVT is much worse in this regard (Pacifica).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    It will be interesting to see what kind of trade value your car has. I think some of these places like CarMax, Carvana, etc. have been overpaying for cars over the last 18 months. Now the used market is soft for dealers (according to the used car auction guys on YouTube) and they can't unload some of their inventory without taking a loss. This might explain some of these CarMax prices that seem to be the same (or more?) than buying new...

Name:  carmax1.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  88.5 KB

If this was last year, I would have told you to contact Carvana, Vroom, etc. and see what they would pay you for your car. People were getting stupid money for used cars last year. But I think these places may have have wised up by now.

It seems like most dealers in the country are still selling cars for MSRP. I'm not sure if anyone is crazy enough to put a "market adjustment" on a Mirage. But you're in LA so anything is possible.

There's an Enterprise Car Rental office near me. I occasionally see a Mirage sitting in their lot. One of these days I'm going to rent it so I can drive a CVT for myself. It sounds like the CVT programming has come a long way since 2014.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    It will be interesting to see what kind of trade value your car has. I think some of these places like CarMax, Carvana, etc. have been overpaying for cars over the last 18 months. Now the used market is soft for dealers (according to the used car auction guys on YouTube) and they can't unload some of their inventory without taking a loss. This might explain some of these CarMax prices that seem to be the same (or more?) than buying new...

Name:  carmax1.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  88.5 KB

If this was last year, I would have told you to contact Carvana, Vroom, etc. and see what they would pay you for your car. People were getting stupid money for used cars last year. But I think these places may have have wised up by now.

It seems like most dealers in the country are still selling cars for MSRP. I'm not sure if anyone is crazy enough to put a "market adjustment" on a Mirage. But you're in LA so anything is possible.

There's an Enterprise Car Rental office near me. I occasionally see a Mirage sitting in their lot. One of these days I'm going to rent it so I can drive a CVT for myself. It sounds like the CVT programming has come a long way since 2014.
    I hear you. But then mine is a 5 speed and I doubt the pool of potential buyer would be equal or better in LA. It a weird spot for me right now to sell/buy a used one ie 14-15, 17-19 CVT.

Will I miss driving a manual if I sold mine today? I would say yes admittedly as a spirit-weekend/back-road cruiser but not when going uphill and on traffic.

**sigh**

On to the #’s game.

The trim level I would really want is something different than mine. Not ES not LE aka “ES Plus” in my book. It would has to be either BE as second pick or SE as #1 pick. I’m sure the SE trim would be very hard to find across the country.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I love a manual transmission. But I believe I would be content with a CVT also. There are plenty of instances where driving an automatic is quite pleasurable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I love a manual transmission. But I believe I would be content with a CVT also. There are plenty of instances where driving an automatic is quite pleasurable.
    Yeah. You’re not alone. I’m like that too.

And what’s unfortunate is that I have just been feeling some kind of nerve(?) pain inside my right leg while driving in bumper 2 bumper traffic. I have never felt this pain. Then it goes away when I position my leg at certain angle which occurs when traffic dies down and when I commute at hwy speed with CC being on. I don’t want this to be chronic or ongoing by all mean. I’m getting old now.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I own both a manual and a CVT Mirage. I like them both, but would choose the CVT for traveling and prefer the manual for commuting.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok, did shop around for an appraisal.

Dealers: $13-14k
    CarMax: $14k
    Shift: $8k LOL
    Caravan: $17k
    Vroom: $15k

Weird market right now.
    Last edited by defensivetackle88; 04-30-2023 at 05:04 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hoping for an even trade to 23 G4 SE. Only in my dream lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to defensivetackle88 For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-01-2023)