Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM to end production of Bolt EV by the end of the year

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    It appears that Chevrolet’s lowly entry-level EV was too good for this world.

If you’ve shopped around for an EV in the past couple of years, you’ve probably encountered a bit of sticker shock. There’s no getting around it: the majority of EVs on the market today, the ones that people actually want to buy because they have a comfortable amount of space and long enough range, are expensive. Despite recent cuts by Tesla, whose cars were ballooning in price for months before declining demand forced the company to slash prices across its line, the average selling price for an EV was still $58,940 in March, according to data from Kelley Blue Book. That’s nearly $15,000 more than the average selling price for a new non-luxury gas-powered car.
    GM killed the Chevy Bolt — and the dream of a small, affordable EV

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I 100% agree. Wouldn't it be nice if Ford announced a new Festiva? But it was a more bare bones, basic, no hybrid or electric anything? Basically a quality alternative to the Mirage. My ears would certainly perk up.

Part of Ford's (and GMs) issue with big cars, big profits is; As I understand, they actually lost money on small eco cars. There's more to that problem than just the fact that their small cars are turds. For example, the Mirage is built in a country where they can put a 5 year old child on the line and pay them $0.02 a day. I don't believe they do that, I'm just making a point. If it took Ford $1,000 in labor to build a modern day Festiva in Detroit, Mitsubishi could build a Mirage for $112 in Thailand. That makes things difficult for U.S. automakers (and small cars). Pair that difficulty with the fact that a lot of people realize Ford & GM make crappy small cars, and I see their reasoning behind going away from it. And they will not try harder because bigger cars = bigger profit.

To me, the ultimate new car that I would have to buy would be:
    • 2025 Dodge Rampage
    • 4 door cabin, (about the size of the Mirage HB),
    • Front or rear wheel drive (wouldn't really matter) unibody,
    • Manual transmission (optional automagic trans),
    • 1.0L TurboDiesel, Parallel Twin Cylinder with a 270° offset crank with an exhaust loud enough to be heard.
    • With just enough rear suspension to tow lightly. Doesn't need to be a 1/2 ton truck at all.
    • Built in the U.S.A.

This is assuming it would not be a turd. Doesn't need to be a Lexus, just not a turd. To configure it the way I would want, it would be easier done as a front wheel drive. The sound of that engine's exhaust note would make most men salivate. Turbo sized to make good lower rpm torque. 80 mph top speed would be perfectly fine with me. However, I would want the engine to be robust enough to be able to leave it floored to run 80 mph and have no negative effect on the engine. Get on the interstate, get it into top gear, and just leave your foot down.

The sound would be like this: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PfDsKFtOXek
    1988-93 Ford Festiva was built in Seoul, Korea. A $5,300 car in 1990 would be about $12,000 today.

This is why brand new Mirage ES manuals for $7,500-9,500 (depending on what rebates you qualified for) caught my attention in 2017. A 2017 Mirage ES manual was a better deal than a 1990 Ford Festiva for $5,300!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    1988-93 Ford Festiva was built in Seoul, Korea. A $5,300 car in 1990 would be about $12,000 today.

This is why brand new Mirage ES manuals for $7,500-9,500 (depending on what rebates you qualified for) caught my attention in 2017. A 2017 Mirage ES manual was a better deal than a 1990 Ford Festiva for $5,300!
    Which means I got a better than $5,300 / 1990 deal when I bought my Blueberry in 10/2020. Is it "a better car" than a Festiva? I suppose. In any event, it is a helluva car. I'm a bit jealous of your Festiva ownership. I just wish that in 1990 I could have seen the value in such vehicles. But even if I had, I couldn't have afforded an expensive $5,300 luxury car at that time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Which means I got a better than $5,300 / 1990 deal when I bought my Blueberry in 10/2020. Is it "a better car" than a Festiva? I suppose. In any event, it is a helluva car. I'm a bit jealous of your Festiva ownership. I just wish that in 1990 I could have seen the value in such vehicles. But even if I had, I couldn't have afforded an expensive $5,300 luxury car at that time.
    If the Mirage had been marketed better, I really do think it would have been more popular. I found dealerships all over the place with pricing when I first became interested in the Mirage.

Car critics didn't help matters either. Everyone should have been shouting out that these cars can be had for dirt cheap if you do some shopping around. Yet, no one was doing that. Instead the car came across as an overpriced cheap economy car, and I blame Mitsubishi for that somewhat. My local Mitsubishi dealership sucked. I mean really sucked! They were so bad that the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicle eventually shut them down to investigate them. How often does that happen? I'm actually surprised Mitsubishi exists with the dealership network they have.

How many forum members are singing praises for any service done at a Mitsubishi dealership? I realize many dealership brands could be the same, but I have big reservations for the one in my area (even after new ownership).

If the general public knew these cars could be had for a relatively low price, I think they may have been somewhat more popular. I don't think the Nissan Micra took much abuse from car critics, because they realized it was an affordable car alternative. It had a base model that was priced right. I realize it didn't survive. That same message was somewhat lost with the Mirage, however, and it deserved some backlash for that.

We all know these are great little economy cars, but it's a car that has to come across as affordable, reliable, and economical. If you remove one of those 3 elements, it loses its charm real fast in my opinion. Some of us may have a different view of what is affordable, & that is OK, too!

I miss affordable base trim level vehicles. Since all my vehicles have been manuals, I've probably owned all base level entry vehicles, too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If the Mirage had been marketed better, I really do think it would have been more popular. I found dealerships all over the place with pricing when I first became interested in the Mirage.

Car critics didn't help matters either. Everyone should have been shouting out that these cars can be had for dirt cheap if you do some shopping around. Yet, no one was doing that. Instead the car came across as an overpriced cheap economy car, and I blame Mitsubishi for that somewhat. My local Mitsubishi dealership sucked. I mean really sucked! They were so bad that the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicle eventually shut them down to investigate them. How often does that happen? I'm actually surprised Mitsubishi exists with the dealership network they have.

How many forum members are singing praises for any service done at a Mitsubishi dealership? I realize many dealership brands could be the same, but I have big reservations for the one in my area (even after new ownership).

If the general public knew these cars could be had for a relatively low price, I think they may have been somewhat more popular. I don't think the Nissan Micra took much abuse from car critics, because they realized it was an affordable car alternative. It had a base model that was priced right. I realize it didn't survive. That same message was somewhat lost with the Mirage, however, and it deserved some backlash for that.

We all know these are great little economy cars, but it's a car that has to come across as affordable, reliable, and economical. If you remove one of those 3 elements, it loses its charm real fast in my opinion. Some of us may have a different view of what is affordable, & that is OK, too!

I miss affordable base trim level vehicles. Since all my vehicles have been manuals, I've probably owned all base level entry vehicles, too.
    The Micra with 118hp was called "sporty" and fun to drive, it wasn't hyped as an econobox. It was more expensive than the Mirage but wasn't really equipped that much better. I almost bought one, there was a great sale in late 2016 clearing them out, great rates, incentives IIRC. I found a loaded brand new Mirage 2014 for $9.x K and bought it.

I've only dealt with 5 Mirage dealers. Newmarket was horrible, arrogant, inflexible. Ottawa was good. No hidden fees, here's the deal, try to find better, you won't. I bought from them. Barrie of all places tried really hard to make a deal with me. it was only a lack of a 5MT other than white that kept me from buying from them. Barrie is also the only dealer I encountered only open from 9AM-5PM WEEKDAYS only!!! Hamilton also surprised me, they priced me a terrific deal on a 2017 SE with great rates. In hindsight I wonder why I didn't buy from them? Huh. Living in Niagara means Hamilton will be my warranty work dealer. Maybe London. I should look into them.

I'm still on the fence about selling my 2017 and coughing up for a new 5MT 2023 while they exist.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    How many forum members are singing praises for any service done at a Mitsubishi dealership?
    I have to give a shout out to the dealer in Pembroke. I had a rattle under my car at times & called the dealer. I quoted a TSB for exhaust hangers ( https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...83951-0001.pdf ) & they ordered parts ahead of time. They fixed it while I waited & covered it under warranty. Very happy with them. Maybe this question could be a new topic???
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm still on the fence about selling my 2017 and coughing up for a new 5MT 2023 while they exist.
    I spotted your Mirage for sale not that long ago. If you can get close to your asking price I'd go buy a brand new one too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I spotted your Mirage for sale not that long ago. If you can get close to your asking price I'd go buy a brand new one too!
    That's neat. I had about 25 interested, a couple I suspect were dealers with cash, likely just tire kickers as well. A new Mirage is still a possibility.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The Micra with 118hp was called "sporty" and fun to drive, it wasn't hyped as an econobox. It was more expensive than the Mirage but wasn't really equipped that much better. I almost bought one, there was a great sale in late 2016 clearing them out, great rates, incentives IIRC. I found a loaded brand new Mirage 2014 for $9.x K and bought it.

I've only dealt with 5 Mirage dealers. Newmarket was horrible, arrogant, inflexible. Ottawa was good. No hidden fees, here's the deal, try to find better, you won't. I bought from them. Barrie of all places tried really hard to make a deal with me. it was only a lack of a 5MT other than white that kept me from buying from them. Barrie is also the only dealer I encountered only open from 9AM-5PM WEEKDAYS only!!! Hamilton also surprised me, they priced me a terrific deal on a 2017 SE with great rates. In hindsight I wonder why I didn't buy from them? Huh. Living in Niagara means Hamilton will be my warranty work dealer. Maybe London. I should look into them.

I believe the Micra had a base model that was cheaper than the Mirage base model, but I may be wrong about that. Darin would most likely know. The Micra was way more basic than our base model Mirage. All of our Mirages have had A/C, power windows, & power locks with remote entry. Your early Mirage base models were more basic, but I believe the Micra was even more basic.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Micra, IIRC, had crank front windows. For 2016, the year I first looked the Micra base seemed better than the Mirage base. IIRC the Micra had A/C all trims. Darrin should chime in.