Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM to end production of Bolt EV by the end of the year

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts

GM to end production of Bolt EV by the end of the year

GM plans to stop production of its electric Chevrolet Bolt models by the end of this year, CEO Mary Barra told investors Tuesday when discussing the company’s first-quarter earnings.

The Chevy Bolt EV and EUV, a larger version of the car, make up the vast majority of the company’s electric vehicle sales to date. However, the battery cells in the cars are an older design and chemistry than the automaker’s newer electric vehicles such as the GMC Hummer and Cadillac Lyriq, which utilize GM’s Ultium architecture.

The Bolt models, starting under $30,000, are the least expensive new electric vehicles on sale in the U.S. GM’s upcoming Equinox EV is expected to have a similar starting price when it arrives this fall.

Link to CNBC Article

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-25-2023),mohammad (04-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I have very little respect for Ford & GM leadership. I've never seen it where company leadership has been so out of tune with their consumers. Pass me a Bud Light! Not!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was really bummed to see this... I think they could get another year or two out of the Bolt and it's bigger EUV version (which only sold for 22 and 23...) especially with the markets going to hell. A sub $30,000 EV was a huge push for people to buy these things... but because now they got it right they gotta take it away.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    it probably isnt very profitable especially considering how tesla has lowered prices recently
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I was really bummed to see this... I think they could get another year or two out of the Bolt and it's bigger EUV version (which only sold for 22 and 23...) especially with the markets going to hell. A sub $30,000 EV was a huge push for people to buy these things... but because now they got it right they gotta take it away.
    The only people I know personally that have bought new vehicles recently both bought Chevy Bolts. The $7,500 tax credit made the Bolt look even more appealing to both of them.

Ford & GM's desire for profit may just kill them as companies!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The only people I know personally that have bought new vehicles recently both bought Chevy Bolts. The $7,500 tax credit made the Bolt look even more appealing to both of them.

As a crazy blue oval fan since 6 learned to drive, I admit I'm hoping Ford's hubris kills them off forever. No cars? The Mustang doesn't count to me. 4 doors? W.T.F? Ranger $50K ? Maverick $26K when it was promised at $19k.

No, Ford deserves to die a horrible and slow death. The crap they foisted on consumers make me ill. The dual clutch that never works right? Year after year Ford kept producing it knowing it would never be right. I just learned Ford has more class action suits coming from their design of the water pump inside the engine and the corroded seals allow AF into the oil which destroys the engine. About a $2.5K fix if caught BEFORE the main bearings get toasted. It's an engine swap otherwise. This from a company which pioneered some many things we take for granted. Ford needs to go broke and disappear from the world forever.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    No profit, no company. Maybe you mean EXCESSIVE profit. I do agree with you though.

To me, I never look at Ford vehicles. They have NOTHING I desire. I generally chalk it up to my oddball preferences, but there may be more to it. The fact that any car company WOULD NOT have an entry level car is just poor leadership. Let me (try to) explain why. Toyota (when I was with them) was all about entry level cars. Because if a customer who was somewhat young and just starting to make some money would purchase an entry level Toyota, the chances of them buying another Toyota was fairly high. So they would do their best to make the entry level cars really quite good. So a customer would be so tickled with their cheap car, they'd want a bigger more expensive Toyota later.

But in the case of Ford, people are stuck buying an expensive vehicle now, that turns out to be a turd, as Wally describes. Nobody wants a second round with another turd. Selling expensive turds is what will kill an automotive company.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    No profit, no company. Maybe you mean EXCESSIVE profit. I do agree with you though.

To me, I never look at Ford vehicles. They have NOTHING I desire. I generally chalk it up to my oddball preferences, but there may be more to it. The fact that any car company WOULD NOT have an entry level car is just poor leadership. Let me (try to) explain why. Toyota (when I was with them) was all about entry level cars. Because if a customer who was somewhat young and just starting to make some money would purchase an entry level Toyota, the chances of them buying another Toyota was fairly high. So they would do their best to make the entry level cars really quite good. So a customer would be so tickled with their cheap car, they'd want a bigger more expensive Toyota later.

But in the case of Ford, people are stuck buying an expensive vehicle now, that turns out to be a turd, as Wally describes. Nobody wants a second round with another turd. Selling expensive turds is what will kill an automotive company.
    Absolutely agree about Ford. My wife's side of the family is old school Michigan Ford UAW types. I would love to support Ford. They make nothing, and I mean *nothing* I want to drive though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage BE 1.2 automatic: 36.5 mpg (US) ... 15.5 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 43.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

What I meant was Ford is only interested in selling high end vehicles that yield a higher profit rather than cars like my former 1990 Ford Festiva I bought brand new for $5,300 33 years ago.

They have zero interest in offering affordable vehicles. I think this is very short sighted on their part!

Someone might own a nice fully loaded F-150 to pull their boat or camper, but they may also want a 2nd vehicle that is more economical & affordable, too.

Ford lacks vision & good leadership these days. They really lost their roots. Henry Ford was a man who had a vision, & he changed the auto industry!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    What I meant was Ford is only interested in selling high end vehicles that yield a higher profit rather than cars like my former 1990 Ford Festiva I bought brand new for $5,300 33 years ago.
    I 100% agree. Wouldn't it be nice if Ford announced a new Festiva? But it was a more bare bones, basic, no hybrid or electric anything? Basically a quality alternative to the Mirage. My ears would certainly perk up.

Part of Ford's (and GMs) issue with big cars, big profits is; As I understand, they actually lost money on small eco cars. There's more to that problem than just the fact that their small cars are turds. For example, the Mirage is built in a country where they can put a 5 year old child on the line and pay them $0.02 a day. I don't believe they do that, I'm just making a point. If it took Ford $1,000 in labor to build a modern day Festiva in Detroit, Mitsubishi could build a Mirage for $112 in Thailand. That makes things difficult for U.S. automakers (and small cars). Pair that difficulty with the fact that a lot of people realize Ford & GM make crappy small cars, and I see their reasoning behind going away from it. And they will not try harder because bigger cars = bigger profit.

To me, the ultimate new car that I would have to buy would be:
    • 2025 Dodge Rampage
    • 4 door cabin, (about the size of the Mirage HB),
    • Front or rear wheel drive (wouldn't really matter) unibody,
    • Manual transmission (optional automagic trans),
    • 1.0L TurboDiesel, Parallel Twin Cylinder with a 270° offset crank with an exhaust loud enough to be heard.
    • With just enough rear suspension to tow lightly. Doesn't need to be a 1/2 ton truck at all.
    • Built in the U.S.A.

This is assuming it would not be a turd. Doesn't need to be a Lexus, just not a turd. To configure it the way I would want, it would be easier done as a front wheel drive. The sound of that engine's exhaust note would make most men salivate. Turbo sized to make good lower rpm torque. 80 mph top speed would be perfectly fine with me. However, I would want the engine to be robust enough to be able to leave it floored to run 80 mph and have no negative effect on the engine. Get on the interstate, get it into top gear, and just leave your foot down.

The sound would be like this: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PfDsKFtOXek

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)