Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage brake shoe problems... (some aftermarket shoes won't work)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's not that bad. There's enough aftermarket shoes and drums out there. The shoes fit Versa, i-miev, and mirage, supposedly. The shoes I tried first were identical except for the missing hole where a spring goes.
    As for drums, the older 14-15 drums are still relatively pricey. The cheapest ones I came across for my 2014 were bare drums so I bought new wheel bearings(because mine had 300k km) and re-use the old c-clip,wheel studs and abs ring.

Raybestos sells drums that come with the bearing and studs installed and it looks like the abs ring is too. I think they're cheaper than buying a 14-15 drum.

The drum I installed on this 2017(2017+) came with studs and wheel bearing installed but no abs ring. I recall someone posting about an abs light after having drums by a shop and they didn't swap that ring over...
    The big problem is these cars don't sell like F150's and Rav4's so mfg are probably more interested in making more parts for popular vehicles. And retailers don't stock parts that they don't sell often so it's common to have to make two trips to get most parts for these cars.
    I get what you're saying but hell, they've sold over 200k Mirages in North America. There's a lot of other vehicles that are much more rare but I can easily order aftermarket for on the big retail sites.

It's just frustrating. Don't mind my whinging though lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I get what you're saying but hell, they've sold over 200k Mirages in North America. There's a lot of other vehicles that are much more rare but I can easily order aftermarket for on the big retail sites.

It's just frustrating. Don't mind my whinging though lol.
    Yeah, good point. But of those 200k some are 2014-2015 the rest use 2017+ brakes. And they changed the front and rear end 3 times now so that can be a factor?

My Kawasaki Side by side isn't very popular and the aftermarket parts market is pretty small for it, just like the Mirage. Mine wasn't the most expensive one out there either. The aftermarket for the more popular and expensive machines(can-am and polaris) is huge in comparison. There are lots of similarity's between my machine and the Mirage. They both have the longest standard warranty in the industry, aren't gonna win any races, seem pretty reliable, easy to maintain(except the kawi drive belt and spark plugs), and have low cost of ownership.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-28-2023)

Brake shoe CSI... thanks Fummins!

Added a couple of words to the thread title for clarity.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-27-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ugh. I have to do the fronts on my 17. It's very likely the rears will need replacing. I might as well, I'm at 50,000 miles.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

You might want to look at your rear brakes before ordering parts up that'll collect dust. This car I changed the rear brakes on has 448,000kms/278000miles and my records show it's the first time they've been done.
    You should be good for another 27 1/2 years. Unless my math is off, which is very likely.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-27-2023 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spellings

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (04-28-2023),inuvik (04-27-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You might want to look at your rear brakes before ordering parts up that'll collect dust. This car I changed the rear brakes on has 448,000kms/278000miles and my records shoe it's the first time they've been done.
    You should be good for another 27 1/2 years. Unless my math is off, which is very likely.
    Holy F.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just did the rear shoes on my 2017 with 150,000 miles. They were not worn out, but unbonding and rust jacked. Also found a siezed wheel cylinder.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-27-2023),inuvik (04-27-2023),Top_Fuel (04-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Ugh. I have to do the fronts on my 17. It's very likely the rears will need replacing. I might as well, I'm at 50,000 miles.
    I've replaced my front pads and rotors 3 times and have yet to replace the rears on the mirage - mostly because I'm scared of replacing drum parts.

Replacing the pads/rotors up front is like a 10min job (not including jacking up the car and wheel removal)

I finally got to the original reason this car is here. The engine light came on and apparently sometimes the car doesn't want to move. Took if for a drive and sure enough, when it tried to shift(aux gearbox deal) it acted up and killed throttle for a few seconds until I let off. It only did it once and drove fine for the next 10 mins. Except for a bit of a whine that sounded almost like a turbo whistle. I tried reving it up when I got back to the shop and it wouldn't. Could hold the throttle to the floor in park and nothing happened. It also began clunking hard when shifting into any gear and the shift indicator was flashing in every position except park. Trans temps were well under 100c, I already forgot the exact temp but it was probably around 60-70c. It's throwing a P0285A Which my scanner shows as a 2nd Gear/Interlock Fail. Yay!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi Fummins. I am the owner of a 2019 ES Hatchback, and I was wondering what service I should have done periodically to the rear brakes to keep from having issues down the road? I currently have 53,000 Km on the car. I am not able to do the work myself due to a combination of living in a Strata building, where bylaws prevent working on cars on common property and arthritis.