Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beanshi :: 2022 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Beanshi
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Infrared
    5MT

Traveling copy repair technician service pod. Bought for my work vehicle primarily for MPG and to teach myself to drive manual. Will be doing mods and upgrades along the way. Stay tuned for more tuning!

Details

aftermarket fog light kit
    darkened side turn signal lights
    rear bumper guard plate
    rainguards

Ralco RZ short throw shifter ('02 Lancer/EVO VIII)
    weighted round shift knob with red carbon fiber styling
    aftermarket leather center console
    rear seat delete for extra cargo space
    Mitsubishi analog clock install into dash
    leather steering wheel cover, hand-stitched install
    leather seat covers
    fake BRIDE neck rest pillows and shift boot for +10 HP

JVC CS-J620 300W 6.5" speakers

OEM 1.2L DOHC MIVEC 3-banger
    Hella Stark Sound – 109.23.37 – upgraded horns

UltraRacing rear sway bar

14" OEM steel wheels, plans for 15" Konig alloys later
    aftermarket hubcabs, centercaps, valve stem caps
    DIY mudflaps

Comments: 23 / Views: 12851
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just noticed this post. Does your car not already have the OEM fog light switch like pretty much every 2015+ Mirage sold in north america? It should be on the signal arm with the headlight switch? That amazon fog light kit looks like it comes with it's own stand alone wiring harness. I don't think these cars ever came with a fog light switch mounted to the dash.
    Well how embarrassing! Looks like you're completely correct! I just went outside and did the ETACS procedure and now I've got functional fog lights! That's why you're the pro and I'm the bumblefack with a wrench, Fummins! lol!

Name:  IMG_3185.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3184.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  72.2 KB

Victory!

Name:  IMG_3186.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  90.0 KB

Much appreciated. That will teach me to assume things without looking more closely or at least consulting a wiring diagram. If you have one handy, do you know what that plug behind the dash would be for? Push to start perhaps?

In other news I did install leather seat covers and the UltraRacing rear sway bar. EZ PZ.

Name:  IMG_3177[1].jpg
Views: 362
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3180.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3182.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  92.4 KB

I'd say the sway bar reduces body roll by maybe 50% which feels substantial in the Mirage. I'm not wary to take corners with a hatch full of cargo now.

Stay tuned for more tuning.

Last edited by jonesboro; 05-30-2023 at 12:37 AM.
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-29-2023),inuvik (06-25-2023),Mark (05-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by jonesboro View Post
    Well how embarrassing! Looks like you're completely correct! I just went outside and did the ETACS procedure and now I've got functional fog lights! .
    Glad you got that fingered out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

jonesboro (05-30-2023)

I'm not sure what that plug is for? Could be to shut the auto start/stop off(not offered over here) or could be for the headlight adjuster(also not available here). I don't have a newer schematic. Newest I have is 2017. I think my hookup for Mitchel on demand is no longer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Today's project: update some interior details and add some DIY mudflaps.

Added this 4G63 air freshener. It looked kinda rad. The air freshener bar that came with it gave me a major headache so I tossed that and kept the shell.

Name:  IMG_3204.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  50.7 KB

Replaced the stock shift boot with a fake BRIDE boot that came with my shift knob. This was interesting to do as it requires cutting the thread holding the stock boot to the....bent coat hanger? ....and sewing the new one around it. The retention method to hold the...bent coat hanger...is just a few plastic brackets in the shifter house. I'm no seamstress but I think I did okay. Drove around all day today and it's held fine.

Name:  IMG_3209.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3210.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  61.4 KB

Here's an updated shot of the interior. The red on black theme is working out well I think.

Name:  IMG_3214.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  51.5 KB

Added some DIY mudflaps that you have to cut and drill yourself. It seems like they're the same material as those roll-up cutting boards they sell at the dollar store. I fit one side against the inner liner and drilled to match the stock clip holes where possible, then I would take the modified flap and hold it against the other side's flap as a template for cutting/drilling. I did have to drill a few additional holes in the front for more clip support and 1 extra hole in the rears. The rear is a little slanted due to how I mounted them but I kinda like the look and it should deflect pebbles better than before in any case. I also didn't want them to stick out the side too far in case it would catch aero drag. I put mostly HWY miles on this car and I don't want to lose my cutting boards @ 80 MPH lol. Maybe if I get another set I'll do them lower next time.

Name:  IMG_3215.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3218.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  20230615_101009.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  20230615_100833.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  96.1 KB

And this is a shot of the reason I removed the rear seat. This is only a little over half of what I can usually fit in it.

Name:  20230615_100917.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  82.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-15-2023),inuvik (06-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Today's project: upgrade our horn from the meep meep stock horn to dual Hella horns. One is 500 Hz and one is 300 Hz. You'll need a 10, 12, and 13mm wrenches/sockets for this if you're doing it like I did.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ASK3BP8

Name:  IMG_3238.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  81.2 KB

Got a wiring harness separate with everything we need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMX9L2F

Name:  IMG_3239.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  44.1 KB

It was really nice of Mitsubishi to give us the horn from an electric scooter, however we seem to have a car here.

Name:  IMG_3245.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  84.5 KB

The stock horn is mounted down in the car just above the low side A/C hookup. A 10mm nut and washer hold the stock horn to a metal tab that sticks out approx. 3 inches from the chassis (a 12mm bolt if you wanna remove that too). Seems there is one 12v positive running to the horn and it grounds itself by being bolted via the tab to the chassis, i.e. no grounding wire.

If you're reusing the original metal mounting tab you'll have to drill it out slightly to fit the bolt on the back of the Hella horns. The new ones come with new tabs and I used them as well for extra support.

Name:  IMG_3240.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3242.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  47.4 KB

It's relatively straight-forward to install: just follow the wiring diagram posted above. All grounds ran to chassis and for the horn button itself I just used the same spade connector positive lead for the old horn and plugged straight in to the new wiring harness, cut the spade connector off the harness's negative lead and crimped on a Y-terminal to seat under a chassis bolt. I did not trust the stability of the original mounting location for anything bigger than a scooter horn so the horns were mounted towards the front with the horns facing down.

Here's the finished install. Yes, it can be cleaned up a little better. I will likely remove some of the extra wiring in the loom that I tucked just below the inlet snorkle. For now it is secure and everything is out of the way.

Name:  IMG_3244.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  54.8 KB

Install successful. These horns are ridiculously loud; as in you're gonna scare a grown-ass man with them if they are nearby and unprepared. Should suffice for the highway.
    Last edited by jonesboro; 06-25-2023 at 05:30 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2023),inuvik (06-25-2023)

That's one thing I think I really should upgrade...I honked at a guy that walked out into traffic seconds after the light turned green. He didn't even flinch. I was only a few feet away lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

jonesboro (06-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will you make a video to recap all the work done (for the horn swap)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    Will you make a video to recap all the work done (for the horn swap)?
    I could do a recap on it. Is there a part you want covered specifically?
    Last edited by jonesboro; 06-26-2023 at 04:09 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I would like to hear the sound. I thought about beeping mine one time, I knew I'd be too embarrassed afterward. So I didn't beep. Yes ... upgrade. My son's 2007 RX8 horn is LAF. Nice deep sound too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

jonesboro (06-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I would like to hear the sound. I thought about beeping mine one time, I knew I'd be too embarrassed afterward. So I didn't beep. Yes ... upgrade. My son's 2007 RX8 horn is LAF. Nice deep sound too.
    There is no greater "...am I the Karen?" moment than getting pissed in your Mirage and meeping the stock horn. It just returns instant shame lmao

My uncle keeps trying to get me to buy a rotary. Did not know they had a nice horn, but that's pretty cool. I gotta be honest tho my next fun car will likely be another DSM before they're extinct. Lawd help me I got the sickness, and the only cure is more Eclipses.

Edit: someone on the forum posted a before/after type vid with these horns on another set of cars. 100% accurate though!

Quote Originally Posted by Messy Mitsu View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWm2PgAQE7E not my video but it shows a good vs stock comparison. they are about 100$ on ebay, sickspeed also sells the same thing but different colors but they sell the wiring kit seperately

Last edited by jonesboro; 06-26-2023 at 07:07 PM.