Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Mirage brake shoe problems... (some aftermarket shoes won't work)

Quote Originally Posted by spiritorb View Post
    Hi Fummins. I am the owner of a 2019 ES Hatchback, and I was wondering what service I should have done periodically to the rear brakes to keep from having issues down the road? I currently have 53,000 Km on the car. I am not able to do the work myself due to a combination of living in a Strata building, where bylaws prevent working on cars on common property and arthritis.
    There's isn't much to service. Could blow the dust out and make sure everything is moving properly, put a little grease or anti seize where the shoes rub on the backing plates, replace any nfg parts(brake hardware kit) if it's too crusty. Use the e-brake once in a while to keep everything moving. They usually seem to last 2-4 times longer than the front brakes on these cars even with nothing more than blowing the dust out once in a blue moon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There's isn't much to service. Could blow the dust out and make sure everything is moving properly, put a little grease or anti seize where the shoes rub on the backing plates, replace any nfg parts(brake hardware kit) if it's too crusty. Use the e-brake once in a while to keep everything moving. They usually seem to last 2-4 times longer than the front brakes on these cars even with nothing more than blowing the dust out once in a blue moon.
    Thanks for your kind advice, Fummins. I do use the e-brake every day, so no worries there. I have the brakes inspected by a local garage where I have my service done on a regular basis. I won't let the shoes get down too low before replacing them so as not to damage the drums.

I have to look at the back brakes on my 2014...I replaced the drums and shoes late last year and now they howl when coming to a stop. I use the e-brake often enough but me thinks the cables might be sticky...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just wanted to throw some more field study here for future DIYer's.

My gf's Mirage G4 (2019) was in need of rear drum shoe replacement and after doing tons of research on aftermarket and replacement pieces: I found that frankly, there are no real solid "go to" answers anywhere. Fummins has great information here though, and I wanted to add to this thread and to his research.

If you also have a 2017+ G4 these are what the rear drum shoe assembly looks like

Name:  drum shoe assembly.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  87.7 KB

Here is what is shown as available via RockAuto. As Fummins stated earlier, the Raybestos #778PG doesn't work because of the cutout for the adjustment screw is not there, and the Wagner #Z294 does not work either.

Name:  mirage g4 rockauto shoe selection.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  93.5 KB

I ordered the Centric #11109240 and the Dynamic Friction #1901092400 to see if either one would work (have used those brands before on other vehicles without issue)

The Centric #11109240 WILL NOT FIT because they are too wide. The 2017+ Mirage G4 requires a 203mm diameter diameter and a 30mm width and the specs below show that they are slightly too big. Sure enough, they fit correctly on the drum assembly, but that extra 2mm in diameter makes the drums not fit over the shoes. YOU CAN USE THEM IF YOU WANT TO SHAVE DOWN THE PAD MATERIAL, but why would you do that?

Name:  centric specs.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  31.4 KB

The Dynamic Friction #1901092400 also DOES NOT WORK. The diameter is correct (203mm) and the drum fits over the shoes while mocked up on the hub with springs, however the pin of which the ebrake cable and adjustment tab attach onto IS NOT THE CORRECT SIZE.

Here is the OEM brake shoe and pin (note the size and space from the notch)

Name:  OEM brake shoe.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  80.5 KB

Compared to the DF brake shoe and pin (again, note the size and distance from the notch)

Name:  DF brake shoe.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  83.0 KB

Since the pin is too large, the adjustment tab will not fit without modification to either the tab OR knocking the pin out. (Note the gap from the pin and the tab hole)

Name:  DF tab pin.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  82.4 KB

In addition, the adjustment tab cannot properly rotate to the correct position because of the pin size (see area circled in red). This could possibly be fixed if the pin would be the correct size, but again, why would you severely modify a brake shoe, just to make it fit?

Name:  DF tab clearence.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  76.2 KB

I'm going to order the PowerStop and Bosch variants up next and see if they work, and will report back with results. The AC Delco #17778B is $47 which is only ~$5 from buying OEM (#4600A028), so it's not much of a deal; might as well just buy OEM for $50 off MitsubishiPartsNow.com and call it a day, if you want to go that way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLDR: Centric #11109240 doesn't fit without shaving down the pad material, and Dynamic Friction #1901092400, won't fit unless you change/modify the pin and/or bore out/modify the adjustment lever notch to fit the DF pin.
    Last edited by Lakalister; 08-21-2023 at 02:31 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakalister For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-21-2023),Top_Fuel (08-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do have good news though!

If you do have to change out your brake shoes, you'll most likely want to change out the springs and hardware to ensure your new shoes actually last. However, again, there are no options readily available or accessible.

I did some cross-referencing and since the Lancer and Mirage share "rear brake shoe" options, then that would mean the hardware should be the same correct? Well...........YES and NO.

The drum shoes listed on RockAuto are supposed to also fit Lancers from 2008-2016, so I searched with that criteria, and sure enough, they have a drum hardware kit, actually many of them, available. I bought the Centric #11863022 kit and 95% of the hardware works with the Mirage (G4) drum brakes. I'm not 100% sure if the normal hatchback Mirage shares similar rear drums as the G4 though.

The only parts that do not fit with the Mirage rear drums are the inspection grommets (see below). The Lancer ones are slightly larger than the Mirage ones. But again, if you want to be adventurous, you might be able to trim them and force them to fit. However, if you original ones are fine, then I'd just leave them be; just make sure they are not ripped/torn.

OEM grommet on top, and Centric (Lancer spec) on bottom

Name:  shoe hardware issue.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  72.4 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakalister For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-21-2023),Top_Fuel (08-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakalister View Post
    ...might as well just buy OEM for $50 off MitsubishiPartsNow.com and call it a day
    Thanks for doing all of that work and posting about it.

The average Mirage owner (who may replace brake shoes once or twice over the life of the car) should just spend an extra few $ to get OEM shoes. It's amazing how many aftermarket shoes don't work!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I just did the rear shoes on my 2017 with 150,000 miles. They were not worn out, but unbonding and rust jacked. Also found a siezed wheel cylinder.
    Johnny - Did you use OEM brake shoes, or did you find aftermarket brake shoes that fit?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ***UPDATE***

Ordered the PowerStop B924 shoes and the Bosch BS924 shoes to try. Only opened the PowerStop ones (they were the closest box to me at the time) and GOOD NEWS: THEY FIT!

The pin which the adjustment tab and the Ebrake catch fit onto, is the correct size, and the shoes are the correct overall diameter (203mm) so that the drums fit over top everything when it's reinstalled. The adjustment for the new shoes themselves took me a while, but other than that, everything went back together well. I'm going to send back the Bosch ones for store credit, but in the future, if/when we replace them again, I might reorder them both and try out the Bosch first to narrow down what other options are still available.

So for now, if you don't want to go OEM, you're best option is the PowerStop B924 and the Centric 11863022 kit for a nice and clean rear shoe replacement.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lakalister For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-28-2023),inuvik (08-28-2023),Mark (08-28-2023),pawpaw (08-31-2023),Top_Fuel (08-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakalister View Post
    ***UPDATE***

Ordered the PowerStop B924 shoes and the Bosch BS924 shoes to try. Only opened the PowerStop ones (they were the closest box to me at the time) and GOOD NEWS: THEY FIT!

The pin which the adjustment tab and the Ebrake catch fit onto, is the correct size, and the shoes are the correct overall diameter (203mm) so that the drums fit over top everything when it's reinstalled. The adjustment for the new shoes themselves took me a while, but other than that, everything went back together well. I'm going to send back the Bosch ones for store credit, but in the future, if/when we replace them again, I might reorder them both and try out the Bosch first to narrow down what other options are still available.

So for now, if you don't want to go OEM, you're best option is the PowerStop B924 and the Centric 11863022 kit for a nice and clean rear shoe replacement.
    I have a feeling this will be a post that I will be looking for again some day! Thanks for sharing all that!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-28-2023)